THR I'm home

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm so sorry this happened. Thank God you had family with you at the time. I'm glad that it popped back into place. There's a lot of growth around the implant post surgery that has to happen. It's scary that it dislocated even though you were following all of the precautions.

I remember that in the early days after my surgery the implants felt very heavy, like weights. I didn't lay on my side, because I felt like the weight of the new hip would move in that position. It made me nervous. I'm interested to hear what you OS says.
 
If a hip dislocates, is it possible for it to go back in place without assistance?
I'm afraid not. It requires an anaesthetic and someone with muscles!

However, it is possible for a hip to just sublux which means it comes out halfway, with the femoral head sitting on the rim of the cup. In these cases it is possible for it to slip back into place if the patient is lucky enough to make the right move. This is nowhere near as painful as a dislocation but it's still a pretty nasty experience.
 
Thanks for the info. I have looked up subluxation and it seems that this is what happened. I'm very worried as everything I read seems to point to error during surgery. My surgeon is very well respected; in fact, my previous orthopaedic surgeon (who is now retired) passed me onto this guy and told me he was the only surgeon that he let operate on his own mother. His waitList was much longer than others and I waited months to be seen by him. I wonder if I've made a terrible mistake?

Since Friday, I've taken things very easy, however, a couple of times when I've walked around the house, I've felt the joint 'drop' again. I'm now so scared that when I'm walking, I'm almost skimming the floor with my foot on my operated side so that it doesn't drop or slip. This cannot be good for my recovery. I know my muscles need to strengthen to hold it in place but any activity I can do to strengthen them seems to put my joint in a vulnerable position.

I will call the hospital tomorrow and see what they advise.
 
Oh @Justine how scary. I wouldn't worry about not furthering your recovery by not exercising. More important to prevent it from happening again until you can contact the surgeon. How completely scary. I think you are right to rest today and call first thing in the AM. Please keep us posted.
 
OMG what a nightmare! Please keep us updated on what the hospital and surgeon advises. I hope you get a thorough explanation on what occurred so it will never happen again!
 
I'm really sorry this happened, but I'm glad you have gotten information. It's one of the things we all fear with this surgery. I hope that you don't have to have another surgery. You did everything right. I'm saying prayers for you.
 
Hello again. I've an appointment to see my surgeon on Thursday. Advice is to be "extra careful" (yeah, useful thanks), don't bear weight on operated side, use crutches.

Today the loose feeling is even worse so I'm sitting in my chair till I see him! I'll update when I've seen him.
 
Yikes, @Justine, sorry you have to wait until Thursday, non weight-bearing. And that the "loose" feeling is worse. Sending you hugs through cyber-space! ♥︎♥︎♥︎
 
@Justine. It may have been said already, but I was wondering if you had a posterior or anterior approach done on your hip?
 
No Kevin, I haven't mentioned this - it was posterior (my scar starts mid-buttock, horizontal to hip, then down like an L shape). I've since read that anterior are less likely to dislocate.
 
We are rooting for you Justine. It's too bad you have to wait so long to get into your OS! If I were an OS and you were my patient, I would squeeze you in no matter what. The physical and emotional toil must be awful. :sad:
 
I agree, your OS should have been able to get you in today, or the soonest day he is in the office. Hang in there!
 
I wish you could get in immediately, too. It's good that you're dealing with it right away. That "loose feeling" makes me nervous. You're in my prayers.
 
I am sorry to hear this happened to you. I wish they could move your appointment up. Please do keep us posted.
 
Hope you are hanging in there. I'm sure tomorrow can't get here fast enough for you.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom