Hospital Bed

brucerit

junior member
Joined
Jun 8, 2019
Messages
33
Age
85
Gender
Male
Country
United States United States
I am considering renting a hospital bed, is that a good idea?
 
Depends! Do you have other disabilities? If not, a powered recliner chair is great. If that's not possible I know people use their sofa or lounge chairs. It doesn't matter as long as you are comfortable and can get yourself up easily.

Do some practice with what you have. Imagine a knee that doesn't bend too readily, is sore and can't help you to stand.

You need to walk and gradually get your life back!
 
A lot of the companies send horrible beds. We had one good one once. Recliner was worst for me and us best for some. Lots of insomnia for ten weeks. Better now at thirteen weeks out on my double knee replacements. Slept only on back since neither side was good at night. Recliner just was bad for me. Have to try things out. You can rent for week from some companies.
 
I bought a 4 inch mattress topper and was very comfortable in my own bed. I don’t sleep on my back, but the topper made my leg comfortable, there was a lot of softness under my knee. Just a thought
 
Depends! Do you have other disabilities? If not, a powered recliner chair is great. If that's not possible I know people use their sofa or lounge chairs. It doesn't matter as long as you are comfortable and can get yourself up easily.

Do some practice with what you have. Imagine a knee that doesn't bend too readily, is sore and can't help you to stand.

You need to walk and gradually get your life back!
Thank you "rosieNZ", what can I use to get my toes above my nose while lying in bed?
 
I elevated on my bed for the first couple of weeks because my couch is too low and my recliner is a rocker. I used a system of pillows. After a while I could elevate in my recliner but I added a pillow along the length of the leg to get a bit more elevation.
I could always sleep in bed.

I would add that though my bedroom served as my "nest" for the first couple of weeks, I always went out to the kitchen for meals and did get showered and dressed every day. It wasn't like I was bedridden.
 
A lot of the companies send horrible beds. We had one good one once. Recliner was worst for me and us best for some. Lots of insomnia for ten weeks. Better now at thirteen weeks out on my double knee replacements. Slept only on back since neither side was good at night. Recliner just was bad for me. Have to try things out. You can rent for week from some companies.
Thank you "Tmgrl3", I think I am going to abandon the idea of getting a hospital bed, and purchase a couple of foam wedges for elevation.
 
Depends! Do you have other disabilities? If not, a powered recliner chair is great. If that's not possible I know people use their sofa or lounge chairs. It doesn't matter as long as you are comfortable and can get yourself up easily.

Do some practice with what you have. Imagine a knee that doesn't bend too readily, is sore and can't help you to stand.

You need to walk and gradually get your life back!
Here is our recommendation for elevation:
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/elevation-the-dos-and-donts.7602/

Many members like the Lounge Doctor, which you can get on Amazon.

My hospital actually sent me home with a very nice foam wedge for elevating. I don’t know of any other members getting one from the hospital like I did.
 
Here is our recommendation for elevation:
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/elevation-the-dos-and-donts.7602/

Many members like the Lounge Doctor, which you can get on Amazon.

My hospital actually sent me home with a very nice foam wedge for elevating. I don’t know of any other members getting one from the hospital like I did.
Jockette, I took your advice and went to Amazon and ordered a Lounge Doctor. I also have a baby blue bed pan coming. Thanks.
 
I elevated on my bed for the first couple of weeks because my couch is too low and my recliner is a rocker. I used a system of pillows. After a while I could elevate in my recliner but I added a pillow along the length of the leg to get a bit more elevation.
I could always sleep in bed.

I would add that though my bedroom served as my "nest" for the first couple of weeks, I always went out to the kitchen for meals and did get showered and dressed every day. It wasn't like I was bedridden.
"kneeper, I know exactly what your saying about wanting to be among the living, and not taking a shower everyday is a no-no!
 
I also have a baby blue bed pan coming. Thanks.
I don’t think you will need this, the walk to the bathroom will be good, gentle exercise for you. You won’t need to stay in bed all the time.
 
@brucerit , you're not going to be bedridden. You won't need a bedpan. Don't inflict emptying one of those on your nearest and dearest. :yikes:

You will be walking to and from the bathroom before you're discharged from hospital. You'll also be shown how to negotiate stairs.

Walking gently around your house will be part of your physical rehabilitation, and you should also be up in a chair for part of the day.

People who live alone come home and manage at home without anyone else there.
 
@brucerit , you're not going to be bedridden. You won't need a bedpan. Don't inflict emptying one of those on your nearest and dearest. :yikes:

You will be walking to and from the bathroom before you're discharged from hospital. You'll also be shown how to negotiate stairs.

Walking gently around your house will be part of your physical rehabilitation, and you should also be up in a chair for part of the day.

People who live alone come home and manage at home without anyone else there.
Celle, I needed that positive message to be delivered by you. Everyone's positive messages have convinced me that I'm going to make it through this with flying colors. Thank you all.
 
@brucerit -- once you get over the first few weeks, you're gonna be wondering why you waited so long to have your knee done!!! It's WONDERFUL!!! I was told at 35 that I needed a TKR, but they wouldn't do it until I was 50. I was 54 when they did mine. Once I got over the "hump" and stopped needing painkillers, my knee improved daily!! I was helping a neighbor child do homework one day. He likes sitting on the porch, using the floor to write. And without thinking, I sat on the floor- INDIAN STYLE!!! I sat like that for 5 minutes before I realized what I was doing and how there was NO PAIN!!! You are gonna be amazed how well you will feel and how much you can do again!!!!!
 
You will do great, and IMHO, should send the bedpan back unopened! Here's an article you can read that will help you understand what you will be doing in the first few months, on a weekly basis. You'll notice it starts with smaller amounts of activities, which gradually increase with time. It was my favorite article and I read it every day to remind me not to do too much, or too little, at any given point in my recovery. You'll get it again with some other wonderful articles when you're on the other side, but it doesn't hurt to read it multiple times.
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/activity-progression-for-tkrs.14334/
 
@brucerit -- once you get over the first few weeks, you're gonna be wondering why you waited so long to have your knee done!!! It's WONDERFUL!!! I was told at 35 that I needed a TKR, but they wouldn't do it until I was 50. I was 54 when they did mine. Once I got over the "hump" and stopped needing painkillers, my knee improved daily!! I was helping a neighbor child do homework one day. He likes sitting on the porch, using the floor to write. And without thinking, I sat on the floor- INDIAN STYLE!!! I sat like that for 5 minutes before I realized what I was doing and how there was NO PAIN!!! You are gonna be amazed how well you will feel and how much you can do again!!!!!
ArmyVet, you don't know what your words of encouragement mean to me. I have loved to walk all of my life, and now that I can't, I miss it tremendously. Your positive thought's and attitude, make me believe I will be walking again. Thank you!
 
You will do great, and IMHO, should send the bedpan back unopened! Here's an article you can read that will help you understand what you will be doing in the first few months, on a weekly basis. You'll notice it starts with smaller amounts of activities, which gradually increase with time. It was my favorite article and I read it every day to remind me not to do too much, or too little, at any given point in my recovery. You'll get it again with some other wonderful articles when you're on the other side, but it doesn't hurt to read it multiple times.
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/activity-progression-for-tkrs.14334/
lovetocookandsew, I see why it is some of your favorite reading. I am printing it off. Thank you.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom