Bilateral TKR I'm on the other side and looking for the handshake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've traveled with many MDs over the years and watched as they popped 3 ibuprofen at once. One even claimed they did'nt work for her with less than 3. I do have a large bottle of extra strength Tylenol but they never do much for me. May have to try the Aleve
 
The prescription dose of ibuprofen is 800 mg. I pulled a muscle once and my dr said to take 4 of the OTC 200 mg ones three times a day to get the best anti inflammatory results. You wouldn't want to do that for longs though. Any NSAIDS can cause ulcers and bleeding after a while. Of course, Tylenol is hard on the liver. It never helps me much either. Aleve is good and long lasting. It's naproxen sodium, another NSAID. It works well for me.
 
Tylenol is not hard on your liver unless you have liver problems, take more than the recommended dose or drink when you're taking it. It's really very safe when taken properly. Many people are not fans of NSAIDs. But they work for a lot of people with no problems.

Connie, you're right that the prescription dose of ibuprofen is 800mg. But the important word there is "prescription." Doses higher than the 2 tablets on the over the counter bottle shouldn't be taken unless prescribed by a doctor who knows all your medical issues.

The thing I found with Tylenol is that it never worked for me until I learned to take the full dose of 1000mg at a time. Then for me it is an effective pain reliever plus it helps me sleep on those nights I seem to be awake at 3 a.m.
 
Yes, Jamie, I totally agree. I took four ibuprophen at a time for a short period of time without a prescription, but it was my doctors recommendation. I wouldn't recommend anyone doing that on their own. I'm surprised that Tylenol helps you sleep. But once pain is controlled, that in itself helps with sleep. I'm sure different meds work differently in different people. If not, there'd only be one and we'd all take it! Each of us has to find what works for us.
 
I'm still taking tylenol a couple of times per day.
 
I'm sure different meds work differently in different people. If not, there'd only be one and we'd all take it! Each of us has to find what works for us.

You're so right!!! Different strokes for different folks!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom