TKR I'm back again

Thanks all. If not walking on the actual sand there are plenty of proms I can walk along beside the sea. And plenty of seaside cafes. Hopefully not too long before I'm driving again. I'll let you know how my physio goes on Friday.
 
Keep in mind early on...for your own comfort, that your gait changes while walking on sand.
It's more of a workout. Beach sand provides an unpredictable and uneven walking surface. This can place increased stress / strain and loading on your joints. Walking in the softer sand requires increased energy expenditure, forcing you to work harder, compared to walking on an even, firm surface. The foot will sink slightly into the sand. This will provide the least amount of stability, which forces you to use muscles throughout your legs more. You are better off on the paved walkway since they're available as you mentioned.
Good Luck on Friday! :)
@Dolphin5
 
I hope you get the opportunity to enjoy an oceanside visit. You probably know this, but as you’re getting used to actually walking along in the sand, it’s better to start close to the water where the sand is more firm. Hopefully the walkways will get you pretty close to that more firm area once you’re ready for a beach walk. The coffee shops along the promenade sound wonderful and would be such a mental boost.
 
Thank you Layla and Jamie. Yes my favourite beach is fairly firm sand. Soft sand is always a struggle to walk in at the best of times! Occasionally I've walked the beach whilst paddling. My knee seems stiffer than ever at times. Especially with the first heel slides at 7.30am. which is understandable after a night's sleep. I hope the bend is improving. It's hard to say. I gauge it by how near my other foot it is. Sometimes I think the ROM is improving but then question whether my other knee is 90o or slightly different, if that makes sense. I can almost feel myself getting a bit down over it all. It's 2 and a half weeks since the MUA/keyhole surgery.
 
Sending support. Which is your favourite beach? At least it’s summer and not dreary dark winter for recovery. Thinking of you.
 
Thanks all. If not walking on the actual sand there are plenty of proms I can walk along beside the sea. And plenty of seaside cafes.
Hope you get back to this soon!
I love the Isle of Wight and you have the best weather in the UK. It's pretty glorious here in London- so must be amazing that bit further south.
 
Please try not to count days and weeks with your progress. It may be quite a while for you to see big improvements. Just let yourself enjoy each day for what it brings. Try to schedule things that bring you joy. In other words, at this point just live your life without trying to worry about your knee. If you can keep your mind busy with enjoyable things, you’ll worry less about where your ROM is at any point in time.

The stiffness may be with your for a long time. That’s pretty normal. And, as you noted, it’s especially more noticeable when you’ve been still for a while either sitting or sleeping. Bending and stretching exercises and walking or cycling should help with that.

Are your pain levels staying at lower levels these days? If so, that is really something to celebrate.
 
Hi Dolphin,
It is still early at only 18 days post MUA. Your knee is healing there is swelling / inflammation and I'm guessing some discomfort also. Try not to get frustrated and be patient with yourself. Continue doing the exercises, take any meds you were prescribed and manage swelling through icing and elevation. Keep track of progress weekly, rather than daily and count any improvement, no matter how small, as a win. Have a great rest of the day!
@Dolphin5
 
Wow Dolphin5 you’re doing well! Glad that MUA is over and you’re healing well! I figure by fall I’ll get back to the beach. It’s way too hot and crowded here in coastal NC! All the best,
Flashcat
 
Hi all. Thank you for your comments. Unfortunately I've gone from feeling positive to despairing again after my visit to the physio this morning. I asked him to measure my leg 'at rest/comfortable and it was 60o. Worse, doing the heel slides pushing my knee back it was a mere 70o. I was gutted. I was sure I'd been reaching 90o with my heel slides with the 'naughty' foot/knee aligned to my other foot which seemed at a right angle so therefore 90o. But he said it depends on how it's aligned with the hip which I didn't really understand.

Sitting on a couch, feet flat on the floor, he slowly lowered the couch so that my knee was bending more and more. The first time he did it to where I had to stop him it was at 77o. The next few only reached about 70o. Lying on my side he did other exercises but the knee never went beyond about 72o. He used a measure each time.

I did say to him on arrival about being happy to push the knee to discomfort but not to actual pain which he agreed with.

He emphasised the need to get the knee weight bearing. So my main exercises now are the sit, stand, sit ones, all slowly with no help from my hands. I did some and after each one he lowered the couch. I was surprised that I could do it (remember I have long legs!!). He wants me to do these hourly. 10 each time. Also to carry on with the heel slides and over the weeks get to the stage of holding each of the 20 for 30 seconds.

Since coming home at 10am I've become more and more unhappy. Consequently I've done nothing today. Just watched TV and tried to switch off from my situation.

On a whim I decided to see if I could get into the driving seat of my car. Once in, I was pleasantly surprised to find that my foot on the pedal was actually reasonably comfortable and very possibly drivable, until I remembered that the same foot has to use the brake. Pleeeeze don't give me any lectures on the safety of driving, I'm well aware and won't drive unless I know I'm safe to do so.

I then started to feel that something doesn't feel right about all this. I saw the consultant only 8 days ago. Sitting on the couch I did the heel slides and he estimated that it was at 90o. This is visually, not actually measured. Since coming out of hospital 2 weeks, 5 days ago, I've religiously done 20 heel slides every two hours. The physio today said that heel slides alone will not get me to 90o. He, like the consultant, said that it's unlikely I'll ever reach beyond 90o. I'm ok with this as at 90o I can lead a normal life including the all important driving again.

Right now I have no motivation to do any exercises at all. But if I don't do any for the rest of the day, evening, I'll definitely start them in the morning and give it all my best shot.

I'm concerned that, if the physio is correct, then perhaps I'll never improve from 70o. However the consultant did say that having got me to 95o under anaesthetic it proves that the knee can get there. But perhaps I've regressed and it won't. Just feeling totally in despair.

Oh, and one of my favourite beaches is Yaverland, near Sandown, about two miles long which I love walking on with the dogs. Used to walk the length of it and back. Before my TKR in January
 
PS I'm not on any meds apart from the occasional Paracetamol. When the knee is pushed to its limit it's the stiffness stopping it and a bit of an ache. The physio said there is not much swelling in the knee.
 
I hear you @Dolphin5 and I so feel for you. I’m at the start of my knee journey, so completely new to all this. I hope it gets better soon. Just chill today, you’ve been through a lot.
I’m sure the excellent BS staff will be able to reassure you and advise.
My first job was on IOW in 1976 for a month in the summer hols cooking for a huge household. I hardly left the kitchen! I went back in 2018 with friends for a few days who had a flat in Ventnor. I really loved Osborne House and some of the beaches.

Tomorrow will be a better day, you’ll see. We are all here for you.
 
Last edited:
Have you ever considered using your left foot for the brake (assuming you have an automatic transmission? I drive that way all the time and have for over 50 years. It works just fine.

Please read my post #367 again and add ROM numbers to the list of things you focus on. It’s not the number, it’s the functionality of your knee. Your therapist is completely right that you need to get using this knee in a normal way. The exercises are good, as is some walking. I hope you decide to follow the advice you have been given.
 
Unfortunately I've gone from feeling positive to despairing again after my visit to the physio this morning. I asked
Unfortunately swinging in mood from optimism to pessimism and fear is pretty par for the course with this surgery.
Don't let the physio depress you and put you off persevering with your exercises.
She is technically right that the measurements of ROM vary according to the position of the hip and other joints. I have brilliant knee ROM but it varies according to whether I am on my back, bringing my knees up in front of me or standing trying to do a standing quad stretch. And there are times when I struggle to put tights on, because my back ( spinal stenosis) is stiff.
What is more important is what you can do. It is positive that you can sit in your car and try working the pedals. Obviously you will be cautious about driving but practising getting in and out of the car is good physio.
There are times when I am bit slow with this due to my hip and back arthritis but I walk miles,look after my grandson and drive OK. Try to focus on the positive and build up your stamina. Good luck!
 
Hi all. Thank you. Legseleven- that's what I say to people to help them remember my birthday as I have long legs and my birthday is the 11th of the month. Jamie I'm not sure what you mean about #367 to read your post. How do I find your post? I've driven for over 50 years now and always used the right foot for both the accelerator and brake so I consider it dangerous to try and use the left foot now for the brake. But thanks for the suggestion. I intend getting back in the car in a few days time to see how easy it would be to move the foot to the brake.

I now have an appt to see the consultant in 12 days time after ringing his secretary yesterday in a bit of a state. The benefit of going private. The next physio is in 13 days time so i definitely have to get stuck into the exercises and plan to start them in half an hour.

When walking the dogs I try to walk as normally as possible.

The day after surgery, sitting in a chair, both the physio and surgeon reckoned my ROM was 80o which they were both happy about as it was only a few hours post surgery. No measuring device, just seeing me pull my knee back. The same estimate by the consultant 9 days ago with me sitting on the couch, feet on the floor, pulling my knee back. Again no measuring instrument. So I don't understand how yesterday, again just sitting on the couch, feet on the floor, pulling my knee back, the physio got it mostly to only 70o using a measuring instrument. I don't understand this.

My energy levels are still low. I find doing 35 minutes dog walking is enough with other daily things to do. I do get tired.

I'll post again tomorrow to confirm I've been a good girl and done my exercises.
 
I forgot to mention the heel slides. He said that by only doing those I wouldn't reach the 90o. The past week I've been holding each of the 20 for 7 seconds. He said to hold for 10 seconds, aiming over the next few weeks to hold each one for 30 seconds.

Legseleven- I live three miles from Ventnor.
 
I'll post again tomorrow to confirm I've been a good girl and done my exercises.
Doing the exercises now, will prevent your situation from getting worse. I understand this is difficult and frustrating as you've been through a lot with the surgery and MUA. As you've heard, read, and know, it's not so much about the number as it is about what you're capable of doing. Moving from sit to stand more comfortably, walking, stair climbing, getting back behind the wheel to drive. Don't allow the progress you've made to fall by the wayside. I realize 90 ROM is your goal, but you may surprise yourself and move beyond that with determination and dedication.

I am not sure what the "daily things to do" include beyond the 35 minute dog walking, but hopefully there's enough activity to prevent stiffness and keep that joint functional for daily living. Your knee needs movement and repetition to stay mobile. "Motion is lotion."
All the best, Dolphin!

Each post is numbered up in the top right corner, as this post is #377.
Are you able to see that, so you can locate the post Jamie referenced? I'll leave it below, just in case...

@Dolphin5
 
One exercise you might try is to place your operated leg on a stair tread with the opposite leg straight under your body. Then slowly lean forward over your knee, bending it to the point that gives mild discomfort and hold it for a count of 20. Slowly regain a standing position. Try 10 of these stretches at a time. It’s sort of like a modified lunge movement that can encourage better flexion.
 
I sympathize with you. My own story similar, but I'm 8 months out & on my 3rd Physiotherapist regime (tho I find Samantha smiths online class to be reasonable re stress: recovery). At this point, I (masters program in sports injury) think I have scar tissue limiting my flexion at 93. I used to have an active fitness practice for years, so am unhappy with this limited rom. I plan to get a second surgeon opinion & am open to an MUA in hopes of recovering another 10-20 flexion). I wish there was active research on the 20 percent Failure rate. We were Not all slackers. They need a way to triage who needs what type of rehab. All the best on your journey.
 
Thank you for all your comments. Motion is lotion. Love that. I'm back on track and did my exercises yesterday though not always hourly due to a phone call or whatever. Just before bed I took two paracetamol as my knee felt a bit achy. Two hours after sleep I woke with both knees hurting, my right hip aching and my lower back aching too. Too soon to take more paracetamol so tossed and turned for a couple of hours trying to get comfortable. Eventually got off to sleep again. So I obviously overdid the exercises yesterday. Bit achy this morning, especially my 'good' knee (which I hope to have done next year ).

Apart from the doggie walk, I have quite a few garden pots to water. Probably takes about 15 minutes. Sometimes I've done some pruning for about 20-30 minutes but haven't done any of that for a few days. Other than that it's just the usual though I don't do much housework. A small bungalow and a cleaner comes every 4-5 weeks to blitz the place. My energy levels are way off what they were pre op in January.

@kneed to know I was reluctant to have a MUA and was astonished at how my surgeon got me to 95o. I had not been able at all to get behind 45o and he told me that I was at 30o when he performed the surgery. It's why I'm gutted to be told by the physio on Friday that I'm at a out 70o. But it's still a massive improvement. Make sure you get a good surgeon if you decide to have a MUA.

Jamie I will try those exercises. How many times a day? 3 perhaps?

I'll do slightly fewer exercises today and try and get a good balance. Motion is lotion!
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom