TKR Hoping For The best

@Spex10 You and I are chatting on two different threads at one time.

You are not a smug cow.But I have a feeling you have always been practical and pragmatic.I have seen your comments many times.

Since this is technically my thread I will write on.I have two sides to me.There is the side who is practical and sensible and who keeps her cool always and who spent a lot of time on her grandparents farm when I was younger.

Then there is the other side who loves makeup and magazines and fashion trends and reality shows like Project Runway.I am both those people.But I understand what you are saying.

I am grateful for my new knee and hoping I have a good outcome again.I was headed for a wheelchair and have had female relatives in the past in wheelchairs because of severe arthritis.I am very aware that they didn't have any options open to them.

So I will be fine with the cane and the scars etc but I have to look good doing it.:good-bad:
 
@Nigella2 loving the spunk and sense of humour coming through. I also see you are a fellow Canadian, I am from a farming community in Ontario.
 
@DLR .My sense of humour has helped me through some difficult times in life.

And you are right, I am a fellow Canadian and live in Mississauga,Ontario.

Thanks again for your very kind reply to my question earlier.
 
Awesome, I grew up in Mississauga (near QEW and Hurontario). I live in Elmira near Waterloo. Hoping you have a wonderful day. Thanks for inspiring me on my journey
 
Before I had my TKR I was concerned how much the scar would show. After all I went through then, since then with the revision, and now....I couldn't give a "rat's patootie " about if the scar shows! My goal is just to be pain free, able to walk somewhat normally, and enjoy my "rusty years"!!! :heehee:
 
I hope I am putting this in the right spot.I had my second TKR done 2 weeks ago and am due to get my staples out tomorrow and I am dreading this.Last time my incision was flat and dry and this time it is sore and puffing up through the staples.

Can anyone advise me on getting numbing agents or taking extra drugs or maybe taking up drinking?
:good-bad::) :-) (::angel:
 
Paracetamol and swearing got me through the staple removal! No getting away from that it's not a great way of spending 15 minutes. Look away and think 'this too shall pass' with all your might. Only one tiny expletive escaped my lips but the nurse said it was quite understandable. Have a nice treat to look forward to afterwards. A G&T in my case.
 
No numbing agents or special meds were offered btw.
 
Trust me no numbing agents were offered last time.But last time the incision was dry and flat.I think Nurse Ratchet was disappointed that she didn't get a reaction from me last time.:blackcloud:

I just sent someone to the Pharmacy a few minutes ago to pick up the expensive numbing cream.This time my incision is in rough shape.

I hope everything is going well for you.We are celebrating Thanksgiving today and I am very grateful for two new knees.:) :-) (:
 
Hmmm. Mine was red, puffy and raised. Some of the staples had become buried. I asked for steristrips after they were out as I was scared of bursting open! The nurse said I shouldn't worry about that but she did put them on. They turned into a bit of a problem too - I thought they'd never fall off.
You'll be fine. This time tomorrow it'll be over!
 
Thanks for helping to reassure me.You are right about it only being about 15 minutes.I have been in much worse pain for a longer period of time than that.

I was just getting a little queasy at the thought of some of them being dug out.I will go put it out of my mind and concentrate on eating Thanksgiving dinner.

Thanks again.:) :-) (:
 
@Jockette. If you have a moment could you change my signature to show my two knee replacements.

Jan 4 2018 . Right knee

Sept 24 2018. Left knee


:thankyou:
 
Sure, no problem. I’ll ask a moderator to do that for you. I don’t have that capability.
 
Are those staples out yet? Did it go OK? I've been worrying about it!
 
Thanks for thinking about me.It was pretty gruesome.They had to dig a couple out and they left 8 in for now because the incision is a little open on the bottom.

I got through it with only one little gasp of pain.I treated myself to a fancy coffee and cake afterwards to soothe myself.

How is everything going with you?Any new tricks?
 
Glad you weathered the staple hunt! Getting them out is never fun. But fancy coffee for the win! :happydance:
 
Not a fun experience obviously! Oh well it's all progress I suppose.
We're currently on holiday on the North West Coast (of Scotland). I just get going every day and use my stick as required. I find it helpful to just not think about it!
That said, I'm finding the hotel loo to be a very awkward height to manage!
 
I think I have confessed before just how much I love my toliet raiser with arms.

On my second day home after my first TKR I got it as a gift.Hands down best gift ever.I almost cried the first time I sat to pee with that seat on.

Spex I hope you are having a relaxing time on your holiday.I know what you mean about not thinking about it.I can't wait for the day my knees never cross my mind.

I know this sounds strange only 16 days in but I already know I am going to lose my Frankenstein lurch.Here's to only looking forward for both of us.:yes!:
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom