THR I made it to the other side!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most of us went through an ugly bout of the post op depression/ frustration/ when will this end/ want to go outside/ tired of being an invalid/ what was that feeling/ is my leg ok/ what if it heals wrong/ what if I can't be normal again/ and so on....

For me, the med cocktail played a big role in this, and then finding a better cocktail led to days of pain not controlled. I cried over dropping lunch on the floor I'd just made while standing in pain, cried over feeling misunderstood, cried over commercials, cried over not being able to put clothes on without pain, etc..... And I'm not a cryer!!!

Hang in there. It will pass. Mine took about 2 wks but again, meds were wacked during that time.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
OMG, I was so angry at the supermarket today! Only 12 days post op, I still needed a scoot scoot to ride at the store. As I was leaving, there was a woman getting out of a truck with a cane. I told her I was leaving and she could have the scooter if she wanted. She looked at me and said "No. I don't need it, I'M NOT LAZY, unlike other people!" I was speechless. I think my chin hit the ground. Do I have a weight problem, yes, But Holy Cow....how freaking shallow and assuming!!!! I couldn't even justify her ignorance with a response. That has eaten at me all night. Grrrrr...........mean people suck.
 
First of all... Kudos to you for being at the market 12 days post op!!! You go with your awesome self! As for the (insert word of your choice) woman, her ugliness is a reflection of herself and has nothing to do with you. I would fume too, but then let it go. Karma will work it out.


RTHR, posterior, 15JUN2015
 
Some people are truly miserable and bitter and need to take their problems out on others...I say, feel sorry for them, as their life can't be very pleasant!

Years ago my best friend and I took our young daughters to the mall (my friends daughter had just turned 4 years old at the time). Her daughter was outrageously hyperactive, so she would put her in a stroller when we were going to very busy places such as malls. So, this particular day, as we got on the elevator, some woman rudely said, "isn't she a bit old for a stroller?" Well, I don't know how I even thought of this, but what flew out of my mouth was, "uhhh, she has polio and can't walk!" The woman's face turned beet red, her mouth fell open and all she could say was, "oh, oh, oh!" It was so hysterical! It felt sooo good! Lol!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Cynthia7777 I love your sass! You crack me up :)

It's always soooo much easier for me to stand up for anyone but myself. I can even stick up for strangers but when it's me, I freeze. Of course 5 minutes later I have the perfect, witty, come back..... But.... That doesn't help in the moment.


RTHR, posterior, 15JUN2015
 
OOPS I did it again. I was feeling restless so I went for a short walk. Now, I am down for the count. Good lord I hate being immobile! This weekend I actually have places I need to go, and I am not sure I can even fake my way of feeling OK through it. I have been trying not to take my narcotics, but that will not be the case this weekend! Let's just hope I don't fall asleep in the middle of my son's play because of them! Yikes.
Someday, I will learn. I hope.
 
Hey all, I am almost 4 months post op of an anterior THR. In the last few days I have been getting really sharp pains/jolts where my wound drain was and at the bottom of my incision. I also get the sensation of a deep itch under my incision that I just can't scratch because it is still numb. Could this be nerves regenerating themselves?
 
Hey all, I am almost 4 months post op of an anterior THR. In the last few days I have been getting really sharp pains/jolts where my wound drain was and at the bottom of my incision. I also get the sensation of a deep itch under my incision that I just can't itch because it is still numb. Could this be nerves regenerating themselves?

Bumped up for those that know the answer !!
 
Hmm. By jolts, do you mean electrical sensations? Like pins and needles, only intensified? If so, I've had those, although they came in my first and second months after surgeries. It is not uncommon among us. Magnesium supplements were helpful for me.

The itching makes me think something is healing. But I have no idea what nerves feel like when they regenerate. Let me tag @Josephine for you to address this.

Sharon
 
It's a popular myth that any of these sensations are due to nerves 'regenerating'. Nerves when numbed either by division or a regional block, do demonstrate some 'nervy' behaviour such as you describe. It's the recommencement of the electrical-type activity that is, in essence, what nerve activity is.
 
I merged your threads as per this request One thread for your recovery please?

It is so much easier to be able to help you and give you the advice you need when we are able to easily see when your surgery was, what other issues you may have had, and what has been going on in your recovery just by looking at one thread instead of bouncing back and forth between two or more other threads.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom