Guest viewing is limited

THR Hurray I'm home but....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had the nerve to feel sorry for myself this morning. I felt better after I got dressed, fixed my hair, and put on a bra. Lol
 
@mlsread I had the exact same experience. When I woke up I was so stiff.
But did the stretching exercises my PT told me to do. Showered and realized now I can reach down and wash and dry my lower leg and feet.
Dressed, and as I was walking, realized I was pain free. Life is good.

A few months ago, when I was suffering from surgery pain, I actually thought my life was over. And I'm a pretty positive person. [emoji4]
 
I'm so desperate to fill my time..... Can you tell
Just think of it as a short space of time to recover well. Then a lifetime of pain free living. You only have one chance to get this right. Patience is prescribed!
 
Just had my left hip replaced and I found a body pillow to be too high for me. I am sleeping with four pillows; one for my head that supports side or back sleeping. One on my left side that prevents me from rolling onto that side, one under my knees and calfs to support me when sleeping on my back, and the final one is a tiny hospital type pillow that I lay on top of my hip. This gives it some protection, something for me to hug or slip between my knees if I move onto my right side. I liken it to a nest under the covers. Good luck and hope you get some sleep soon!


Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:
It's perfectly natural to go through a rollercoaster of emotion. Lots to do with frustration and boredom amongst other things. Honestly we have all felt it, often in the small hours if we're not sleeping too well and first thing when the stiffness has set in overnight, but as you say once you're up and moving about and distracted with other things we can lighten up. We all longed to be 'normal' and believe me it will come. Just be kind to your body and patient, keep the faith in the BS mantras and you'll get there.
 
For goodness sake....I was really proud of the fact I ventured outside today and walked quite a way for the first time! I then got excited as I managed a nap on the bed! So tonight thought I might be able to actually go to bed for the first time since coming out of hospital. Nope lasted 15 minutes before screaming in agony as I can't keep my leg straight even with pillows without pain in my buttock and leg. So back downstairs in the chair and facing a long night without sleep.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
 
In most cases this feeling will just disappear. Your pelvis is probably tilted as you compensated for that sore hip. When things balance back this feeling will decrease.

Do be sure and buy new shoes. Wearing shoes that you wore pre-op means you are walking with an old wearing pattern. Good excuse to go shopping when you are ready!

Hello, I'm Clare LTHR on December 15th , so into Week 8 .Thanks for the tip about the shoes - I've been mainly barefoot in the house or wearing Birkies, but didn't think about the wear pattern in shoes!


Sent from my iPad
 
Last edited by a moderator:
For goodness sake....I was really proud of the fact I ventured outside today and walked quite a way for the first time! I then got excited as I managed a nap on the bed! So tonight thought I might be able to actually go to bed for the first time since coming out of hospital. Nope lasted 15 minutes before screaming in agony as I can't keep my leg straight even with pillows without pain in my buttock and leg. So back downstairs in the chair and facing a long night without sleep.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Aw, I got that the first week after I came out because I had to keep getting up for the loo- and then my 'good' leg got that restless syndrome. it's just so exhausting . It's ok now eight weeks on . I hope you do manage to get some sleep.
 
I find that sleeping in the recliner is easier for me. I wake up a few times a night anyways, some for bathroom trips and others just a wake up. I find that it is easier to get up than from bed plus it provides some upper body support since I have never liked sleeping flat on my back. The other thing with the recliner is that I cannot turn on either side so I do not worry that I might turn on my right side and flop my leg over midline if I really am heavily asleep or medicated and this position just does not allow me to turn so I relax almost more than in bed.
 
@leeja you are right it does feel more supported. I've just done 2hrs in bed... That's my limit it seems and now really sore again so back in the armchair. I just wish mine was a recliner so I could elevate my feet a little. Sound like a right moaning Minnie but I don't do well without sleep lol! [emoji26]

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
 
Can you buy a recliner - I think someone on here said they found one used or on something like a craig's list where people put things up for sale. I do not know what they have in England. No problem with moaning-it is not moaning on here as we all share our feelings and let them out - it helps. Recovery is frustrating at times and lack of sleep is no fun.
 
@Lotty78 and @leejaa yes, that was me that found a nice electric recliner at the Hospice thrift shop. I purchased it for $100 and to my good fortune it turned out to be a electric lift recliner. it is very comfortable and I only hope it will aide me in a few hours of sleep after my surgery.
 
So update having visited physio today. He confirmed what I had guessed I basically need to learn to walk again. He said that all the years of compensating for a hip that was obviously never right, a misaligned pelvis etc have basically led to no real muscles/strength in the right side and so in order to best use my new hip I have to go right back to basics. Got a feeling this is gonna be a long old route. Feel like I have run a marathon but only on one leg (so hopped it I guess [emoji16]). I'm wondering if there are others with a similar story to mine and whether it is a generation thing or I just got unlucky? Born with hip dysplasia of both hips corrected as a 6 month old in a spicta cast , parents told all sorted now (oh and we had to sever her abductors on the right side) , bye bye she'll be fine! Cue years of discomfort, dodgy gait, misaligned pelvis, SPD in both pregnancies and eventual osteoarthritis all by the age of 36! I understand now that hip dysplasia patients are monitored to at least bone maturity. If anyone knows anyone I'd love to talk to them.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
 
Oh wow! Sounds like you had to suffer through a lot! Sorry. :(
Sounds like you have a good plan of action to help you learn to walk again. I hope it all goes well for you. :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom