Guest viewing is limited

TKR I made it to the other side

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope this works, it's a photo of my new straight left leg. I do not know how to turn the photo, so it's sideways :gaah:
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] I made it to the other side
    straight leg.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 188
My pre-surgery VERY valgus knee. Grossly bent, so happy I have a straight leg now
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] I made it to the other side
    pre surgery valgus.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 173
Constipation: We really like Smooth Move tea at our house, it seems to work really well for us.
Mean things people say: I just vented on my thread about a friend that doesn't understand.
Heels: I couldn't wear anything over 1 1/2 to 2 inches for so long that I haven't tried yet. Besides the fact that I'm 5'9" anyway and all the gals I work with are around 5'5", I don't want to really tower over them...lol...but, my favorite pair of boots has a 2" heel on them and there are times when I still can't wear them. I think it was around 8 weeks when I first tried them.
 
oh, I was going to ask about the orthotics you mentioned. Were those that you used prior to surgery? Should you get the prescription for them revised now that you've had surgery? just curious
 
oh, I was going to ask about the orthotics you mentioned. Were those that you used prior to surgery? Should you get the prescription for them revised now that you've had surgery? just curious

Yes I will be getting a new prescription once my gait is more consistent and stabilized. For now I'm using the over the counter Dr Scholls type. As always thank you for the response and genuine care. Xoxo. Jana
 
I'm with Judy on the shoes. I've had a couple "events" to go to and have a very low heel black shoe which I've worn a couple times, but pre-2 weeks, if they didn't like my tennies, that was their issue.

Yea on no staples. Glad it went smoothly. Have not used Vitamin E oil, but ironically a friend just suggested that to me today. Her mom had two wrist surgeries - used it on one and not on the other - the one shows hardly any scar. But I would think we'd want to wait until everything is healed up. Moderators - any info on scar treatment? I'm also wondering about the sun. I was once told to put tape over them for the first year. ????
 
Yay for your newly straightened leg! Pre surgery, my shin bone was starting to look like it was bowing out. I got so excited the day that I noticed that it was straightening out!!
 
I'm with Judy on the shoes. I've had a couple "events" to go to and have a very low heel black shoe which I've worn a couple times, but pre-2 weeks, if they didn't like my tennies, that was their issue.

Yea on no staples. Glad it went smoothly. Have not used Vitamin E oil, but ironically a friend just suggested that to me today. Her mom had two wrist surgeries - used it on one and not on the other - the one shows hardly any scar. But I would think we'd want to wait until everything is healed up. Moderators - any info on scar treatment? I'm also wondering about the sun. I was once told to put tape over them for the first year. ????

When my daughter had an injury to her face and neck, she had over 200 stitches. The physician always had us put the lite weight tape on top of the scars whenever she was outside or might have any exposure to the sun. We followed this religiously, along with massaging in the vitamin E oil. She virtually has no visible scarring. I am going to give it a try on the knee. If it works then it will be great. If not, no big deal As I mentioned before my mini-skirt days are LONG gone. Lol!!

My daughter was 3 when it happened, so I'm sure youth was on her side :)
 
I got some realllly comfy shoes today. They have superb arch support and stability. They're made by Dansko. They are a black clog type slip on. They feel heavenly.
 
Ugh. I am having such problems with my right ankle. It is spe and swollen. It doesn't seem to matter
What type O'S shoes to wear. My new Danskos offer lovely arch support as do my new balance but the soreness and swelling really hurts. I have a Dr appt on the 17th hopefully he can put me on the road to resolution. I continue to ice it for the pain and swelling
 
HAd you had problems with the ankle previously Jana? I ask because I am having some aches and pains too. You had noted the valgus knee pre-surgery: I am wondering to what extent getting our leg(s) straightened has changed the angles our ankles were used to - if adjusting to that is what is causing the pain and swelling you are experiencing. Please let us know what your OS says. Good luck!
 
I will definitely post after my follow up. Today I wore sandals and it didn't hurt as much but it was still noticeably swollen. Its more swollen on the non operated leg (I can't remember if I mentioned this before). I feel dirt of burned out and really tired ... Almost as much as I did early on in the post surgery days. Almost wonder if I'm regressing somedays. Endurance continues to be a struggle. About. 25-30 minutes of sustained walkIng/motion seems to be my limit. Granted this is still about twice where I was prior to my TKR. As my husband says "Rome wasn't RE built in a day". Lol
 
Even with the other leg (yes, you did mention and I caught that), during recovery, it is still picking up the slack of the recovering leg it seems. Leading up stairs, doing the bending going down, etc. Glad it felt a bit better today - hope that is the start of getting better.
 
25-30 minutes of sustained walking at your stage is more than I could have handled at that point. patience seems to be the hardest part of this recovery.
 
I had both feet an ankles x-rayed last week and have been given a referral to a podiatrist. Put o 800 mg of Motrin which I don't like as I am prone to bruising. I continue to ice my ankles, feet, knees this does help. I drove yesterday for one hour straight and did well. I attended a Dan e recital and did "ok". I got very stiff and wished I had some ice with me. Today I am tired and have even doing lots of icing any gentle stretching to loosen me back up
 
Good ;uck with the podiatrist - hopefully s/he can give you some answers!
 
Out of the blue, having done nothing unusual, the front of my operated knee feels oddly numb and "thick". I iced it as it looked like it might be slightly swollen. Is this normal to have a sudden change of sensation especially since I had a rather mundane day.
 
I had been feeling pretty much on top of the world at home I've now returned to my job and it's not really a tough job. I feel sore and really tired. Almost as if I've regressed into a phase long gone by. My hips hurt , glutes are on fire. Both knees sore. I was seen by a podiatrist and was referred for custom orthotics. They correct my supination but really hurt to wear. I am sorry for the complaints but I wonder if something has gone wrong or if this is normal?
 
I am self employed and have only done 2 jobs since my surgery. I am 3 months out and I am still very tired. I also get really sore if I am walking a lot or sitting at the computer for an extended time so I imagine if I worked more then I have it would not be a lot of fun. Probably pretty normal I suspect. But better to talk to those who work more hours. Just saying though I know I would have a lot more problems if I was working more.
 
My LTKR was 01/07/13. I have gone back to work part time. Monday will be my third day working just four hours a day and I am in constant pain. I know that I should of stayed out of work longer but I didn't want to jeopardize my job. I am currently taking three to four Percocet 10 and I go to PT twice a week. I was joking with my hubby on Friday after work that he can now chop my leg off. My knee, hips, ankles, basically everything hurts. I want to stay out of work a little bit longer but I really like my job and they are so messed up accounting wise at this point. Basically it hurts to stand too long and it hurts to sit too long. Wondering if I use my crutches at work on Monday if that would help.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom