TKR Home yesterday and feeling good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, Dianna, that is really disconcerting that your doc will not give you a refill on the percocet. That is one of my fears, that when I run out that is it. My doc told me in the hospital that I can quit taking them whenever I want to and that I can start driving then. :scratch: I just got a rpkr? drive whenever I want? I go back for my check up on Tuesday so I will find out if I get any more Percocet or if I am done and have to tough it out.

Hang in there!!!
 
Dianna and BJ -- hope that you both get the pain meds problem worked out with your OS. I'm 3 weeks & 4 days post op. My OS is one of the ones that know the importance of pain meds until you get better.

Everyone has give such good advice, tips, encouragement. Resting is DEFINITELY more important than doing things around the house. Things will not "fall apart" if all of the usual chores don't get done. I have no idea when our energy levels go back up, but that will have to wait too. Having a husband (spouse or friend) who helps out and cooks is definitely a blessing.

Take care -- both of you -- and rest LOTS with ice, elevation of leg/knee, and pain meds. Naps are wonderful.
 
Dianna and BJ -- hope that you both get the pain meds problem worked out with your OS. I'm 3 weeks & 4 days post op. My OS is one of the ones that know the importance of pain meds until you get better.

Everyone has give such good advice, tips, encouragement. Resting is DEFINITELY more important than doing things around the house. Things will not "fall apart" if all of the usual chores don't get done. I have no idea when our energy levels go back up, but that will have to wait too. Having a husband (spouse or friend) who helps out and cooks is definitely a blessing.

Take care -- both of you -- and rest LOTS with ice, elevation of leg/knee, and pain meds. Naps are wonderful.

Becky- you are exactly right! Best advice ever!:yes 4:
 
Yesterday was an amazing day, my PT said I easily got to 96 and I even was able to ride my stationary bike for about 3 minutes, going backwards. I walked down and back on my driveway which is very long and steep. Ended up resting and icing several times during the day. Felt very good about my progress.
My doctor changed my pain meds to Hydrocodon-Acetaminophen which I switched to today. It seems to be keeping my pain in check. However, today was a fustration compared with yesterday.
I don't know how it happened but my lower back started giving me problems; so much so that it was difficult to walk with a cane. It was a bit easier after I went back to the walker but still difficult. Icing my back helped for a few minutes but that's it.
I don't normally have back problems so I don't know what caused it or how to cure it.
 
Dianna, your lower back pain is probably coming from a change in how you are walking now that you have a new knee. The muscles, tendons, and ligaments are being used differently than before. The body, just like the mind, resists change. I would try moist heat on the back to help relax the muscles.

Other than this, it sounds as if you are doing nicely--but it is early and your knee has undergone major trauma--so take it easy and do not do any PT that is painful--mildly uncomfortable---but not painful. There's a long road ahead, and its slow and easy that gets you to the end.

Take care of yourself and keep us posted. We care.
 
A note on pain meds. I was fortunate to have discovered this site before surgery. So I knew about the BoneSmart mantra re meds on schedule; I set my alarm clock! I also read the bit about your body forgetting to take the pills when it was ready. I was skeptical, but good grief! That exactly what happened!!!!
Within two days, I was no longer taking the I did have a bit of withdrawal ... but I also knew what it was, again thanks to this site.

Follow the advice you see here, even if everyone (and every knee) heals differently.
 
On your lower back pain. You may have some Arthrightis there. But anyway if your sitting alot or stressing by bending you make back pain.
Lay flat on your back as much as you can and not in a recliner or chair this will help alot. Take it from someone who just saw back surgeons this past winter.
 
It sounds like you're making good progress, Dianna. I bet it felt good to get outside and walk down the driveway. I wouldn't be surprised if the back could be due to your muscles being a bit thrown off by the recovery process. Moist heat or a heating pad might help.
 
Dianna,
I'm assuming that the back pain and pain down the leg is from the muscles adjusting to the new knee and the adjusted way of walking -- and getting up and down from a seated position -- particularly from the toilet and getting up first thing in the mornings. My knee and leg are usually feeling a bit stiff when i first get up. Then it limbers up better. My back bothers me sometimes, but should improve with physical therapy and walking more.

Hope that we all feel better soon. Take care and rest when you need to do so.
 
Dianna, Hi! Being the daughter, granddaughter and great granddaughter of Chiropractors, I recommend that you see your Chiropractor. As we shift and adjust to doing things differently we can throw things into a bit of disarray. It never hurts to check it out.

I have been to my Chiropractor twice since surgery. It sure helps. And ice always seems to help too!
 
Hey Dianna, is your back feeling any better today? How are you doing with your new pain meds? Do they still seem to be doing the trick? Well I hope that things are going well for you and that you have a great sleep tonight.:friends: Hang in there friend!
 
Thank you for your posts. My knee is fine but my lower back is still giving me fits. The pain in my back prevents me from doing a lot of walking which really troubles me.
My knee pain is under control with one Vicoden about every six to eight hours. Sleeping is no problem at all. I sleep solidly for sever plus hours a night!
Today is my first appointment at the out patient P.T. My husband wants me to get an appointment with my regular doctor to see about my back.
I tired moist heat which worked great the firstvfew times but now doesn't help. I tried laying flat instead of sitting up when I ice my knee but that drives me crazy because I can't do anything but lie there.
Other than my lower back I'm going GREAT!
 
Dianna,
Hope that your back gets better soon.

I mainly have trouble with my back at night -- when I'm lying flat on my back. So my hubby fixed up the bed with 3 pillows. The main problem that I have now is in getting them adjusted so that my lower back has support -- along with the rest of my back, neck, and head. Once I get that right, it's better. Sometimes the "correct" position for the pillows changes from night to night though.

I sit on the recliner when I'm icing my knee. It would "drive me crazy" if I tried icing it while lying down with nothing to do. It's only when I'm really tired that I lie down on the bed to rest and/or take a nap. That's one thing that I've noticed "on the other side". I REALLY begin to look forward to going to bed when it gets past 8:00 in the evening -- regardless of how long it takes me to get comfortable and go to sleep.

It might be good to make an appt with your regular doctor. Liam and I usually go to our chiropractor (who helps with things like that). I've been skipping it for the past couple of months, but I think I'll go with Liam the next time. As long as he doesn't do anything with my right leg, I'll be fine. Chiropractors are good at avoiding surgical areas that are recuperating, but it helps to remind them.

Take care.:flowerysmile::choc:
 
Becky, Thank you for your reply! Went to the PT yesterday and yes gave me some exercises for my lower back and applied tape to my lower back to give me extra support. Today I feel better and I think my back is on the mend. But just in case I made a appointment for Monday to see my regular Doctor.

I also look forward to bedtime around eight or nine o'clock, which is funny to me because I used to be a night owl and stayed up to midnight most nights. However, I am really enjoying the early mornings again.
We don't have a recliner but I have been thinking about getting one.

I am very happy with the way my knee is improving! I think I'm going to love this new knee!
 
Dianna, my hubby and I used to be night owls too -- before my surgery -- staying up until midnight or even 1:00. Of course we're retired, but there are many days that we have to get up "by the clock". So it's easier now.

The recliner has been fantastic -- particularly when we go out anywhere and I come back exhausted. I get in the recliner with the fleece blanket. I make sure that my right knee is NOT covered by the fleece blanket and ice it. Then I turn on the TV and snooze -- or just relax.

Hope that you have a beautiful Sunday.
 
I have been reading everyone's updates; which is always very helpful! I'm now at five weeks and can hardly believe how good I feel most of the time.

I started driving again yesterday and drove myself to my physical therapy session! I am so pleased that I was able to get back to some sort of normalcy. I only need Tramadol at bedtime but myknee still commands me to elevate and ice several times a day.

The only big challenge is my stamina is still at around 50% of normal. I'm sure that is due to the healing taking all my body's extra energy.

So far I am much better off than I was before my RTKR!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom