How did you guys ice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used gel packs and found them very effective. They cooled my knee much more than the machine that was used on it in hospital. I used two packs at a time, one at the front and one at the back of my knee, and I always had spare packs in the freezer. I always wrapped them in a small towel, to protect my skin.
 
Here's the link to the brand I have. I love it!

https://www.amazon.com/Polar-Iceman3-Digital-Therapy-Universal/dp/B00O13MTL0/?tag=ate362da-20

I used ice packs for my TKR two years ago, and this time am using an electric ice machine. It's a ton better than ice packs. Ice packs need constant changing while this machine runs all night long and is still cold in the morning. I had made some really nice ice packs and covers before the surgery and haven't used them at all as I really prefer the machine. Plus the temperature is not erratic-it's basically nicely cold all the time whereas ice packs start out too cold and quickly get warm. I bought a case of water bottles at WalMart and put them all in the freezer-I just rotate them when they melt. My machine holds 4 at a time, plus water to the fill line, so I recommend having 12 minimum in your freezer. At first my helpers carried everything for me, but I could put the bottles in my walker bag to carry them back and forth when I was alone. Later I just put the used ones in a towel, then carried them to my freezer, and switched. Carrying them in a towel dries them from being in water before switching with frozen ones. The machine I have makes very little noise, and can run for hours before needing to change bottles. I do recommend removing all the labels from the bottles, even the plastic type labels as they will leave particles behind and that can get into the lines. I also change the water and rinse the machine every other day at least.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] How did you guys ice?
    ice machine.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 382
Last edited by a moderator:
My gel packs stayed frozen for about 3 hours. i liked that they became malleable after they had thawed a bit, so that I could mould them to the shape of my knees. I used to go to sleep at night with frozen gel packs on my knee and change them for new frozen ones when I woke in the night. I kept a couple of frozen spares in a cooler beside my bed, so that I didn't have to go far to replace the thawed ones.
 
If someone already posted this, I apologize, but here was my trick from my 1st TKR (and it's inexpensive). Take rubbing alcohol and pour it in a gallon size ziploc bag, then fill the same bottle with water twice and pour that in the ziploc bag. Put the first bag inside a second bag just in case it leaks. Then freeze (it takes a while) but the end result is a firm, slushy ice pack that you can mold around your knee. I used 3, rotating them - oh and ALWAYS use a towel between your skin and the ice pack.
 
@Suz I have the Ossur Cold Rush and I love it. It's whisper quiet, does the job well, and I just use 4 16oz frozen water bottles. I do put a tea towel between the pad and my skin.

Prior to surgery a friend lent me a Donjoy iceman clear3, and it was annoyingly loud and underwhelming in terms of cold output.

I also made homemade water/alcohol ice packs in gallon zip lock freezer bags which I double bagged. My niece made me double sided pouches to put the ice packs in - one side is fleece, and the other is flannel. This was a brilliant idea from @lovetocookandsew, and it works beautifully. The ice packs are much colder than the ice therapy machine, and I found that much more soothing for the nerve zingers. The other advantage of the ice pack for me is that I can just sort of lay it on my leg. The ice therapy machine I have to run the strap under my thigh to hold the pad in place. Invariably I will need to go to the bathroom a few minutes after getting settled, and have to extricate myself from the pad and the strap before I can get up, and then get it all put comfortably back in place again afterwards. It's worth it though, as the machine stays cold for hours.
 
Strange that @CaliGirl had problems with the ice machine I love........ Mine makes almost no noise and is really plenty cold, but not frozen like an ice pack. I do use a cloth between the pad and my skin also. If I need to use the restroom, etc, I just d/c at the hose connectors and am free to move around, then re-connect when I'm ready. Everyone has different experiences and likes, and my experience with the iceman has been wonderful.
 
Hi Josephine, thanks for doing that article. And Cali girl, what a great niece! I realize now that we are supposed to include such questions in our initial preop thread, as opposed to starting a new subject matter thread. If a moderator would want to move all these answers to the general thread about icing, or to my preop thread, please go ahead and do so! And my apologies for starting a second thread in Preop.

I did call my OS yesterday and they provide an ice machine. I will have to be driven a couple hours after being released from the hospital, to where I can catch the ferry or the airplane back to my home on an island. So I am going to supplement with some gel packs I am purchasing. The lady who will drive me, and said she'll bring the freezer along filled with ice to keep the Gel packs cool. I think I'll also suggest a bucket just in case....
 
I'm glad to hear your insurance covers the machine-mine did too or I would have bought one myself. Ugh-your ride home sounds grueling after such a major surgery. I can't imagine doing that...I had a difficult ride home in my nice SUV and it was only 10 minutes! A couple of hours, then a boat or plane? I think I'd have to make sure to take my pain meds right before, load up the car with a bucket, wet cloths in baggies, pillows to lie back on and elevate my knee with, ice packs and some water to drink. I think I'd opt for the ferry if your friend can just drive onto it and take you all the way home.
 
@greatlakes multiple threads in the pre-op forum are fine. I know I started quite a few myself, every time a new question or concern popped into my head. It's the recovery forum where a single thread for all of your recovery issues and questions is important, so the moderators can clearly see your history.
 
Got it, thanks, CaliGirl! And love to cook, good advice, thanks. I'm also keeping the option open of staying in a hotel on the mainland for a night if the ride from the hospital does me in. My friend who is driving me would get me set up overnight. I did ask my OS if the drive and ferry would kill me to do it and he said go ahead, but if it is too much, I'll spend a little money and do it in two parts.
 
There was someone on bone smart who stayed in a hotel for a few days because she has so many steps to climb into her apartment. It seemed to work well for her.
 
I realize now that we are supposed to include such questions in our initial preop thread, as opposed to starting a new subject matter thread. If a moderator would want to move all these answers to the general thread about icing, or to my preop thread, please go ahead and do so! And my apologies for starting a second thread in Preop.
It's OK to have more than one thread in Pre-op. When you get to the recovery side, we do like you to keep everything about your recovery in one thread. That way, your thread acts as a sort of diary and if you need help the staff can read back in your thread and get an idea of your history, without having to flit from thread to thread.
 
My hospital sent me home with the ice machine that I was using when I was there. I used that machine 24/7 when I was home. The proplem with the machine in the beginning you need someone to get the ice bags to fill the cooler. Between ice, meds and elavation I had a easy recovery.
 
I use the Don Joy Iceman. I freeze water bottles (4) for it that last a good 6 - 8 hours. I do like that the best and it is very easy to sleep with.
 
I do the same with my CryoCuff. I freeze six .5l bottles and use three at a time in the machine. That way, I can rotate the bottles and always have fresh frozen. If you think six won't be enough, just freeze nine. Guaranteed to be all you need.


Jean

RTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 June 2016 LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006 Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
I came home from hospital with the wrap around ice packs supplied by them. This was new compared to my previous RTKR experience when I only knew about peas :groan:

The wrap is my best friend for three reasons; there's always a spare pair of packs in the freezer, it can be taken anywhere to be frozen before the return journey too and I can get them myself as well as being dependent on the Iceman :giggle:

A friend loaned me an ice machine (cuff attached to tube attached to large blue cylinder). The higher the cylinder, the tighter the cuff and a swish of the cylinder would make the cuff colder. This was great for the first week when I was less mobile and the Iceman liked to feel extra useful (playing with another gadget?) but not so much once I was up and about. I was glad I didn't pay out for one but it was beneficial initially.

I hope this helps:reading::ice: with choices for you
 
My surgeon provided me an Iceman. Love it!

It lives next to my bed. I put four 12 oz bottles of frozen water in it, and then filled it up with cold water. Once I did it the first time, now all I must do is periodically swap out the four bottles of melted ice for fresh frozen ones from the freezer. No need to empty the water or refill. Super easy, even though I am alone caring for myself.

Also, the Iceman pad provides compression, and that really helps, too.

Ben
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom