TKR I did it!!

You're not stuck @Cococay, your just not even a full month into recovery. I wouldn't worry about the nurse at work returning in three weeks, I think she is in for a rude surprise. It does take the body a while to adjust to having a working knee again. I had limped for so many years that my muscle memory was of limping, and I had to concentrate hard on heel-toe walking so I wasn't limping. Months after I was feeling great, if I got in too much of a hurry, someone would ask why I was limping. I wasn't hurting, just falling into my old walk pattern. That to passes with time.

Oh @Cococay I am sorry you’re feeling low. But, as all the experienced people here have said, it is early days. Please try not to get discouraged, as you said you have compensated with other parts of your body for a long time, and your brain is now having to re set to your new gait. Try to be patient (easier said than done, I am frustrated already not even a week)! You WILL get to a point where you are not constantly thinking about your knee, and you WILL get your life back. It’s been a long tough road, but you’re on the positive part of the journey now. Hang in there, we’re all with you.

Hey Cococay, I'll share with you what I'm telling myself, tongue-in-cheek, still pre-op: "When it gets tough, the tough get tougher." What I mean is...Advocate for yourself and take strength in that. You and your care team will find the sweet spot between your listening to others and doing what you can handle. You've had some great replies here from experienced folks. And it means...give yourself permission to cry if you need to but remember to refocus on getting to those pain-free days coming in the future. It gets better!
I, too, am cheering you on through the hard parts and will celebrate your victories with you, big and small. They will come! :)
I'm wishing you all the best! You can do this! And when I'm where you are in my replacement journey, you can remind me what I told you. I'll probably need to hear it! Upwards and onwards!

I also needed my walker longer than I had hoped I would. I used the walker for 4 weeks before starting to use the cane. And I felt like I was left in the dust with everyone long off the walker prior to me....lol. But in all seriousness I totally feel your stress. I had the same feeling in my non operative leg. I had a lot of work to do with my left leg and it was my right leg that had the replacement. I am at 8 weeks now and am just at the point where I’m feeling stable and steady walking with no assist. Its much more important to stay the course with the walker and then eventually the cane so you can focus on good stride and steady effective walking. I hated hated hated it that I needed it for so long but IT DOES get better. I had a hard time accepting that it was on its own timeline and I was driving myself crazy thinking I was going to end up needing a walker or cane forever at the age of 54. Any strengthening exercises I did I did for both of my legs not just my rtkr knee. I found quickly how weakened my left was....but I’m working on strength and can see a nice difference. Your coworker will find she most likely will not be ready for a return to work at 3 weeks if she’s is a nurse that needs to be on her feet while at work. I am a nurse and at 8 weeks am not ready to be back at work and am not even sure I will be ready at 12 weeks either. At this point there’s no way I can be on my feet non stop for a shift. Prior to my surgery I truly had no idea how difficult it would end up being needing to be on my feet for extended periods of time. I really did my homework and was pretty well prepared for things before surgery...but until you go thru this and know how this goes day to day I know now I had no idea how it would all feel. THis group has been very good at keeping me grounded with my expectations and helping me know I’m healing just fine.

I'm 5 weeks out and I'm having problems with my back. I know that every time I've had a knee replacement at some point during the recovery my back will cause some problems. It always gets better. It takes time. If you need the walker still then use it. This is not a race to get rid of the walker or cane. It will come in time. Hang in there.

I seriously wish i could show my boss this thread.
I love you all. Thank you for the reassurance.:loveshwr::loveshwr::loveshwr:

I also have lower back pains and my good knee has been sore behind the knee. Never had these pains before so as my body adjusts to the new knee, it'll all settle.

@Cococay if you want to send your thread to your boss, open it up to the first post and copy the web address at the top. You can paste it into an email and your boss can read the thread without having to sign up for BoneSmart.

Well my friends- today the director (owner) where I work called me - like usual no big deal. But then she talked about me returning and she didn’t say the words you must return now- but that is what she meant. I told her I’m worried about all the steps (25 narrow stairs) and she decided to temporarily have me at another site to train someone in. I told her I have appts with OT for lymphedema and PT - each twice a week —and I tried explaining that my balance is not great so I don’t want to - go backwards by doing to much -the wrong way because I’m not ready. She said oh of course- we want you to go but you should try and schedule them early or late so it’s not during work. I was planning to tell her I want to phase in going back -i had thought the phased return to work from this site is very good. But the way the conversation went didn’t allow me to discuss it.
so Monday after my appt I’m returning.... but I am working on and Praying about it (a lot) that if it’s to much I am able to tell them and that it won’t affect my job. That’s all I can really do.
I have worked from home for 2 week and I’m 4 weeks post op now- so I started that after only 2 week’s but at home I don’t have to get ready and then warm up the car etc etc. and even this is sometimes exhausting. I know in the beginning I talked about returning early-but I’ve discovered how important it is to listen to my body-so I’m worried but as I said I’m Praying and I will see what happens (with the support of all my Bonesmart friends).

Well my friends- today the director (owner) where I work called me - like usual no big deal. But then she talked about me returning and she didn’t say the words you must return now- but that is what she meant. I told her I’m worried about all the steps (25 narrow stairs) and she decided to temporarily have me at another site to train someone in. I told her I have appts with OT for lymphedema and PT - each twice a week —and I tried explaining that my balance is not great so I don’t want to - go backwards by doing to much -the wrong way because I’m not ready. She said oh of course- we want you to go but you should try and schedule them early or late so it’s not during work. I was planning to tell her I want to phase in going back -i had thought the phased return to work from this site is very good. But the way the conversation went didn’t allow me to discuss it.
so Monday after my appt I’m returning.... but I am working on and Praying about it (a lot) that if it’s to much I am able to tell them and that it won’t affect my job. That’s all I can really do.
I have worked from home for 2 week and I’m 4 weeks post op now- so I started that after only 2 week’s but at home I don’t have to get ready and then warm up the car etc etc. and even this is sometimes exhausting. I know in the beginning I talked about returning early-but I’ve discovered how important it is to listen to my body-so I’m worried but as I said I’m Praying and I will see what happens (with the support of all my Bonesmart friends).

Wow I cannot imagine going back to work at 4 weeks. I really hope that you are at least able to get a phased in return to work!

:wave:Hello @Cococay Happy Friday!
Time and again we read here how once you’re back to work, your colleagues consider you “back“ and may not be as accommodating as you’re hoping they’ll be.

Wondering if your surgeon feels it okay for you to return at this time? If not, possibly you could re-address this with the owner. I’m wondering if she’s insensitive, or just clueless about the recovery process of joint replacement?

If there is no danger in losing your position, pray for courage and the right words to re-open dialogue with her. It can’t hurt and it may help. Explain your fatigue, and your fear of suffering a set back due to your lack of strength and stability, the balance issue you mentioned. With a phased return you’d be allowing yourself time to safely acclimate, without any misfortune tripping you up and sending you back home again indefinitely.

Also, address your concentration level, if it applies. It took me some time to be able to concentrate, or retain info. I understand this is different for everyone, but that would have been a concern of mine for sure.

Why don’t you see if you can schedule several appointments for both OT and PT (early, or late in the day as she requested you do) and give the owner a proposal of sorts for the next 4-6 weeks that reflect your appointments and the hours you feel you can handle physically in the work place. Basically your own Phased Return Proposal. You will need to advocate for yourself it seems, so pray for the confidence to do so and the wisdom to create a schedule that works for both of you. I’ll join you in prayer. :prayer:

I measured 105 and 2 today! However I am really regretting waiting so long to have this done. The damage it caused from limping etc - has not only given me sciatica on opposite side but my hip-pelvis muscles are so weak it’s terrible——- PT had me try the cane again. Normally you would put the cane on the non operative side. When I do that it’s so unstable and wobbly. Since my knee feels ok I asked if I should put it on the operative side since that side is creating a problem. She had me try and it takes getting used to but it was much better that way. I worry that will be bad for my knee...... what should I do?

I've never been able to use a cane the 'right' way. I tried more than once to use a cane on my left side, but I was never able to do so. It hasn't harmed my knee, and it gave me the extra support I needed. Use the cane on the side that helps keep you secure and steady, rather than the 'proper' way. After all, the job of a cane is to give you some extra support and if you're unstable using it on the non-operated leg side, you won't be stable and that will defeat the purpose of a cane.

Hello and Happy Friday! :wave:
Wondering if you made your way back to work and if so, how is it going?
Hopefully you’re able to rest, ice and elevate upon your return home, not doing much else until you‘re feeling stronger and steadier on your feet.
Best wishes your weekend is a good one! :)
@Cococay

Hi @Cococay. I am also wondering how you’re doing and whether you have managed to sort the work thing out? I don’t feel comfortable with the cane on the “correct” side either. And I have to say I don’t really understand the logic, surely the cane is there as a support crutch for the operated leg? Anyway, I say do what feels comfortable and what makes you feel safe. Sorry to hear you’re suffering with sciatica, I have heard this from several people who’ve had TKR. I think one suggestion is to buy new shoes as your gait may be different? Good excuse to go shoe shopping at some time!:heehee:

Wishing you well

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Kneelythere
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom