TKR Im feeling mighty low friends :*(

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can not bend a swollen and painful knee. It a vicious cycle. You want more ROM so you try to bend a swollen knee, the knee swells more and you have less bend, so you get frustrated and you try to work even harder. I have been there, done that and I can tell you it doesn't work. It just makes you even more frustrated and depressed. So how do you get out of this awful cycle?

You really need to rest your knee. How about cutting back on some PT, two times a week is plenty, even once is enough. You need to rest and ice your knee at work. Maybe you can find some time-how about at lunch? Can you cut back your hours at work for a couple of weeks? These are a few suggestions. Also, are you taking some pain meds?

These are excellent points. The harder you try to "break through" and build ROM, ironically, the worse your ROM and your knee will be and feel. Take it easy, rest/ice/elevate and be gentle. Resist the temptation to "out work" your knee. he harder you work, the more behind you get---not ahead. It is, as jerseychick said, a vicious cycle. You have to break it and you cannot become frustrated---I know that that sounds easy---I know how difficult it can be---but do not overwork either your knee or yourself.

I was in PT going on four months. I asked my PT's when I would be done and how I was doing---they said I would be done when I get to my destination and that I was doing fine---everybody is different. You are different, and you will reach your destination, but you cannot try to get there too quickly---it will only slow you down.
 
Alrighty then!!:)
I want to thank each and every one of you for all the great advice! I feel so much better today and encouraged thanks to all of you!!! You truly are a Godsend!!:angel:
:thankyou:
 
Remember, none of us progressed at the pace that we would have liked to. It seemed to take forever to move forward---that is why patience is the key---this is a slow journey that you have embarked upon, so you just have to take it day-by-day and know that there will be small victories along the way---and in the end, you will reach your destination. It is like a very, very slow roller coaster ride that takes months to complete---and some days are good days and, for some unknown reason, some days are bad days. In the end though, the ride will come to an end on a high note and you will be amazed at how great you feel!
 
So true, this forum has been such a godsend to us all, mainly to get that all-needed encouragement.
 
So glad we've been able to help! That's one of the best things about Bonesmart - we've all been there and felt as worried and frustrated as you did; we understand and we care.

Your knee will heal as quickly as it can, but that will be in its own good time and not according to what we, or others, expect. It's hard to be patient, but patience will be your best friend.
 
Hi Laurie,
I'm a week ahead of you, and doing my own PT. I went twice to outpatient PT and twice they hurt my knee and pushed my recovery back.
The key thing is to be gentle and patient. Icing now on my back laying in bed. I still ice almost constantly as my knee just gets swollen so easily. I have been back at work for 3 weeks, and walk on my lunch breaks, swim or bike after work. I was stuck and had scar tissue issues, but gently pushed through and now have 120 ROM, and close to 0 extension. This is an excellent resource of information and make any recovery goals for 6 months to a year as that is what were faced with. You are not alone, and we all want you to have a good recovery.
 
Hi, I was in your situation at 6 weeks and they told me they'd have to put me in hospital under anesthesia and "bend" my knee. OS suggested I sit on a bed/table and allow my legs to hang down and gradually add weights, which did improve things. I had a lot of swelling for a month post op and the original PT thought I should have been able to bend it "better". 2nd PT said it's impossible to bend something if it's swollen, which mine was. They also thought I had a clot because of the swelling. As to the CPM, I would have loved to have it. Saw folks with great range who used the machine. My doc also didn't believe in it. But I decided when I have my left knee done, I want it. Even if it's just psychological meds.

From what I understand from my therapist, it may take longer to get your ROM, but it can be done. As with this surgery, patience is the key. (I'm still learning). Please try not to worry too much. I know it's hard, but things will get better. It did for me. It was as if a switch was thrown and things got better quickly for the ROM.
 
Hi, Onloanfromgodiam, I won't repeat what others have said above, and I can't advise on your issues other than perhaps offering my opinion that you seem to be overdoing it a bit (I'm still waiting for my surgery - so what do I know :)). However, I can share my mum's story. She had TKR in January. Her pain wouldn't go away, and to cut a long story short after 8 weeks she was told she also need an urgent hip replacement on the same side. All PT was put on hold. Hip was replaced the week after Easter, then in rehab for the hip for 4 weeks. She has now restarted PT for her knee, and has over the course of a few weeks improved her ROM from 90 to 95. That's 5 months after surgery. So, in my opinion, try to give it a bit more time and see how it goes - and be kind to your new knee!
 
Hi Laurie, so sorry to that you are feeling so low. All who have posted before me have given good advice that is right on the spot! I barely used the CPM at all. They had one at the hospital that they almost never had time to put on the bed for me. It came home with me and I used it only once. I only reached 52 degrees on the CPM and never used it again. I too am a person who kept trying to do to much. I had to make myself slow down and take it easier. Eventually I got my ROM to 137 but it took 7 1/2 months.
 
Hi Laurie!
[Bonesmart.org] Im feeling mighty low friends :*(
I am at four and a half months and have felt everything everyone before me has said! I did have the CPM in the hospital and in the rehabilitation facility I had to go to after the hospital. Then, when I was home, I had the CPM machine and the cold machine (I forget the name) that I used several times during the day and then most of the night. I was told that after 10 days, the CPM wouldn't help anymore, so it went back to wherever it came from. I found Bonesmart at 6 weeks and thought that I was a failure because I couldn't get 90 degrees flexion! The surgeon told me that if I didn't, he'd put me in the hospital and do the MUA. He is the gung-ho type, push through the pain, but I am not. I'm a wimp! I tried to explain that I am a Princess,
[Bonesmart.org] Im feeling mighty low friends :*(
but he wouldn't listen. He did explain that I had adhesions and that they were holding me back from the flexion, so at 11 weeks, I had the MUA. The surgeon showed me a picture of my knee on the table that had my heel up against my tush! He said it was about 130 degrees. After that, he sent me to PT every single day until he saw me again.
[Bonesmart.org] Im feeling mighty low friends :*(
And, I went every day and came home crying
[Bonesmart.org] Im feeling mighty low friends :*(
from the pain and of course I was swollen, so I had to come home and do the ice and elevate. After that, the surgeon suggested acupuncture and I've been doing that twice a week and I think it's helping me. Although, we went to our youngest granddaughter's pre-kindergarten graduation last week, and I sat too long in one position and stood too long and then walked too far to get to the restaurant for dinner. When we got home, I could hardly sleep because I could not find a comfortable place for my angry knee!
[Bonesmart.org] Im feeling mighty low friends :*(
I never went back to PT and do not regret it. The more I read here, the more I realize that I WILL get better, but not when the surgeon wants me to;
[Bonesmart.org] Im feeling mighty low friends :*(
not when I want to,
[Bonesmart.org] Im feeling mighty low friends :*(
but when my KNEE wants to!
[Bonesmart.org] Im feeling mighty low friends :*(


Try to be nice to your knee
[Bonesmart.org] Im feeling mighty low friends :*(
and keep coming back and read other people's posts and to find out that you're not alone!
 
Nothing to add to the good posts above other than to welcome you to the forum.
 
Take it one day at a time, and don't let a PT scare you. I had the CPM for 2 of my 4 surgeries, and after this last time, I told them I wasn't doing 8 hours anymore. The nurse tried to force me and I smiled and said " when Dr. Maale comes tomorrow I will let him know iam not going to be tortured by you anymore.". Funny thing is she never darkened my door again!
 
Welcome! You've gotten awesome advice. My experience is kind of like Twinkletoes, except I said no to the manipulation. When I stopped PT is when I noticed my knee swelling going down. I'm so happy now to be in charge of my own therapy. I'm being much kinder to my knee now, since I've been reading here. I totally believe that I'll increase ROM as I do my normal activities. I can't thank these wonderful people enough for giving me the peace I didn't have the first month.

I know you'll do just fine. Keep reading here and following their great advice.

Take care.....Limpin'Lizzie
 
I am amazed at the numbers of folks whose knees improve after they stop PT. I have a very gentle pt when my knee was swollen, we did gentle massage, e-stym (electrical stimulation) and icing. He worked with me to get the swelling down and now we are beginning to work on the muscles of the knee. The gentle stretches that he helped me with--heel slides, leg lifts and quad sets did not push me past where I was comfortable.

So, if your pt is not a good one---get a new one. It is like anything else---you search around for a good OS, now look for a good PT as well--do not accept bullying or people who hurt you for no reason what so ever. Kelly
 
So, if your pt is not a good one---get a new one. It is like anything else---you search around for a good OS, now look for a good PT as well--do not accept bullying or people who hurt you for no reason what so ever. Kelly

I agree with this 100%! PT will not work if your pt is anything less than gentle and works with you!
 
Welp, here it is Juy 27th. Im not as depressed as I was last time I spoke with everyone.:)​
I am still not doing well with my bend. I am about 80% on good days. I stopped PT last week and have decided to go to the YMCA and work my stretching in the pool and hot tub. My Doctor has been very nice and Patient with me since my surgery but now he is putting the smack down on me. He told me last week that he thinks its time to have the MUA.​
I am getting married at the end of August and told him i did not want to do anything to risk dislocation or any other thing that may cause a delay in y wedding.so he wants to see me the week after my wedding. *sigh*​
Okay all this is where I need you agian... I have heard bad things about the MUA, should I do it???? Or is it reasonable to keep waiting. I am almost 3 months out. PLEASE let me know your thoughts everyone, Your opinions are so very important to me!​
​
Laurie LTKR -April 27, 2012​
 
Hi Laurie!
[Bonesmart.org] Im feeling mighty low friends :*(
I think you need to hear from someone with more knowledge than I, however, I did go through the MUA at 11 weeks and then kept going backwards with my flexion!
[Bonesmart.org] Im feeling mighty low friends :*(
It was horrible!
[Bonesmart.org] Im feeling mighty low friends :*(
When I saw the PA (physician's assistant) he wasn't happy with my flexion,
[Bonesmart.org] Im feeling mighty low friends :*(
even after my telling him that I had had a bad night and was very stiff, but that I had much better flexion the day before. He mentioned ANOTHER MUA!
[Bonesmart.org] Im feeling mighty low friends :*(
I really flipped out and told him that I absolutely refused because my experience was that after having the one MUA, my flexion got worse and I wasn't about to do that to myself again. I also told him about Bonesmart and that I do believe that being nice to my knee
[Bonesmart.org] Im feeling mighty low friends :*(
does me more good than all that pushing through the pain that only caused me grief!
[Bonesmart.org] Im feeling mighty low friends :*(
I have to see the surgeon in 3 weeks and I am nervous
[Bonesmart.org] Im feeling mighty low friends :*(
because I think he's going to be disappointed in me. I really hate the feeling that I'm being called to the Principal's office! If I didn't have to see him (the surgeon) I think my knee will be happier and I know that I will be too!
[Bonesmart.org] Im feeling mighty low friends :*(
I also think that he's disappointed in me because I haven't met HIS expectations of me. Maybe that's a blow to his ego?


You can read my thread: https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/twinkletoes-recovery.13672/ and perhaps what I've gone through, might help with your decision.

Congratulations on your wedding!
[Bonesmart.org] Im feeling mighty low friends :*(
I hope you dance!
[Bonesmart.org] Im feeling mighty low friends :*(


 
I think there is no hurry to do an MUA. But I also think you shouldn't be worried about having one. Of course no one can guarantee that it will completely take care of your problems, but most of the time the manipulation (if it's really needed because of adhesions) can free things up so that you can proceed with your recovery. The trick is knowing if it's adhesions that are causing your ROM to stay in the 80's. Sometimes when a person has been pushing and working their knee, it's the swelling and irritated tissues that are holding you back.

My suggestion would be to take things as easy as you can between now and the time you see the surgeon to be sure your knee is settled down. That means only gentle stretches and bends along with a low level of daily activity. (Is that possible with a wedding coming up???) If you are making forward progress with your ROM, no matter how slight, I'd say wait a while. If your knee feels like you are hitting a "brick wall" when you try to bend and it's not tight and swollen, they an MUA could help.

I see you're in Kansas City. I live in Olathe. If I may ask, what clinic and surgeon are you seeing?
 
Hey, Laurie, I'd be interested to hear what the others say, too. Twinkletoes is giving you firsthand info. I said no to the MUA at 6 weeks. I'm now at 12 weeks, and according to my doctor (without measuring!) he told me I was still at 90. Well, I think I'm farther than that, b/c things are easier for me to do now, like getting in and out of car, putting on pants, doing heel slides, to name a few.

I'm still believing due to all the info here, that I will continue to gain ROM.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom