TKR I am post-op phase and doing well

Status
Not open for further replies.
If percocet is working well, sounds like that's the one for you.
 
Feeling better, slept more and elevated properly yesterday.
Had a good morning at physical therapy and +5 degrees flexion
so I am at 95 degrees at 1.5 weeks.
Thanks for helping me to realize that I was worrying too much about rom.
 
Things are still going well. Friday I increased my rom to 5-95 degrees.
We focused on correct walking rom exercises as I tend to guard and stick out my hip.
Friday I felt like I gave back my rom and my muscles from back of my ankle to my butt hurt. I think normally it wouldn't be too much but with the knee pressure, I thought about all your input and increased pain meds. It helped me sleep better last night
 
Saturday was difficult. I hurt from ankle up the back of my leg to my butt.
Thankfully, I saw the posts on @MotownGirl66 thread talking about how muscle soreness, swelling pressure etc are all pain. I increased my meds back to max dose per time. I also slept a lot and today I got back to a 0-1 for pain and regained my rom.
So great to feel good today just when I was feeling like I was stuck.
 
Went to PT and used gravitron machine for weightless squat.
When I did single leg squat, prosthetic went through the range of motion in such a smooth painless fashion.
It brought tears to my eyes to realize what a creaky hinge my pre-surgerical knee was.
 
Those moments are sweet, aren't they! Good for you.
 
I am 4 wks post surgery. My rom is 0-115.
Because my pre surgical rom was normally 15-115
and the surgery itself my quadriceps seem to be overwhelmed by the additional extension.
I still walk with a crutch because my quadricep buckles after relatively short distances. Doctor says to start focusing on strength rather than rom.
He also said under anesthesia my rom was 0-120 degrees. Before surgery I could work my knee to 125 degrees and I suppose I was hoping for more post surgery.

In general I am really happy with my knee but I do feel a little disappointed. Is the prosthetic limiting me or might it still be possible to achieve more rom than expected?
 
I'm almost four weeks and I don't know what my measurements are! PT never measured with a device. I hope you get more ROM with time, as so many people do.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Jane B. Thank you.
I get measured at PT all the time. You can expect your rom to be up and down.
I have plateaued a few times and then made progress.
I can weather the ups and downs. I am wondering if the rom under anesthesia is considered a hard limit or if anyone has exceeded that?
 
Saturday was difficult. I hurt from ankle up the back of my leg to my butt.
Thankfully, I saw the posts on @MotownGirl66 thread talking about how muscle soreness, swelling pressure etc are all pain. I increased my meds back to max dose per time. I also slept a lot and today I got back to a 0-1 for pain and regained my rom.
So great to feel good today just when I was feeling like I was stuck.

Glad I could be of assistance!
 
I am 4 wks post surgery. My rom is 0-115.
Because my pre surgical rom was normally 15-115
and the surgery itself my quadriceps seem to be overwhelmed by the additional extension.
I still walk with a crutch because my quadricep buckles after relatively short distances. Doctor says to start focusing on strength rather than rom.
He also said under anesthesia my rom was 0-120 degrees. Before surgery I could work my knee to 125 degrees and I suppose I was hoping for more post surgery.

In general I am really happy with my knee but I do feel a little disappointed. Is the prosthetic limiting me or might it still be possible to achieve more rom than expected?


I don't think that anyone is expected to peak at 4 weeks post surgery. Once the swelling goes down, I'll bet that you continue to improve. My pre-surgery ROM was 135, but it's only 115 at 3 weeks. It seems unrealistic to expect your poor knee to be at its best just yet. It has been through major trauma.

More likely than not, they are telling you to focus on the more important short-term task of strength and proper gait vs. pushing only for ROM in the short run.

Take care of yourself. You are in good company!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom