Guest viewing is limited

I am the biggest wimp... so afraid. I feel like hiding and running away

Status
Not open for further replies.
I felt very afraid for both of my knee replacement operations. Please know that my pain management at the hospital was perfect. I did not feel any pain for the first two days. I had a small ball shaped pump attached during operation that administered pain medication for almost 3 days. This worked great
only requiring small amounts of additional pain meds. So, do not worry about the level of pain immediately after the operation.
 
Good idea to bring someone with you. It can help to have someone else hear the answers too.
 
When you go see your OS, have the questions already written down---have a list of questions that you wish to ask. That way, you can check them off and not have to say afterwards, "I forgot to ask him about..."

I would also agree that you need to having somebody with you, as they can also write answers down and have a different perspective on the answers, too. Having somebody else with you can help to clarify issues and and answers.
 
Does anyone sleep the weeks/days before the surgery... and LOL, how do I start a new post vs post reply.
Linda
surgery 7/21
 
Does anyone sleep the weeks/days before the surgery... and LOL, how do I start a new post vs post reply.
I did not have any trouble sleeping until the night before surgery---that was a long night...but I slept enough after surgery!

Do you want to start a new thread? Or do you want to keep posting in your pre-op thread now? You are allowed multiple pre-op threads, but during recovery, forum rules dictate that you only have one recovery thread.
 
how do I start a new post vs post reply.
Linda
surgery 7/21

Check out all the "how to's" in the How To Use This Forum link under the Help and Info tab at the top of the page. You'll find out many things about using BoneSmart there!
 
It's understandable to be frightened of surgery. The thing I've found, though, is that nothing is ever as bad as you think it will be.
I had both knees done at the same time 6 months ago, and I don't regret it. Neither will you.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
I don't think you could possibly be a worse wimp than I am! My TLKR is July 28, and I relate to your post so much. I'm going to start my own thread in a minute, but I'll be reading yours, too.

Cindy
 
I slept just fine the night before surgery. Got up, showered, had my daughter drop me off, and had a great time in pre-op talking with the prep-nurse, the inhouse resident, the anesthesiologist, and my surgeon. Nothing gets people talking like asking them how long have they been associated with that hospital, or if they are natives of the area. Plenty of interesting stories about how they got to be where they are. The only one who didn't talk much was my surgeon - he had lots of hips to sign that morning and needed to move along.

The hardest part of the morning of surgery was not making a cup of coffee after waking up that morning. I knew i was going to be in good hands and that I was going to feel a whole lot better after the surgery. I had made all the preparations needed to return home and survive alone. There simply wasn't anything for me to fret about and I was not going to let imaginary issues reside rent free in my head.
 
The surgery is the easy part in a lot of ways. You are out and the doc does his/her stuff and you wake up with a new knee. Then you and your body do their bit to recover.
 
The surgery is the easy part in a lot of ways. You are out and the doc does his/her stuff and you wake up with a new knee. Then you and your body do their bit to recover.
:iagree:Waiting for the surgery is indeed the toughest part; the surgery is easy, as you are out; afterwards, you and your new knee get to know each other and the recovery begins.
 
@Dosbichons Hello and welcome to Bonesmart. Like many others have said, there is really no way that anyone but you can determine if the time is right for your TKR and also how to get past the fear. That is all inside you. I had my right hip replaced back in Feb and will have my left knee done Aug 22nd. My knee has not gotten to the point that is controls how much I can do, but I wanted to get the hip and knee over with to get the healing done together. I have had issues with my knee since my 20s and am tired of dealing with the pain. The people here and the forum admins really do help with answering questions. Read all that you can to help you get a better grasp of what to expect. To me knowledge is power and the more I know about what to expect, the better prepared I feel. Good luck to you, will be watching for your post op thread to see how your recovery goes!!
 
You know, I think that for some of us, we've had other surgeries and with familiarity we get a bit more complacent. In some ways, isn't it great you've come so far in life with so little experience of the hospital system?
 
OMG, I am sooooooo afraid of having the surgery. I freak out when just having an average blood test... how on earth am I going to handle the surgery and to all you brave and strong souls..Bravo.
I am a wimp. I've postponed the surgery for a long time..and it's time...or is it>
any help about braving up for this?
 
Help me find the Leg riser info/pix...
Thank you
 
@Dosbichons, are you asking about an implement to help lift you leg up to move it from bed to floor and vice-versa or asking about something to elevate the whole leg with or possibly both? Let me know and I'll get you some info.
 
@Dosbichons, are you asking about an implement to help lift you leg up to move it from bed to floor and vice-versa or asking about something to elevate the whole leg with or possibly both? Let me know and I'll get you some info.
I hope I c an FIND my way back for your answer..something to help me lift the leg to be able to get it up and then turn it to be able to eventually position it so I can get out if bed...
I am finally ready to try and get to the toilet .."seat"
If I can go ..I can feel better /more confident. Going home.....Thank you:)
Linda
 
@Dosbichons, I use a physical therapy band to lift my leg, but you can use a dog leash, robe tie, belt or pretty much anything that you can loop around your foot. Don't feel that you have to go out and buy something special. The leg log that you may be feeling does get better! Hang in there and know that we are here to help! You are not alone in this! This is the BEST place to come with questions, concerns, venting frustrations, and celebrating the progress no matter how small!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom