TKR I'm back!!!!

I wake up everyday and feel like I'm in the "Groundhog Day" movie....same knee..same pain...ugh!!:sigh:
You’ll turn the corner soon!!!! I’m 3 weeks behind you, and that’s what everyone keeps saying - you’ll turn the corner soon. Well that and total recovery takes a year.

I see people in PT that have turned that corner. I just keep telling myself that the surgical pain is temporary. The knee pain I had presurgery would have been life long permanent.

But like you, I’ve had enough of the pain now. Come on corner!!!!!
 
@Dizzy
I feel your pain, literally! 5 weeks post op and Groundhog Day is a perfect description! As someone in this blog told me, try to look at progress in terms of weeks, not days. I’m trying to do that and it does help...a bit
 
Moderators, in reading many of the threads, I find people saying that, even only a few weeks after surgery, they are not experiencing any knee pain. Now I understand that it's the swelling that causes a lot of the pain and I'm sure it's different for everyone. I had my RTKR in 2017 and I still experience a tightness and slight pain on occasion. Am I correct in maybe thinking that the difference of pain vs no pain is the condition of the knee at the time of surgery, i.e arthritis, waiting too long before having the surgery, etc? This has puzzled me so I thought I'd just ask. Thanks.
 
Each knee's condition going into surgery is different so each surgery is different. Some people do have less pain and swelling and some have more. There is no set recovery. My tkr was in 2016 still gives me some twinges sometimes. Still, it's tons better than what it was before the tkr. I don't think any surgery will leave a perfect, pain-free knee. I was sorry I had the tkr for about 4 months, then things really started looking up some for me and I was able to do a little of the things I hadn't been able to do. As time went on I was able to do more.

I had, had 5 previous surgeries on this knee and I think it took a little longer to heal than someone who has had only one. Someone who waits until they can't walk to get the tkr will normally find a harder and longer recovery time because inside the knee was probably a mess.

As we have said over and over. Each knee, each surgery, and each recovery is different, even on the same knee!
 
Past few days....:groan::hairpulling::headbang::gaah:!!!
 
Does this seem possible to you....when I use the ice on my knee it seems to make things "angrier" inside. Feels like more zingers and a burning sensation. I am putting a cloth between the ice pack and my skin so I don't think it's a freezer burning.
 
Maybe try keeping the ice pack in the refrigerator, rather than freezer. Maybe a lesser cold will feel better for you.

My daughter actually made this suggestion to me recently when I hurt my back and hip. I liked it better this way.
 
Dizzy; Just chiming in. My OS told me that prior to my 1st tkr in Feb . that the more I worked my knee prior to surgery; the easier my recovery would be. I used to get in the jacuzzi at the YMCA and do stretches and bicycles in the hot water to keep my knee loose up to the day before surgery. My recovery from my 1st was great. My 2nd surgery was a lot worse. Dr. told my wife he had to do a lot more work. I'm having more pain and swelling with this one than I did with the 1st one. It's starting to get better. Just hang in there; it will get better soon. Everyone heals different. Prayers for a great recovery; Doodlebug
 
Any suggestions for a pain reliever creme? Been using an arnica based creme, suggested by my OS, but was wondering if anyone had any other preferences?
 
I'm feeling more of a burning sensation around my knee opposed to actual pain. Is that from swelling and inflammation? Actually my other knee (RTKR July /2017) is feeling the same. Any ideas?
 
I have come to the conclusion that my knee just does not like the cold!! Ice packs from the freezer was making my knee "angrier" so took the suggestion to keep them in the fridge instead. Still seems to make it worse with the burning sensation. Feels better if I don't use anything but I'm concerned the swelling won't go down as quickly. Thoughts???
 
Stop using the ice pads for now if they are causing you more pain (burning sensation). Just make sure you elevate your knee goes above nose as much as possible. Gravity will help the swelling go down. You can try the ice pads on the back of the knee which can help the swelling. I hope you feel better soon.
 
11weeks post-op today! Still pain and burning sensation...ugh!!!! :censored: :hairpulling:
 
Are you still having swelling in your knee? If so make sure you are elevating with your ‘toes above your nose’.

[Bonesmart.org] I'm back!!!!
 
I wake up everyday and feel like I'm in the "Groundhog Day" movie....same knee..same pain...ugh!!:sigh:

@Dizzy I know you wrote these words several weeks ago. Tomorrow, I’ll be two weeks post op w/my second knee replacement and your Groundhog Day movie reference just struck me as so true....as sleep eludes me and pain troubles me as I lie here reading thru everyone’s posts.:flabber:
 
Does this seem possible to you....when I use the ice on my knee it seems to make things "angrier" inside. Feels like more zingers and a burning sensation. I am putting a cloth between the ice pack and my skin so I don't think it's a freezer burning.

@Dizzy YES!!! Even though the “water circulating ice machine” (can’t think of full correct name of it) is a more efficient application of ice, I have extreme difficulty using it for any length of time...it’s just TOO cold...even on its highest setting!
I can’t see now who made the recommendation to just put ice packs in the fridge vs freezer, but I’m going to try that!
 
@newlybionic I don't seem to have too much obvious swelling in the outside but still elevating when I am sitting.

@KnitChica Even ice packs from the fridge seemed to aggravate my knee. It really is very sensitive even to lotions so I'm just letting "nature take it's course" at this point. I'm putting a wet, cold face cloth on it when it seems really heated...that seems to help a bit.

I'll say it again...glad we only have two legs!!!!:giggle:
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom