Guest viewing is limited

PKR I'm Here.... PKR left lateral complete!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hiya sniffles. Sorry you're feeling under the weather. That was very sweet of your daughter to share her illness with you! You're raising a very generous young lady. ;-)

Eek, good luck on Tuesday. That's going to be a long day. I haven't decided yet if walking or just standing is harder on my knee. Yesterday, I only lasted about an hour (although it was an hour of lifting and carrying equipment, but nothing horribly heavy) before my knee started really hurting. My client's driveway isn't paved, so maybe the uneven rocks had something to do with it? Who knows. It's still bothering me today.

I think it's a good idea to take your brace with you just in case. I think you said it's an athletic one, but I assume they are all sort of 'unloader' ones, right? I'll certainly be thinking of you on Tuesday and wishing you well. I skipped the jacuzzi today and honestly, the margarita last night was probably only the 4th or 5th drink I've had since surgery. Geez, happy hour used to be my favorite past time! I hope you're feeling better this evening. Drink lots of fluids and take lots of vitamin C. I bet lots of hugs from your little girl will help too!!!
 
@DogLoverx3 Sniffles... so appropriate. This bug, whatever it is, is the real deal. Chills, body ache, all the classic symptoms. Can you Fed Ex some chicken soup? :) I'm sure you have some secret recipe that helps cure colds. Took a nap today so I can't sleep. Waiting for the melatonin to take effect. Just feel miserable right now. I really appreciate you checking up on me. My daughter is actually a generous little soul and she definitely made sure she shared her cold with me. She was actually so sweet today. She would play with her toys but quickly loses interest. She was so miserable. She just walked up to me an raised her hands wanting to be held. So I just scooped her up and she just latched on to me like a little monkey. Just slow danced her around the room with lullaby music in the background for about 10 minutes. Just the best. Anyway, about ready to pass out. Hard to focus so talk to you tomorrow. Night night.
 
Hope you're feeling better today! What are you going to do if you're still feeling like you-know-what tomorrow for your long day? As if a sore knee isn't bad enough. I checked with Fed Ex and they won't let me ship chicken soup - something about matzo balls potentially being a weapon of mass destruction? Go figure.

I love how you described what your sweet little monkey did yesterday. I can totally picture it! You're a good daddy....sniffles and all. Your daughter is a lucky girl and you're a lucky dad! I can't think of any better medicine than having your little one hang onto you adoringly! I could dance around the house with my dogs, but the neighbors just look at me weird. :umm:

My horrid knee was torturing me again today so I just decided to F it (sorry people) and took some Tramadol today. It's not the achey headache type pain that I was getting used to; it's really sharp pains right across the front of my knee, across my patella and around back over my hamstring (I think). How's your knee feeling today or has your cold/flu made you forget about your knee for a bit?

Hopefully you were able to get some good sleep last night and are feeling better today and will be up for your big day tomorrow. I must run - I've listed a bunch of stuff on Craig's List and am now awaiting the dregs of society to come buy my belongings in anticipation of moving into my new shoe box sized house. :heehee:
 
I sure can relate!!
@suzzee2000 wow you are one of those brave ones who had the bilateral, and so recently. You must be having trouble sleeping, poor thing. How's everything going? I will come by your thread later. Need to get ready for a conference tomorrow and try to get some rest. This cold is really being a pain in my butt . :(
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@DogLoverx3 feeling okay enough to walk the dog and write a quicK message .....those have to be some impressive matzo balls! Although I have seen some that probably could have passed for baseballs.... yea the show must go on tomorrow no matter what. My throat is still sore and it hurts too swallow. I have it arranged so I can show up later in the morning so it won't be too bad. Two of the younger guy are setting up early so I just need to show up and look pretty ha ha! Knee is actually not bad. I am really starting to get the core strength back. I was going up stairs today and really feeling strong, really able to push hard with my left.... going down is still a little tricky, but gets easier every week. Sorry to hear that your knee is bugging you again. Sounds like some tendinitis going on. I know it easy to say from California but I would offer to help you with the move if I was closer. Sounds like you have some young able bodies to help you though so that's good. Well I gotta get ready for bed before it gets to late which includes a bolus of Nyquil...yuk .. so sweet dreams and have a restful night.....
 
Well, I've been at the conference for 3-4 hours now standing the entire time and I feel fine and so does the knee. I was just able to sit down for about 5 minutes. So far so good.
 
You da man ! Mcirish . I need to get ahold of my granddaughter soon , she will be 4 in September. The mention of your daughter made me think . My son has really messed things up and is burning bridges everywhere. But still thats my granddaughter. I need to get ahold of her mom. Im kinda odd man out . Oh well , what most important is my sobriety, which is like 15 years. I just got to stay focused. Ive rested all weekend and ramped up PT and weightlifting. Focusing on my gait on a threadmill as well. Im very happy today . Stairs are just about a afterthought. Hope you are doing well and that work is good to you. Sorry about the rant about my granddaughter , its just I miss her abit now ! Its great to hug a little kid everynow and than , thats family ! Keep up the great work !! All is well in santa rosa, rain today !!
 
@mcirish , glad to hear your day is going well!

@icep707 , yes, you need to reconnect with your grand-daughter. Everyone else aside, she's your flesh and blood and who doesn't love a 3 year old little person who idolizes you? ;-) Keep up the great work with the knee!
 
Almost made it through the day pain free. Wore the Donjoy all day. Knee started hurting at about 3:30 then I had to sit every 15 or 20 minutes until it was time to go at 4:30. Nothing major, really more of an achy stiffness. Noticed a big improvement over last year at the same event though. Last year prior to the surgery I had much more pain and had to take more breaks to sit. From that aspect I am very happy I had the procedure...... Just got back home. No delayed pin, but we'll see what the morning brings. Definitely some swelling but not bad. I also was so busy during the day that I forgot to take Advil. Some RICE should do it good. The biggest negative today was having a cold which sucked. I rose above it most of the day thanks to the ODIC reserves lol.... but my energy level just went in the tank after 2:00 or so. All things considered it was a positive day that should lead to o some new project work for the company... @icep707 you should spend time with that precious little girl, as much as her mom will allow. Difficult situation, but the little princess will appreciate it. Hopefully she will be receptive. It will do your heart good. Glad to hear you are so Gung Ho. The flex will come back. Don't sweat it. @DogLoverx3 will check in on you tomorrow. Sooooo tired, knee is a little sore, need sleep badly. :zzz:Hope everything is going well with work and Craiglist people. Hopefully no shady ones.:no-fin:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Well, not so great today. Woke up just flat exhausted and with a pretty sore knee from yesterday's conference. I would have to say that the fatigue and sore throat/cough/runny nose is the worst of it, which is a positive I guess. I have no doubt that the procedure is still affecting my stamina. Really been struggling all day to be productive.

@DogLoverx3 Ellen, I am really at a loss for words. I wish there were something I could do to help you, to really make a difference. Will obviously be thinking about you and praying about your situation. Hoping that whatever is going on with your knee will be taken care of in short order.

I don't think that swelling this far into the recovery is that uncommon. I just think that, if at all possible, you just need to give yourself a break, maybe just for a week if you can, just to be good to yourself. I think if you did that maybe everything would normalize.

Does your OS know the full story about what you've been doing post op? I mean returning to work so soon and all the activity?
 
Hi friend, sorry your knee isn't happy about yesterday. At least while you were there you felt better than you did last year, so that's progress, right? I know it's frustrating to feel you're doing the whole 1 step forward, 2 step back thing, but just know you're making forward progress. It's just slower than you would like. :console2:Hope your cold is getting better! I remember when I threw my back out early on - I was like really?!?! What else do I have to contend with?

Thank you for your thoughts. I know the swelling can be 'normal' and I was starting to get 'okay' (kinda) with that - it's more the pain that's annoying to me. Then when he withdrew all that bright red blood/fluid and sent me on my way, I started to worry again. I do think that something is getting pinched or caught in the implant when I walk or go from straight to bend, but he just didn't want to listen and refused to acknowledge that anything could be wrong. As for my OS knowing my full story about all my activity? Who knows. I know I've told both he and his MA about it, but they never seem to write anything down. My PT knows, but again, who knows what gets written down or passed on.

I've looked at my calendar to find some time to take off, and I've got commitments every single week for the next couple of months. I'll just try to rest as much as I can on my off days. At 3.5 months, I had no idea i'd still be where I'm at. Sorry - having a big ole' pity party for myself .... didn't mean to person all over your thread.

I do hope you're having a good night and feeling better. I also hope you know how much your comments and support mean to me. Crazy that my online friends and family are so much more supportive than my ones in reality...... xoxo
 
Hey guys, so hard to keep up with everything due to ever increasing time demands, may have to limit my time here. I tend to reflect on things deeply (really wish I didn't sometimes) so it takes me longer than most to sift through things. Will try and post and read as much has I can. It may sound like i am trying to put on the fade pattern here, but I am not believe me. The people I have met here are very important to me and i rely on everyone's help too much. I guess it's just that, as our knee situations improve and get better, we tend to pour more of ourselves in to our everyday lives, with me it's no different. I guess I am just stating what is already a reality since I have been finding it harder and harder to find time to socialize with everyone. Plus there are SO MANY new people coming here everyday that need advice and help, so hard to "touch" everyone.

Just passed Week 13 of my recovery last Friday. Yesterday was an awesome day of sorts. Took my daughter to the park with Charlie (a 20 lbs. wondermutt who thinks he's a big Labrador!) Although I cannot jog, I found out I can speed walk.:) On a flat grassy area, almost feels like cross-country skiing at a fast pace. In the "old days" pre-surg I could still run and sprint, but even though THIS was not THAT, it still felt GREAT to be out there, chasing my little one and the dog and have little mock races and whatnot. It's the first time since the surgery I was able to do something like that for an extended period. I was even able to throw some good lateral movement in there, but I am sure it looked funny given that I had to almost come to a complete stop everytime I wanted to move to my right, very stiff movements and robotic. But it was still great. I got winded. I was sweating. Afterwards the muscles in my legs were shaky from being tested. The knee is a little sore and swollen, but not bad at all and not even close to the way it was after my Vegas adventure!
@icep707 saw that you finally posted something. I will TRY to get over to your thread and make some smartass comments later today, schedule permitting. lol @DogLoverx3 I know you're working through some things, but sounds like you are headed for some fun soon. How's the move going? @jeano you out there? Is lent over? @1ELISEA Are the Seahawks going to grab DJax? Or maybe the Niners will???? @Nana moon 27 any new sordid tales of frisky Frenchmen??? lol @RedRider what's up? Forgetting many, but I gotta run.
 
Hello my friend. All is well here in the Bay Area. RAIN ! RAIN, RAIN! So ive been coupped up. Home watching TV. As you know , we need this rain drastically. Its actually forecasted for a few more days. Sorry about your cold , believe it or not I rarely get them if at all since ive been doing the flu shots. Its been almost 15 years. I know they are controversial at best but its been a miracle for me , plus my employer( Costco,) supply them for employess if they want free of charge. Sounds like your knee is well on its way to becoming bionic. Im 7 weeks today and feel better than before my surgery by far. I went to movies the otherday and after the movies my replacement had no effect. Unlike the left one. It looks like I can hold this one off for about 5 years, hopefully they will discover something short of a replacement by than . Scientists are doing miracles!!! Well mcirish , keep up the great work. Off to ride bike and walk in treadmill . Peace
 
How exciting, @mcirish! Out and about and real life. :thumb:
 
Are the Seahawks going to grab DJax?

Only if he is willing to play for what they may be willing to offer. They let Golden Tate go to the Lions because of salary caps.

They need mega bucks to keep Russell Wilson and Earl Thomas next year. And believe me, they are going to keep Wilson whatever the cost. Too bad for salary caps because Paul Allen, billionaire extraordinaire, would probably not blink an eye at paying whatever to keep him.

Great that you are getting out and about and finding it easier. That is why we have TKR's so we can get on getting on with life.:thumb:
 
Hi Tom! (look how smart I am - actually read the name at the bottom of your post - boy will I feel stupid if this isn't your name or I've just ruined your well crafted cloak of anonymity :shrug:) I'm so happy to hear about your great day in the park with your little girl and the wondermutt! How wonderful to have a 'normal' day! I can't wait to have one of those! I met a friend for a movie this afternoon and when it was over she asked what the heck I was doing as I had stood up and was just kinda standing still. I had to explain that I always have to do that before I attempt to move in order to get my balance and make sure my knee won't give out. She felt pretty bad for me and was very sweetly indignant that I'm still stuck where I am in recovery and not really progressing (and possibly regressing?).

There are a lot of new people posting here that all need help, support and advice. I feel like a pretty big butt-head for not being able to keep up on them or offer any words of support. I figure this is a cyclical kinda thing and 'our' class is now graduating. Some with honors and some (like me) seem to have been held back a grade or two. :groan:

I'm glad that things are getting back to normal for you. It's only normal that as you progress in your recovery and are able to get back to your 'real' life, that your virtual one would take a back seat or fade away. I think it's amazing that so many people from many different walks of life can come together here and really form an amazing support group and virtual family. I know I wouldn't have survived all of this without everyone. I'm honored to have 'met' so many terrific people and when the time comes that we all fade away, I'll miss it. Everyone on here will hold a very special place in my heart (and knee) :heehee:

Anywhoo, I just wanted to drop in and say hello and let you know how happy I was to hear about your wonderful weekend. I hope your cold is getting better and I hope you keep improving! Glad you found your 'pep step'!!
 
So true: This is not that. It's like comparing apples to oranges (or better yet, a coral reef to a steel foundry, haha). That fast-paced walking stride reminds me of the modified jog/run that the ultra-marathoners/iron man triathletes take up: it has the laziness of a fast walk but the effectiveness of a jog. Much less effort and way easier on the knees I'd imagine. Not saying you should sign up for Kona but it's amazing how your body can compensate for injury/pain.
Dude, so stoked to hear you're out and about. Something as simple as a day in the park with loved ones can be so invigorating.
I propose a scientific test: you can return to Vegas (when you're ready of course) to collect data (ie., beer, betting, walking, fun, etc.) to determing if we can correlate a "before, during and after" overview of your knee procedure. We'll call it the VEGAS KNEE STUDY! All we need to do now is generate sponsorship, maybe we should contact Zimmer, Stryker or Biomet.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi y'all. Hope everyone is doing great out there. @RedRider rattled my cage to see if I was still alive. Managed to stay away for 2 months although I often thought of posting and checking in, but soooooo busy with work and life. So I am right at the 5 month post-op mark and things are going....okay. I still have pain off and on, mostly after working out. Not really anything significant, but just nagging soreness and the "electric shock" type pain that @1ELISEA had referred to as the nerves regenerate. Also still get some slight grinding or rubbing pain under my kneecap from the work they did there.....still having some trouble with the quads. Definitely making progress, but it is always that one step forward, two steps back kind of thing. My OS and the brochures are basically being over optimistic in selling the recovery time of this procedure. I would love to honestly know what percentage of patients actually return to "normal" activities at 2-3 months post-op, aside from having to go back to work! lol....at my last appointment about 3 weeks ago the OS actually back tracked and admitted that it would probably be as much as 12 months post-op before my knee felt close to normal.

To be completely honest part of me feels like if I had a crystal ball and could have known what to expect I probably would have waited another year or so and then had the procedure. Just too many disruptions to my life right now, but somehow we get through it. Also, what was really odd was I was having a really difficult time with my energy level and some moderate depression (especially in the morning) from April up until about 2 weeks ago. Just had to drag myself out of bed every morning and it would take me a long time just to get myself right. Then I just woke up one day and felt fine, like my old self before the surgery. Weirdness. I had actually forgotten what that felt like!

Anyway, I will try to peek in on everyones' threads later today to see what's happening, but I am under some deadlines right now and have to run. Miss talking to everyone. Hope you all are recovering like champions. :yes!:
 
Way to go RedRider! I was thinking of you the other day @mcirish, but couldn't find your thread anywhere and stopped looking after page 5 (sorry) ;-). Good to hear from you! Sorry to hear that you're still having some challenges, but sounds like you're handling everything a-okay. Between work, family and recovery, you're a busy man, so cut yourself some slack. Yes, a crystal ball would have been an awesome option, but honestly, who knows what next year would be like either and I don't really think you can ever fully prepare for such an ordeal. Funny, I was just saying on my thread how crappy it is that my OS downplayed the whole recovery thing so much. I honestly had NO idea how hard/painful/long this would be.

As for me, I've still got my challenges - switched OS's - he knows what's going on with my knee and prescribed 3 things (1 med, 1 topical compound, 1 nerve deadening procedure) that my insurance promptly denied. All of them. Hugely frustrating to know that solutions are out there, but not accessible to me due to the cost without insurance. Bleck. Back to the drawing board. I've sort of resigned myself to be one of those people that takes the full year to recover.

Nice new pic you put up! Take good care of yourself and your knee Tom. Good luck meeting your deadlines (the work ones, not the knee ones) ;-)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom