Guest viewing is limited

TKR I year anniversary

[Bonesmart.org] I year anniversary A quick question, a friend of mine had both knees done the same day and it was about 6 years ago and his recovery went much smoother than mine, we are the same age and share the same demanding sports. His OS removed his ACL and maybe more other tendons so my question is with the Maco/Stryker TKR do I keep all my tendons, I never thought to ask my OS that question. Side note you would have had an ulcers if you had to coach my friend he broke every rule there was when it came to rehab and he returned to our sport in 6 weeks, it make me nauseous just thinking about it. Here's a pic of the villain.
 
[Bonesmart.org] I year anniversary Just don’t have it today, slept horrible and now Im trying to do my AM exercise. Eventually I will light a fire under me and do my job.
 
[Bonesmart.org] I year anniversary Here is my second daughter to become a promising RN . Today is her White Jacket Ceremony at MCPHS.
 
Major set back, my life line my best friend the ice machine died on me. It has let me down I think it’s the plug that goes into the machine, I can see where the bare wire is exposed, gonna go by the hospital and see if they will swap it out. The frozen peas with a Velcro wrap worked decent but not as good as my departed cube machine.
 
I’m so sorry! So annoying when something that is so helpful gives out on us. I hope you are able to get replaced quickly.

I never had one of those, I may have to look into one if I do this again.
 
I lived with my ice machines on. I had one for the den, where the recliner is, and one in my bedroom. They really do help to keep the pain away. When my ice was all melted and the water warmed up, then my knee would know and start to hurt. Once the ice was replenished and hooked back up to my knee, the pain would diminish! I hope you can get yours replaced quickly.
 
It’s good to have options! I may also use that as a back up next time. The gel packs that I used in the hospital were nice and big and flexible. Those same packs froze solid in my freezer at home and then were not flexible until they thawed a bit. Sometimes an “old fashioned” way of doing things is pretty good after all!
 
[Bonesmart.org] I year anniversary Gonna train a little harder than usual , I’m focusing on quad muscle and don’t care about ROM just waking up sleepy muscles. My hamstrings stick out do to lack of muscle behind my leg and it’s kinda strange feeling. I’m also stepping into a 4” high piece of plank with my operated leg 1st then stepping completely over it with my good foot and it is so difficult to do but it looks simple.
 
@dmichael21 - I think you have started strength training too early. We usually recommend not starting until about 3 months after surgery.

Your knee has been through one of the most major surgeries possible. It isn't lazy or unfit - it's wounded. It needs time to heal before you stress it further with the exercises you're doing, above.

I understand that you want to return to full strength and fitness as soon as possible, but recovery from a knee replacement takes a long time, as long as a full year. It's a marathon, not a sprint.
TKR recovery and an analogy to athletic training
 
@dmichael21 Looks to me as if you are using a 12lb kettlebell. Not very kind to a new knee! I am sure you will "wake up" sleepy muscles but I'm not sure you are going to like the mood they are in post this activity.
 
That’s the only time I use weight, the rest is just basic PT I do at home, just did work around the yard and did preventive maintenance to my wife’s car and my truck and I’m beat. Everyone was correct when you say that this surgery does sap all your energy and strength. Now to cheer on my Patriots
 
[Bonesmart.org] I year anniversary Today I went back to work, kinda needed to do to that I’m closing in on retirement and don’t want to fall behind on health and wellfair and 401k etc. I’m helping my two amazing daughters with nursing school so I’m back early and let me tell you I have a fairly easy job, been there over 30 years and I mainly deliver food to MV on Cape Cod Woodshole Ferry and I was beat and I came home swelled up and sore but finally had my 1st real sleep in a BED I guess if you sit around you’re house you really don’t get tired enough .
 
What was wonderful end to a work day, a good night's sleep in your own bed! It is certainly understandable that you needed to get back to work. Having an easy job is a big plus!
 
Going in on almost 10 weeks and just had a great OS appointment and Dr. was happy with my progress, I asked him for the 1st time if I lost any ligaments and I indeed lost my ACL and still have all the others . Going down stairs without railing and have finished 3 full weeks of work(65 hours) and work sped up my rehab. No more PT and I’m doing that at home. March 11 I plan on doing light mountain biking and that will give me strength in my leg for sure. Only using Tylenol 500 2x a day and finally sleeping on my bed. Sorry about the new post.
 
@dmichael21
Great post and it gives hope to those of us who are about to have the same surgery. Mine is 1st March. Fingers crossed that I do as well as you have
 
Good luck and take it slow at first. It’s no picnic but worth it in the end.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom