TKR Incision site

Honestly, I have no idea. I only go by the feel of it. I know it's improving because I can get in and out of the car easier. I also get more of a bend when I do my exercises. My PT only measures once a month which is fine by me. If I were to guess, I would say 110 - 115 when there is no swelling. That's another thing... don't expect a good measure if your knee is swollen. I was 106 at 5 weeks and 90 at 6 weeks. The only difference as near as I could tell was the degree of swelling.

Wishing you well in your recovery.
 
That’s great! It’s amazing those small things- like noticing Getting into and out of the car. That will be a great feeling!
 
A lot of it has to do with how much ROM you had pre-surgery. It takes a while to stretch those muscles and ligaments especially if you have gone months or years without using them. I have stopped worrying about ROM and focus more on how my leg/knee feels. At the end of the day, it really doesn't matter what the number is as long as you can do what you need to do and you are better than you were pre-surgery. yes, it feels really good to get that leg in and out of the car without feeling like a contortionist. LOL.
 
Three months before surgery I was still cycling 50+ miles on the weekend and daily commuting by bike 15 miles round trip to work. I was backpacking 5-10 miles last fall with a loaded pack. I want to be able to do the things that I love again, which requires good motion to do so. And stability, which is what I didn’t have pre-survey. My ROM was 140 or more before, even after an old knee surgery that left me in an immobilized brace for 3 months. I got it back then and I will get it back now. I know it takes time and patience and lots of TLC. At 37 I want to be able to play and be outdoors with my kids and not worry or have to say no because I’m afraid of getting hurt. I’m taking the time off work to take good care of myself and not rush a back to a busy clinic where I would be on my feet all day. That would stunt my recovery. I thought originally I would be back to work in 4 weeks. Now I know it will be at least 8, maybe more, and I’m ok with that. I’d like this knee to work well and to it’s full potential and for 30 years! So taking the time now will hopefully give that back to me then.
 
That's the right attitude... My surgeon said that ideally, I should expect to take 12 weeks off work. Fortunately, I'm in a position to do that. I can't imagine taking less. At 8 weeks, I'm spending my days napping, exercising, going to the pool or to physio and icing/elevating. I have no energy and can't stay in the same position for very long. I'm also sleeping poorly often not till 6 a.m. and the of course, I end up sleeping the morning away. I need to get back to a regular sleep pattern before going back.
You were able to do it before despite being laid up for three months. You will do it again. Before you know it, you will be back to your activities. Have a happy Mother's day.
 
I see my surgeon tomorrow. His nurse had told me he wants 115’ by 6 weeks or he does an MUA.
So what happened?


I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?
 
@MaryMC
I was able to do a yoga child pose before surgery, with my heels touching the buttock. Now at almost 7 months post operative, can do the same pose. I got all ROM back. You will too!
I didn’t do anything unusual to get it back, just mild stretches, ice, elevate and rest.
 
Sure Josephine .

And thanks for the encouragement mutti!

And Josephine- I wrote a post updating my visit with him. Doc understands that my surgery was not quite the same as far as recovery goes. I was at 90 when he saw me. He would like me to be at 115-120 at week 8. He thinks I can get there on my own, but would do an MUA if not. He knows how I feel about this.

I was already at 94 with ease the next day.
 
I have one area right on my incision line that when I bend it more than about 85’ it pinches. It’s as if something is caught and when the skin is pulled there I have a pokie little needle digging in.

I am guessing it is probably scar tissue? Or maybe a stitch working it’s way out? (More like a scar tissue if I could guess).

Does anyone have any idea on how to rid that? Or if it will pull away by itself over time? I’ve been rubbing it to try and break that up a bit but it doesn’t seem to make a difference.

Happy Mother’s Day to all you moms!
 
It's probably an internal suture that hasn't finished dissolving yet - not scar tissue. Leave it alone and let your knee continue to heal. All those funny little lumps and bumps and strange things will go away spontaneously as time passes.
 
It’s like adding insult to injury:) Here - your Bend is really coming along, but I’m going to pinch you while you try:)
 
Your bend is doing just fine and will continue to do so.

Just give yourself and your knee time. After such a major operation, you can't expect everything to heal fast. The internal sutures take a while to dissolve, because they are still needed until your tissues have healed more.
Having a knee replaced isn't an instant fix.
TKRs and our fast food society
 
You will have all kinds of ups and downs, forwards and backwards and even some sidewards days. Some days if it isn’t this, it’s that. That’s what recovery from knee replacement is.

Just relax and go with the flow. All of a sudden you’ll be feeling better.
 
I am guessing it is probably scar tissue? Or maybe a stitch working it’s way out? (More like a scar tissue if I could guess).
Oh you ladies do come up with some fanciful ideas! It's none of those things, just plain and simple healing which can take several weeks. Leave it alone!
 
That doesn’t make sense to me. It’s clearly in one specific spot, and you can see it pulling directly over the kneecap over the incision. It only is when I bend over 85’. The pain goes away if I push my skin down towards my foot, but if I slacken it, it pulls tight in that one little spot.

Josephine can you tell me why it could not be one of those two things. Both PTs and the doc thought it could be either. Would love to hear why you think it isn’t.

Also you mentioned a couple times that you wanted to ask me some questions...so please fire away
 
It’s clearly in one specific spot, and you can see it pulling directly over the kneecap over the incision. It only is when I bend over 85’. The pain goes away if I push my skin down towards my foot, but if I slacken it, it pulls tight in that one little spot.
Well, you know what - you never told me that! I'm not psychic y'know!
Josephine can you tell me why it could not be one of those two things. Both PTs and the doc thought it could be either. Would love to hear why you think it isn’t.
Experience.
 
I did- I have one area right on my incision line that when I bend it more than about 85’ it pinches. It’s as if something is caught and when the skin is pulled there I have a pokie little needle digging in.
Perhaps you missed it

See post 89 the first sentence
 
It’s as if something is caught and when the skin is pulled there I have a pokie little needle digging in.
I'm pretty sure that's a stitch beneath the skin surface. It is pulling tissues together. Once it has dissolved, that feleing should go. For now, leave it alone and stop worrying about it. It will sort itself out as time passes.
 
Thanks Celle- appreciate it. Not really worried so much as it’s a silly thing that’s limiting my ROM. Annoyed.
 
Your knee is much too young to be worried about ROM yet. That comes will time and healing!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom