TKR I Have a New Knee

Status
Not open for further replies.
@thequiltermom
Sorry have to text on my IPhone as iPad doesn't get coverage here.
Meant to finish with a few hours of comfortable sleep before your next pain med.
Ice and elevate - sweet dreams
I thought the comfortable "sler" was you dozing off in mid post. :heehee: Hey, it's happened... :)
 
The new therapist showed me how to get in and out of my bed without assistance. My daughter got to sleep all night. This is such a big deal to me because I felt badly about waking her up every morning at 4. My youngest son was taking a turn but most of the time it was my daughter. Just another step on my road to independence.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I have a question. I'm going to have my follow up appt with the OS next week. I finished the Norco prescription I received from the hospital. I started the Percocet I was given by the OS prior to surgery. Should I ask for another prescription or am I expected to be off narcotics by the time this prescription runs out? I have 60 tabs. My surgery was done on July 22nd. Thanks for your input.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
If you need more pain medication call! They only give you so many when you leave the hospital. My OS gave me one week supply at a time and I had to call and have someone pick up the script each week until I didn't need them. Sounds like you are doing great!
 
You need to take the pain meds as long as you need them. It should be a natural reduction, not a sudden, arbitrary cut-off. So like Jozilla said, talk to your OS about a refill.
 
Should I ask for another prescription or am I expected to be off narcotics by the time this prescription runs out?
At 1½ weeks out? I should say not! I was taking the full whack of my prescribed pain meds for 4 whole months! You're just about to enter your really intense period.
 
The therapist told me I can start using a cane sometimes. My surgery was two weeks ago and I can see the progress I'm making.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Today the therapist walked outside with me. So great to have sun on my face. We also went down and up my basement stairs. I'm so psyched cause my sewing room is in the basement. Going to start doing a little sewing now. Still can't get my knee to 90 degrees. I'm supposed to be discharged from home PT on Saturday. Hopefully I can reach the magic number.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Went to see the OS today and he was not pleased. My ROM is less than 90 degrees. He said if I'm not significantly improved in one month that he wants to do MUA. Then when they went to remove the staples, my wound opened up so they left the rest in. Have to go back in a week.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I am sure someone will be along shortly that is more knowledgeable about MUA's. It is just my opinion - which is not medical - that it is too soon. Once your swelling decreases your Rom will increase. If it were me I would rest, elevate and ice as much as possible! Good luck. I do not think your numbers are that bad!
 
Oh, why do they throw MUA around so early?! Maybe they think they're being informative but many of us hear it as a "threat." The PTs even got me all wound up about it and I *know better.*

If you're progressing bit by bit, MUA will likely not be needed. My real gains didn't come for several weeks until the swelling went down considerably. Just keep doing your gentle exercises, pushing just past your comfort zone and like Jozilla said, get plenty of ice and elevation.

Keep us posted so we can cheer you on. Responses may be a bit spotty while the forum has been undergoing maintenance etc but we haven't forgotten about you or anyone.
 
@thequiltermom Happy Birthday!
[Bonesmart.org] I Have a New Knee
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom