Horses after replacement?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All:

For those inquiring minds> I am back in the saddle after having bilateral knee replacement. My instructor has me mounting on a mounting block and helps me off so I don't pound my legs on the ground.

It hasn't hurt my knees at all to post and canter- my thigh muscles are another story. In fact after surgery my bowed legs are now straight and I can feel the sides of the horse better.

My instructor and friends are amazed and noticed that I am sitting up taller and riding better than before the surgery.

I attribute my success to my physical and occupational therapists-- DO ALL your exercises and then some. When they kicked me out of therapy, I joined a fitness center which had the same exercise equipment as PT, a pool, and a track (walking only, please). I am doing fine, I had to work at it but it can be done -- Life can return to normal-- there is hope.

Take care all.

Kirtana
 
Great to hear from you again! So glad to hear your success story. It is so wonderful to hear from people who have gone through it all and come out triumphantly on the "other side" and getting their life back to the way they want to live it. You are an inspiration to us all! Congratulations!
 
I miss riding horses. I am envious and pleased for you to be back in the saddle and doing so well. My thighs felt the pain just reading your post! I know you are so pleased to be making such amazing progress! Proud of you!
 
Kirtana, How wonderful for you! Everyday we hear of TKRs doing more and more and dispelling the old ways of thinking about what this surgery is and does for us. What a blessing to be in this time of advancement. Enjoy the ride.
 
I'm so glad I found this site! I am 5 months PO and am trying to get back in shape to return to the saddle. I am using my saddle on a rack and practicing getting my leg over--and am a little nervous because while sitting in the saddle doesn't cause any pain, getting my right leg (hip that was replaced) over is somewhat painful. Will practice make it easier? Love to hear how others have worked on that.
Sheila
PS--Aunt B, are you the same Aunt B that was on the Barbaro site?
 
Hi Shefilly48.
No, I've not been to the Barbaro site. And, I'm not going to be much help with hip replacement questions either since I had a TKR. The best advice I can give is to first (if you haven't already) consult with your PT for exercises to strengthen the muscles you'll use and ask when they think you can safely mount. Even if you're not a patient anymore they'll probably be glad to talk to you about it. Then purchase a 3 step mounting block - you can find them on line for around $100. You may not need it forever but it sure has saved me tons of muscle strain and my horse got used to it very quickly. And last, take things slow... you don't want to rush things and end up getting sore, or worse, tendonitis. And if it's ok with your surgeon, go for it.
English or western?
Aunt B
PS, Pattipoo posted a picture of my first ride @ 10 weeks PO. I haven't found it yet. If you see it, please ignore my form - I haven't ridden in 2 yrs due to knee pain (my horse has had a 2 year break too). I just wanted to see if I could mount and post. The goofy grin in the picture is due to NO PAIN!
 
It's on the last page of the top thread....here it is again!!
[Bonesmart.org] Horses after replacement?
 
I'm sooo looking forward to my visit to Georgia where I can get up on a horse again. There is a riding school about ½ a mile down the road from me but y'know, they're strangers and I would feel embarrassed for them to see me struggling my enormous bulk onto a horse! But Dana and Dirk are friends and I know they'll do their best to help me (and I hope I'll have lost at least a FEW pounds by then). Heck, knowing Dirk, (6' 6" cowboy and used to wrangling steers!) he would probably pick me up and PUT me on the horse anyway!

AuntB, your picture makes me long to be there!


I'm so glad I found this site! I am 5 months PO and am trying to get back in shape to return to the saddle. I am using my saddle on a rack and practicing getting my leg over--and am a little nervous because while sitting in the saddle doesn't cause any pain, getting my right leg (hip that was replaced) over is somewhat painful. Will practice make it easier? Love to hear how others have worked on that.
Sheila
PS--Aunt B, are you the same Aunt B that was on the Barbaro site?

Hi, shefilly! Lovely name! Welcome to BoneSmart.


 
Oh Aunt B, what a pretty pony. How many hands is he(?). I bet that smile is not just the lack of pain but also the joy of being in the saddle again.
 
You betcha - that grin is pure joy! Beau is about 15.1hh - he's half Arabian half quarter horse, 13 years old. I owned his mama and raised him from a pup. We both look better now as I'm able to ride 3-4 days a week. He's getting muscled up and giving to the bit and I think my form is getting better too. We're almost ready to hit the trail. (I don't know where his tail went in that picture - it is floor length and beautiful. We had some issues with a pasture mate chewing his mane, but it's growing back nicely.

But enough about Beau... What do yall do about those deep bone aches? Sometimes after a hard day (riding/working out/yard work) the ache in my knee will keep me awake. I've been off of the Tramadol for at least a month and hesitate to start up again, but Advil doesn't touch it. Heat helps, but it's hard to keep a heating pad wrapped around your knee all night. I guess the occasional Tramadol wouldn't hurt but I only have a few left, with no refills. Is it OK to ask for a refill 4 months out?

And, Thanks Pattipoo! I found it right after I posted that last message... I'm a little slow sometimes, but I usually get there.
-
 
I asked for a refill at 5 months and received it without question. I did ask for a lower dosage so I don't have to take so much at one time. You have nothing to lose by asking.
 
Aunt B:

What a beautiful photo! You look so happy and so does Beau. Two years is a long time to be in pain and out of the saddle. You can tell from the pix that you are thrilled to ride again especially on such a gorgeous horse.

Thank you for sharing your happy time with us.

Kirtana
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom