Revision TKR Hmm. Not thrilled with the revision yet

I sure wish someone had a magic solution!
 
I think with knees the magic solution is time. I'm a notoriously slow healer which doesn't help.

Planning on doing zippo, nadda, zilch this weekend & see if there is any change. I will contact the surgeons office on Monday.
 
Time has certainly helped me, I’m a lot better than I was that first year of recovery, but I still have limitations that I did not have before surgery.
 
Thanks everyone. I did wander outside in the backyard yesterday. It was so gorgeous I simply had to be in the sunshine. I walked around a tiny bit but didn't do anything.

It hit me last night that during the evening I'm not putting my heal on the coffee table & letting it be there to stretch out. I'm sitting with both feet on the floor. So I tried putting the heal on the table and it certainly wasn't comfortable, but I did it for about 20 minutes.

Before the last two revisions, during a lower leg doppler, I was told I needed to wear compression socks and just a full leg machine. Well.....that's hasn't happened. I've tried but the compression on this sore tired knee just doesn't work. Plus it warms up my knee then presto bingo more swelling. So I've not been doing any of that. I have no idea if I "should" attempt to use the machine now or not. It was prescribed my a Vein Specialist whom I only saw that one time.

Today I'm laying around being a slug. We'll see. These knees.......................they are troublesome.
 
Thought I'd bring you up on the latest & look for any advice. My surgeon feels I'm where I should be for the surgeries that have been preformed on this knee. Which is what I thought. However the heaviness and lower ankle swelling he felt it might be time for a vein doctor to look at again.

I've been to see a vein doc once - who prescribed a compression machine and to wear compression hose. That was two years ago and it did help - up until I had several more knee revisions. Since then its just too uncomfortable.

This time I went to a vein doc whom my PCP recommends. Bonus is its not far from the house. At that appointment then did the vein mapping again. I was impressed with how the office handled everything. Anyway with a lot of discussion and me being shown the deficits my lower legs have he recommends 4 procedures called ClosureFast. When I mentions being more conservative in our approach he was very receptive. He encouraged me to use the compression machine at least 2x's daily (it takes 48 minutes per time) and to wear full leg compression hose. He said that wouldn't totally help but it might. He of course felt having the 4 procedures was the best plan of action.

The next day I did wear thigh high compression hose. Admittedly my legs didn't feel as heavy, frankly they felt good. The next day I wore them again, except by midday my knee was uncomfortable so I took them off. That's when I found all sorts of new bruising in the knee cap area - I'm assuming when the compression is holding it down? I don't know. The next day I wore compression socks, up to my knee. By lunch time I was miserable & my knee was swollen HUGE. For the last two days I've made sure I've elevated the legs about 20 minutes a couple of times a day.

The thought of any procedures on this knee literally makes me ill. It's still swollen and bruised from surgery 14 months ago. Also you must wear compression hose 4 weeks after these procedures. I can't do it - it kills the knee. So that's the scoop. I can't do what the recovery of the procedure's entails. I can't bear the thought of any procedure on the legs. I'd not proceed with anything until I had a discussion with the knee surgeon either.

For now I'm not planning on doing anything. I'll elevate and use the compression machine, but that's really all my body can handle. Any other idea's? Suggestions? I feel like I'm not doing what my body needs, but I can't because my body doesn't like it. (I hope that makes sense.)
 
I really don't know what to suggest except if something is causing you pain and swelling then it's not good for you. I pray you find a solution.
 
Have you asked about cutting out the front of knee in the thigh high compression hose?
You can also ask about seeing a lymphatic therapist for your swelling.
I feel like I'm not doing what my body needs, but I can't because my body doesn't like it. (I hope that makes sense.)
Elevating and using the compression machine is all you can do right now, you are doing all you can.
Causing more swelling and bruising cannot be good for your knee or leg.
 
@eaglemom ... I'm so sorry to hear you're still struggling. How are you getting your support hose? Are they fitted by a specialist or the type that you purchase yourself in the drug store? It's possible that the size and/or compression on your knee-high hose are not correct for you. I suggest you speak with your vein doctor about this problem you're having wearing the hose.

We have a great partner, Ames-Walker, who has been in the business of supplying compression products (and the Lounge Doctor) for more than 20 years. They maintain a staff of experienced professionals who help people pick the right size and compression combination for their particular needs. You might want to give them a call and ask for assistance in obtaining the right hose for you.

Please let us know how things are going. We care about you!
 
Jamie thank you so much for the Amer-Walker suggestion. I'm going to call them tomorrow. Everything I have now was purchased at a medical supply place that did measure, etc. But I still don't think they "fit" properly.

I contacted the vein doctor and said I wasn't going to proceed with the procedures because I couldn't wear the compression hose. I explained again about my knee and she politely suggested that the procedure would help. I wasn't going to argue or pick a fight so I said once my knee surgeon approves me for the procedures then I'll consider it. Her response was oh. Then I wished her a very Merry Christmas and I'd be calling sometime in 2021!
 
Jamie I've meant to thank you for the Ames Walker reference. I've spoken with them several x's and ordered 3 different pairs. They've told me if the hose fit properly they "shouldn't" cause pain. We'll see. Now to wait for delivery!
 
Come one delivery of my hose. The last week my legs have really been bothersome. Last night I was up with the worst muscle cramps in my calf I've ever had. Not fun. We've had several dramatic weather changes and now its quite cold, for us in TX at least.

I've said it before, and clearly I've not listened to my own advise. I've GOT TO make my knee's my priority. The more I don't ice/elevate the more swollen and sore. I know better. I hope you all will hold me to it.
 
The more I don't ice/elevate the more swollen and sore. I know better.
I would think by now you must be really tired of icing! :console2: I know I certainly was by 6 months post op.
 
@eaglemom
I hope your Ames Walker compression sox arrive soon.
Wishing you a Happy New Year, and an easier time icing and elevating as tiresome as that has become.
 
I am thinking I have very defective legs! That would explain soooo much!

The Ames Walker hose arrived. I tried on the least compression ones, 15. I can get them on & over the legs, but what a workout! Anyway since they are pantyhose I'm pulling them all of the way up. Except the crotch of the hose isn't pulling up, if that makes sense. I did everything I could to no avail. Then I decided to put my jeans on thinking they would help move the crotch area to where it should be. That sort of helped, but not much. I put up with them that way most of the day, not comfortable but I'm trying. The next day they are a little bit better, but not correct.

I then tried the recommended 20-30 compression. I will say I've never in my life wrestled with something so difficult to put on. Then I got tickled and all I could do was giggle. After 40 minutes, yes 40 minutes and I've got them to my knees I gave up. Too tight and uncomfortable, much less I've not even gotten them totally on.

The next day I'm determined to get the third pair on. It was my mission! They were a struggle (which I know is part of being a compression hose) but I was going to make them work. Ever so slowly I achieved success - they were on and pulled up where they should be. However, my goodness they are tight. Very tight. My left knee started to get sore, however my poor still bruised right knee / leg were hurting. A significant hurt so I took them off. They were on around 5 hours.

My thoughts - my overall legs feel good once they are on. However, getting them on is a challenge. And after having them on I have new bruising on my knee. I'm just thinking this isn't working for me. My knee is still swollen so maybe that's part of the issue? But they are to help the circulation and swelling. I'm not sure what's next. Both legs are sore, that's for sure.
 
Both legs are sore, that's for sure.
I don’t know what to tell you. :console2: You have more perseverance than I would have, with these compression socks. I just don’t know how much help they can be if they make your sore legs feel worse. You probably feel done in, just by the time you get them on, let alone wear them for any length of time.
 
I absolutely give up on the compression panty hose. I can't try to make them work any more. Both knee's are bruised on the knee cap area from the compression. I have bruising on both sides on my knees from the compression. So, no more compression pantyhose.

I do have some thigh high ones I'll try again. I also have socks, the problem being they end at my knee and all that happens is my knee swells even more at the top of the socks.

I've said it before - my knee's are defective!! Or maybe I'm defective in knowing how to handle my knee's? Whichever it is I'd welcome any thought or comments. The compression hose even intensified the still bruising from surgery. Ugh.

Thanks everyone, happy healing.
 
Bless your heart. You have certainly been trying to get that swelling down. Have you tried doing nothing but icing and elevating? I know you have, but maybe try it for longer periods of time? I don't know of anything else that hasn't already been suggested to you.
 
I will readily admit that I'm probably my worst enemy. I've been forcing myself to put the leg up daily, but I know that's not good enough. I'm really going to lay low all weekend and see if that helps at all. Goofy knee is getting more bothersome as time goes on. Ugh.

Which brings me to a question. I can't wear the compression hose or even knee high socks. Too much pressure on the knee. I'm wondering if wearing compression short socks would do anything? I keep seeing advertising about them - I'd never even thought of compression short socks. Do you think its worth a try?
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom