Guest viewing is limited

How long to hold out?

Thanks for the clarification Jamie - I searched bonesmart and found a number of threads on CBD that I will read through.
 
@Joeml430 CBD oil without THC is legal in my state. I tried some from a local organic farmer I know who participates in the research for growing different varieties. His is the strongest concentration on the market, per friend’s in NYC, and it does nothing for my hip pain.
In my experience, anything taken orally for hip pain only gave short-term relief, because as I moved a bit more, I was still grinding away. I was told by an arthroscopic doctor, that the bits of torn cartilage actually encourage more degradation within the hip, and at a certain point there is nothing that can be done except rest periods, and eventual surgery.
 
Thanks for the advice Yorkiegs1! I too had cortisone shot with limited effect. One confounding problem is I also have lower back pain which an MRI indicated was L5/s1 stenosis. So not sure if all the pain is hip-related?

I read on this forum about upper buttock pain can be caused by hip arthritis.. This is the first I heard of this possibility - as I had previously assumed it was due to my lower back.

Did you have any back pain associated with your hips? Is that common?

Thanks

Hi Joeml430
No I did not have any back issues. I’m told others have stiffness when sitting or after sleep so I’m hoping this is normal and will go away in time. I’m four months post op do I have more healing time to go. Was told it takes 6 months to a year to get back to 100%.
In my case time will tell.
Thank you!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Pain on mounting a bike is gone. Pain is gone period. Think about what you used to be able to do and what is no longer possible. There aren't meds that would cure an OA hip and for some CBD oil and Medical Marijuana are shots in the dark. MM has been legal here for years and docs can prescribe it but don't for OA. I asked a year ago.
The longer you wait the more your muscles waste; at least the ones you cannot use well due to limited range of motion. Don't expect those to bounce back right away. Mounting a bike is still not easy for me though getting better every time.
Supplements that claim to repair cartilage can't if the cartilage is gone. You can't fix something that is not there.
Second hip I will not hesitate on when it degrades ( surgeon said there was time) and I am aware it can go fast. This surgery is not easy but its way easier recovery than life with OA.
 
Thank you Mainegirl1 - psychologically that is exactly where I am at right now! I can use meds to mask the pain, but it always comes back. Right now I basically move from chair to chair during my normal work day. X-rays and personal experience suggest both hips need to go. I meet with a non-surgical Ortho specialist tomorrow - looking for confirmation that my lower back pain is not due to a herniated disc, but originates from the hips. If I can get that assurance, then I won't go down a back treatment rabbit hole and possibly save 3 to 4 months.
 
Of course the more information you gather the better decision you will make. I had low back spasms when walking. Mostly on the right side. Now that the right hip is fixed they are POOF GONE! Hope that is the same outcome you will have.

I think all of us see sawed for a time before taking the surgical plunge.

dem bones them bones dem dry bones.. they are all connected...
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom