Revision TKR Hood1980’s Revision

The Dr put me on 1-2 dilaudids every four hours along with the Celebrex and 2 baby aspirin and that has gotten the pain under control. He said I could try going back to alternating with 1 Tramadol, 2 Tylenol, 1 Benadryl if I wanted to. I am just used to a dr telling me what I should be taking. I think I will try alternating again tomorrow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How are you feeling today?

Much better! Thank you @kneeper! I got my staples out today. Boy did I get myself worked up over that! Thank goodness it wasn't that bad...just a little pinching. Happy to report my knee is a lot less swollen today. More proof that having the right pain meds while icing and elevating was just what I needed.

Icing and elevating are a HUGE part of this. I am at 10 weeks post-op and still doing that, although the pain levels are much less; mostly I deal with stiffness now. To keep your ice machine water cold, try freezing several small bottles of water (in plastic bottles) and put those in the water tank. I did this and they seemed to last longer than ice cubes floating in the water.

The bruising is scary to see, that's for sure. My leg from mid-thigh down looked like it had been on the losing end of a bar fight for a couple of weeks. IT does gradually go away, which should please you. ;)

I also froze Cool Whip type tubs and large plastic glasses. They last a really long time. The ice cubes, not so much. Before doing this I was buying #10 bags, which were 2 a day. That got really expensive, not to mention inconvenient.

Tomorrow is my first out patient PT and of course I'm dreading it. I came by BS to re-read the info on PT. I know the therapist that I am going to and went through PT with him earlier this year when I injured my knee. Do I just talk to him at the beginning, insisting only on gentle therapy and massage or will they present a plan for my approval? The first appointment is an initial assessment, so I am not sure how much we will do.

It’s all right to set the terms of your therapy at the assessment. You’re interviewing them for the job, after all, not the other way around. You can choose to go somewhere else, I assume. Let the therapist know you want to work with him, and include your thoughts and limits.

Thanks @SusieShoes. I hadn't thought of it like that. I do want a good outcome, but I still don't feel my pain is being managed properly. I have severe pain doing knee extensions and knee slides so I don't do them.

I had the most wonderful experience at my first outpatient PT! It could not have gone better. Very gentle massage and exercises, followed by electrical stimulation and last icing and elevation. I left there feeling the best I have since before surgery!

I'm so glad that PT went well.

Great news on a good therapy meeting! Make sure you make him stay nice and gentle!

Had my 4 week post op today with my OS. His only complaint is that I am only at 80 degrees and he wants me to go back on the prescription pain pills (Dilaudid) at least one hour before PT and to really push it. My gentle PT has not yielded anything for me. I was at 83 when discharged from the hospital. I need “aggressive” PT to get to at least 90 degrees by the time I go back to my OS in 4 weeks or he will have to do an MUA to break up the scar tissue. Trying to search now to read other bone smarties experiences with MUA.

Aggressive PT is counter productive. Your infant knee is less than a month old and the swelling is keeping back the bend. PT will cause it to swell more and lose more ROM. Please listen to us who have been through this surgery and recovery. All your baby needs is your daily activities. I've had 11 knee surgeries and never took PT, just used my knee the way God made it to be used!

Thank you @sistersinhim. That is what I think too. I’ve been in the low 80s since the first time I was measured when conscious in the hospital and the swelling has gone down a lot with no increase in bend. The joint is too tight to bend. [emoji22]

You might not see much swelling on the outside, but the inside capsule is still swollen. You can tell that by the stiffness you're having. Continue to elevate, ice and just do your daily activities for the next few weeks and that swelling inside will go down some and the bend will increase.

Many of us never took formal PT or did exercises. I am one of them. I had 11 knee surgeries, 2 of them kneecap removals and 1 tkr. Even after those I never took PT. But, I didn't just sit around and do nothing. I took care of myself, my house and yard as my knee allowed me to do. As I healed, I did more. But, my knee was always in control! This was enough therapy for me and would be for any tkr patient. All the awful pain of PT is so unnecessary.

All you have to do is use it in your daily living! Your knee knows how to rehab itself and doesn't need anyone telling it how. Just use it and it will come back like new! You have to be patient, though, it doesn't happen quickly! ADL,(activities of daily living), going to the bathroom, brushing your teeth and bathing, fixing a light meal, getting something to drink and or a snack, those kinds of things will be all the exercise your knee needs. If you just use it daily in your living, you will have a quicker and less painful recovery. We know what works, we've been there!

Oh Hood I am so sorry you are in so much pain. I hope they get you something soon. I'm a person who doesn't do pain meds well either. I had a bad reaction to Tramadol as well....working it all out. Hang in there.

Thank you both @sistersinhim and @amymj. Having your support here on the forum does wonders for me. I appreciate you being here for me! Yes, the pain meds are awful! I’m coping pretty well now with 600 mg of ibuprofen 4 times/day.

Can you take Tylenol? It is a much better pain reliever for after surgery. You can take 1000mg every 6 hours. But, you have to add in anything else that has Tylenol in it so you don't over dose.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dcytpoti
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom