Bilateral TKR I had both knees tkr and am struggling

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can & you will recover even without strong pain meds... Yes it will be a bit slower, but if you can't take them, then take tylenol like I did. So keep me in mind and move forward anyhow. I did it and so can you. Find things you can do to beat the boredom while you heal.....:flwrysmile: Good books, good tv, sit in the park and watch kids play baseball, see a movie, have dinner out, etc....
 
Is this true.... this does scare me, as I assumed these were professionals who know what they are doing ?
I'm sure it does scare you but professionals or not, these cases I have seen in my career as an occupational health nurse were real and true. You achieve nothing good with so much punishing activity, especially in the presence of pain and swelling. All it does is generate more pain and swelling! And with your already excellent ROM at only 8 weeks out, there really is no need to anyway. You'd be much better just doing stretches and I know just the man who can tell you some really good ones to do - he had a bilat too. @Roy Gardiner

So yes, I would recommend the Tylenol, 1,000mg 4 times per 24hrs. If that's all you can take then it has to be. I do understand that some people cannot tolerate the stronger drugs.

Just an observation, have you ever tried Tramadol?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Like Josephine says, remember that those soft tissues are still healing and you have to give them a chance to heal not put them through the wringer. It's one of the toughest things about this recovery--finding the balance between doing some PT work and letting things heal.
btw your ROM looks great. I'm jealous. :wink:
 
Hi kneeper,
Thanks , I am doing better and have changed some of the things I was doing wrong.
New Question????
I am not taking any hard prescription drugs at this time, and have very little pain. But my knees scars are very sensitive and my bed covers irritate them; and when laying flat my legs will stiffen and burn and insist that I continuously change positions of them every few minutes.
I am having a very hard time going to sleep and staying asleep.
I have tried taking sleeping pills 2 hours before bedtime, and Tylenol PM 2 1 hour before bedtime.
Sometime these help , other time not at all.
I have taken Zanx (anxiety pill) in the place of the sleeping pill and this works fairly good, but I undertstand this is a drug that could be very habit forming.
Any suggestions on this ?
 
I saw a video somewhere on this forum that shows a man putting cream on his knees, then lightly wrapping saran wrap around his knee. It helps keep the sheets off of your knee while sleeping.. I heard it works so maybe you should try it.
 
@Perry, My knee was super sensitive, too. My physical therapist said to start rubbing it quite often to desensitize it. If I am sitting and not icing, I rub it with a towel or sometimes using lotion. Helped me. Good luck.
 
I would wrap my knee in an Ace bandage at night ( lightly ) I also heard to desensitize the
Nerves to take cloths made of different textures & gently drag them across your knees.
This was suggested by my P.T. Hope this helps....
Sincerely,
Diana :flwrysmile:
 
I have no suggestions on the sensitivity but it looks like you got some good ones.
Trying to sleep is a real pain in the patootie isn't it? I had a lousy night last night, myself. Do you take anything for pain? Maybe some tylenol before bed will help keep you comfortable?

I think it was around week 8-10 last time before I was sleeping normally.
I was sure I'd never be sleeping in a way that I'd be ready to go back to work at week 12, but I was.
 
Your recovery, in certain ways, mirrors mine---my scars were uber-sensitive, and I had to be very careful as to what clothes I could wear---I also rubbed some lotion on it, but it did take some time to become desensitized.

I am having a very hard time going to sleep and staying asleep.
This, without a doubt, was the most frustrating aspect of my recovery---I actually began to dread night-time. I would fall asleep for a 1/2-hour to an hour, then WHAM!!! I would be awake.

It was not that I was in pain, per ce, it was more of the idea that I could never get comfortable. I would wander around the house, from guest bed to couch to futon---eventually I would throw the futon mattress onto the floor and collapse there. My one yellow lab, ever loyal, would follow me around and sleep next to me.

I was very much like Diogenes---but instead of looking for one honest man, I was, like you, looking for one good night's sleep. I actually found this forum on a late night foray on the internet! (I watched just about every late-night re-run of Law and Order ever produced.

I returned to the classroom at eight weeks (too early, but that is another story), and I had about two hours sleep on the night that I returned.

I ended up taking Ambien for ten nights---that settled my sleep pattern down and I moved on without any other issues.

My patience, like yours, was taxed, but I reached deep down inside myself and found patience that I did not know that I had.

Hang in there---the BTKR is worth it---and, down the road, you will be able to look back and see how you mastered this.
 
This is the video. I just watched it yesterday :)

Perry, I'm so sorry you are having such a rough recovery. I haven't crossed the line yet....still waiting for mine so I can't really offer any first hand advice. Just know there are people who care. :console2:
 
I am almost 4 months post-op and it has only been in the last few weeks that I could sleep through the night. Well, actually I can't but it isn't the knees that are waking me up it is the need to go to the bathroom.

[Bonesmart.org] I had both knees tkr and am struggling
 
Thanks Janet for finding that video.. Thats the one alright..... I hope it helps perry when he sees it.
 
Hi guys, Thanks for the tips ..... I have just started trying some extra strength Tylenol ,,, mmmmm
I will try the skin lotion and wrap the legs tonight.
It really is lousy that we are struggling so hard during the day trying to stay positive and get through this and then cannot get a good night's sleep. I find myself dreading and in fear of each night that I will spend it wide awake and miserable.
I know, I know,,,,,, just hang in there better day are coming.....please come faster !!!!!!
 
Thanks Janet,,,,
I watched the video.
I have to try this to see what happens.
I will post my results.
Thanks for the support referee54....I could so Identify with your comments.
 
@Perry Sadly it seem that lack of sleep seems to be a too common factor in recovery. My husband has been trying everything, he will have a halfway good night and then lots of restless ones. He tried benadryl - nothing. Bengay on his thigh muscle - nothing. flexeril - nothing. ice - nothing. heat on the muscle - helped a little. If I rub his thigh muscle it helps a little. His surgeon today said to get his regular doctor to subscibe Ambien, so thursday we will try that.

If anyone does the wrap thing from the video please let us know how it goes.
 
It really is lousy that we are struggling so hard during the day trying to stay positive and get through this and then cannot get a good night's sleep. I find myself dreading and in fear of each night that I will spend it wide awake and miserable.
Like I wrote, I began to dread the nighttime due to the sleep issues.

That being said, after I got over the frustration, I just more or less accepted it and napped a great deal during the day.

It was not until about week eight when I took the Ambien that I re-established my sleep schedule. I tried Tylenol PM, I tried some herbal teas, and I tried Melatonin, but nothing seemed to work.

My OS said that it was absolutely normal, but really had no clue as to what actually caused it.

Take heart in knowing that it is indeed temporary and that normalcy---in all aspects---will return.
 
Here is the result of the plastic leg wrap. After watching the video, I had to try this see if it was indeed a serious suggestion. Right before getting into bed I lathered each leg (my incisions are fully healed) with a hand lotion and wrapped them in a plastic wrap. Looked and felt odd but not uncomfortable. As for becoming a barrier between the sensitive scars and the sheets this was indeed effective. Also this insulated the legs from uncomfortable tingling sensations while rolling into different positions.

Because I had gone two consecutive nights with very little sleep, I had taken a strong anxiety pill and two Tylenols. So, between the pill and the lessened sensitivity of the legs I sleep a five hour stretch, (which is amazing for me) and got up to go to the bathroom. Got back in bed and slept almost 2 more hours (another very unusual feat). When I did get up and unwrap the knees, they were stiff (perhaps a bit less than normal) but were a very odd grey/blue color.

I rubbed in the remaining unabsorbed lotion and the sensitively of the area was less, and the normal pink color came back soon. The legs during the first hour of arising feel more or less about the same in stiffness, but less sensitive. I will try this again tonight using an Ambien sleep pill and see what results. My suggestion to others is (desperate people do desperate things) as odd as this is, you may want to give it a try.
 
@Perry That's wonderful news!!! And a lesson for us all to just put it out there, whatever it is. Someone else has been there, done that and just may hold the answer to your problem. Here's hoping it works for you again tonight :)
 
@Perry Glad it worked for you. Hubby's scar isn't sensitive (I rub vitamin E oil in it), so that wouldn't help him. He did try one benedryl and a dose of zzzquil and got 5 hours sleep last night.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom