I am in pain and cant seem to get the right help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for the Information!
Interesting that you can get needed Surgery done that quickly!
In western New York unless of course it is emergency surgery you might have to wait a month or more for A TOTAL HIP REPLACEMENT!
 
A month!? In the UK you can wait 6-8 months for the first consultation and the same period after that for the op!!
 
Hello group
I had a final consultation with my sergeon last night at 7:30. We spent 2.5 hours discussing everything I could think of and a lot that I never thought of and taking new X-rays. The X-rays convinced me I have been really luck that I can walk at all. He took measurements from the X-rays to determine the size joint and the type. He said I was a great candidate due to the high density of bone and muscle tone.
When I asked how long a lead time will be needed he said he was backed up so it might be 4.....days. I just called for an appointment in the morning, he set a same evening appointment so I did not have to take time away from work, then told me he would need 4 days notice to perform the operation.....when I had Kiaiser in the US, one of the better systems, it took 4 weeks just to get a Rush appointment.
He detailed the time table and said the first two post discharge appointments would be in my home, partly to see how the home was set up for me. Because I am moving the second week of January we set a date in the 3rd week. The cost has gone up because of the fall in the dollar and because we decided on a joint that was the most expensive one avalable, mostly due to my request that strenuous activity be a high planning goal in choices in procedure and prosthetic joint. He seemed confident that I would be able to return to running....on soft trails, no payment, in a reasonable period. So now the total estimated charge is going to be just over $6,000 including luxury private room with high speed internet and office work area and room for visitors to stay over, plus physical therapy afterwards. I had contacted a local specialist in California on recent visit to see if it was at all feasible but it was almost 10 times as expensive. Even if the costs where the same, the personal service difference would have my choice to be having it done here in Russia.
As a side note I asked f there was some way to control the pain in the month before the operation and he gave me some anti-imflamitory that I had never heard of and within an hour I was almost pain free. The next morning walked to work instead of taking the bus(is it only a few blocks but when it has been as painful as it has been, a bus to go a few blocks is the way to go). He said to take them only 10 days and then stop for 5 days. If I had gotten this much good from anti-imflamitories in the past I would have saved a great deal of torture.
So I am on my way to getting my life back and I am thrilled!
Stan
 
$6,000 for all that luxury - my word! I'm staggered! It sounds like you made a great choice there, Stan. I really pleased for you.
 
I hope it all goes very well as it sounds like it is. Please keep us informed I am interested. Also what was the name of the anti-inflammatory that worked well.
I have used bextra,celebrex etc and none of them gave me releif just an upset
stomach. My doctor has prescribe morphine in a time released form. It has worked well but I dont want to have any detox issues so I am debateing not taking anymore.
thanks
 
Hi TYDS
I never took anything for the pain but maybe that was foolish since nothing I was going to do if not in pain would worsen the joint. Thursday night I visited a local pub and a friend called to see if a band was playing. I agreed to stay until she got there but did not think I would be a good dance partner after the last 2 months of obviously worsening pain.
That was a few days after getting the anti-imflamitory and feeling much better but I was still very shy about over doing it thinking hell would be paid the next morning. As it turned out, the Beatles cover band switched to hard rock/Stones and Zep, and that sort of thing so I had to dance. Not only did it not hurt I forgot to favor the leg and had a ball for the next 3 hours without stopping. The club owner said our drinks were on the house since our dancing was a hit with the crowd. It was like 5-6 years ago. But I did wear out my dance partner Irina, an athletic slim 25 year old, who can be excused because I have 40 years more practice in partying! The next morning I was fine, no 30 minutes of stretching and flexing to be able to stand up like usual lately.
I dropped the medication for a few days to see if it was causing the bloated feeling in my stomach that started right after I first took them. I will have to translate the name when I get home as see the box to see what it is in Latin characters, it is in Cyrillic. The clinic gave them to me, a box of 10 to be taken once a day in the morning on a full stomach. I notice the box had a price sticker of 200 Rubles or about $8 which is pretty high for here.


Josephine: Yes, I was please with the price since I am paying out of pocket and my income is a small fraction of what it once was. It would have been cheaper if I used the same surgeon but using a city center general hospital but the quality of this clinic is so obviously more pleasant. Even if I had the money and time for the operation in the US, I would choose here simply because of how I have been treated. No one is too busy or rushed to deal with my questions or concerns. One feature that was interesting was that the room is large enough to allow a friend or family member to stay in the room with me. They encourage that, particularly if the patient is a foreign visitor. I really do not think that someone would feel isolated here, it is very European in lifestyle and character....only better;>). I think it is a nice gesture but I would rather not have to put my GF out, although she says she would love to be there to help.
The funny thing is that even though the private rooms are larger than typical hotel rooms, they are actually less per night than the major hotels here. I gave a copy of the menu to my girlfriend and i think that is the reason she was so interested in staying there;>) Somebody ought to eat it, I suppose I will not be in the mood or have the stomach for fine dining for a while. But then, I have what is refered to as a Cast Iron stomach and have never gotten out of sorts eating local food in 86 countries, in some pretty backwards places, along with some excellent foodie havens.
Stan
 
....... Also what was the name of the anti-inflammatory that worked well.
I have used bextra,celebrex etc and none of them gave me releif just an upset
stomach. My doctor has prescribe morphine in a time released form. It has worked well but I dont want to have any detox issues so I am debateing not taking anymore.
thanks
Hi TYDS I looked at the box of the medication, it is Artrosilene which is a trade name for Ketoprofen, an NSAID. This one is made in Italy in 320mg capsules over the counter. Almost all medications are available over the counter here, it is assumed adults are responsible for their own choices in medications so any Apteka(pharmacy) sells without a perscription. I refilled last night and it was 208Rubles for a box of 10, for use once a day.
That is about $8 making it one of the more expensive drugs. The most expensive per dose drug here is Viagra, which over the counter is about $16 each tablet and it represents a major part of an Apteka's income. Common antibiotics and mild analgesics are about $0.05 to $0.10 a dose.

Although Ketoprofen is said to have lower risk of stomach ulcers than some of the other NSAIDs, according to Wikipedia, if you have stomach problems you should monitor your reaction carefully if you take it. Also there seems to be quite a range of effectiveness between individuals. I take no medications normally for anything, not even asprin so if I do take anything, it seems to have a strong effect. Looking at a strong cup of coffee will have me "wired" all night possibly because I have never had a cup of coffee before. So my positive results to taking Ketoprofen might not be the norm.

In the US Ketoprofen is called Orudis and Oruvail and is more expensive even though it comes from the same production lines in Europe.

Good luck
Stan
 
My father just had partial hip surgery and he was told he will need to go inpatient for physical therapy for a time. Does anyone have any idea how long he will be scheduled approximately.He is 84 an in good shape for his age.

Thanks alot
 
So sorry to hear of your doc and insurance woes! Have you considered contacting your insurance company directly to see if they could offer you any assistance in finding a willing surgeon?
 
Hi

Too young you say? - I was 27 when I had my first hip (complications arising from birth defect). It was the best thing I ever had done, I've had my problems since and have currently just had further surgery. I'm a bit different from the norm but my surgeons here in the UK have been more than willing to give me a chance.

I have a friend who had both hips done at the age of 19 (she's now 42) - Keep looking there will be someone out there for you.
 
Thanks,I have 2 appointments with diifferent Docs this month,They both come highly recommended but I am so disillusioned by the bad docs I have encountered so far. Too young is not a good excuse,not as severe,not ready yet because of.....,etc etc but too young alone is not acceptable. If I dont need one then why cant I lift my right leg without agony, why cant I get into the shower without agony?,why cant I put my right sock on? You get the idea(grin).Anyway I will let you know.

Thanks to everyone for your help!!!
 
Thanks,I have 2 appointments with diifferent Docs this month,They both come highly recommended but I am so disillusioned by the bad docs I have encountered so far. Too young is not a good excuse,not as severe,not ready yet because of.....,etc etc but too young alone is not acceptable. If I dont need one then why cant I lift my right leg without agony, why cant I get into the shower without agony?,why cant I put my right sock on? You get the idea(grin).Anyway I will let you know.

Thanks to everyone for your help!!!
I would be willing to wager that the problem with reluctant doctors is not related to age or medical condition but your record having been flagged by some clerk in the insurance company that indicates a doctor would have to fight to get it approved. Spending hours fighting with a high school grad clerk in an insurance company about getting a procedure paid for is not what most doctors have the tme for. Since you have a new system maybe either the word has not gotten out or a new clerk is overseeing your account.
I surmise this from talking to doctors who complain of interferrence on a daily basis.
Good luck, you deseve to have someone take your pain seriously.

As a related note, after I started taking anti-imflamatories last month most days are pain free for the first time in 5-6 years. I skip them often to give my stomach a fighting chance but the residual effects seem to last for days. So far so good, I might even postpone my THR until later in the spring so I can avoid the icy sidewalks that will be tough for crutches. I wonder if they make mud and snow, studded end caps for crutches like everyone here uses on their car tires? We been lucky, hardly any rain, snow or ice so far this winter and only after Jan 1st did the temps drop to semi-winter numbers(-16C)

Stan
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom