THR Hipster48 in recovery

Maybe that’s part of my problem too. Been concentrating on walking straight up. The bright side is no hip pain! Thank you!

That IS a bright side. Lots of retraining muscles from those bad hips have caused me issues, but one by one they are all dissipating.
People who haven't seen me for a while notice how much taller I seemed and how smoothly I can walk now. :happydance:
Still early days...

Last edited:
@Hipster48 you will notice that I have merged your two threads together as we prefer that members in recovery only have one thread.

This is for three reasons:
1. if you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts others have left you in the old threads
2. it often ends up that information is unnecessarily repeated
3. it's best if we can keep all your recovery story in one place so it's easily accessed if we need to advise you.

Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread. I changed the title slightly. If you would like a new thread title just give a shout.

How soon did you move to your bed. It’s 2 weeks since surgery, saw Doctor today and said I could sleep on my side in bed with a pillow between my legs. I lasted 20 minutes, felt like to much pressure on leg. Now back on recliner.

How soon did you move to your bed.
I never used a recliner. But sleeping on the op side can take awhile. Just keep trying - always with that pillow between your knees.

Hi @Hipster48, I left hospital for home yesterday and have been sleeping in my own bed. A little interrupted, but that was mainly bathroom breaks or the cats checking me out.
I’ve been cleared to sleep on the non-operated side, but haven’t been up to trying.
Continued good recovery

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Good morning @Hipster48 - sleep is tricky. I alternated between bed and recliner at around the two week point (lift chair for first two weeks). As I moved to bed I would stay there for a bit (time got longer each night) and would move back to chair. I just slept where I could when I could and eventually it worked itself out.

I did the same, back and forth. Night walker for first months.
Naps were my saving grace...I gave up after two weeks of annoyance, and finally took the philosophy...sleep where I can, when I can, for as long as I can.
This too will pass...when is a hard question.
Hope today is a Good Day

I'm already planning to use the fact that new hip obviously weighs more than old hip for the Christmas weight gain. But then.......January......get it sorted.
I sleep with pillow under my knees and it seems to be much more comfortable. Last night I tried for the first time to lie on my un-operated side for a few minutes and seemed OK. Everything is a bit 'try it and see' Hope you get lower back pain sorted @Hipster48

My lower back on the recliner was a pain also. Just not a whole lot of comfortable to it at first.
Frustrating I know...but the under the knees thing does help some.
You are doing fine....as one can be after that serious trauma you endured.
You will be glad you did this...eventually!:console2:

Hi @Hipster48
Sorry for your back pain.
Wonder if you need some support under your lower back as you sleep?
Have you tried icing it at all....using those flatter gel packs?
I hope it eases so you get some quality rest.
To less pain and brighter days....

Hi @Hipster48 .
How's recovery treating you?
Hope you are full of turkey and rested better.
Just wanted to say hope all is easing some.

Just been thinking of you and hoping all had been getting better @Hipster48 .
Pop in and give us a Pre Christmas update. :tree: Hopefully sleep had gotten easier.

@Mojo333 Thank you for checking up on me. Going on 6 weeks soon. Go for my 6 week checkup next week. Because of holiday shopping I’m walking sometimes more than I think I should. I do go to PT but find I’m not doing the exercises daily, because I feel sore. Occasionally will take an Advil, but my hip pain is completely gone. My incision is a little irritated but I think because I’ve been wearing jeans and they are rubbing on it. Going to put a bandage on it today . Can’t wait until I get the okay to start working out to get in my cardio, because with the holiday sweets is making my belly grow!! Happy Holidays to you All!

Glad recovery is going well. Good luck at check up. Isn’t it great being pain free?!

The jeans aggravate mine still....
Yay for progress. Glad you are positive. Hope your weekend is wonderful.:roseshwr:

@Mojo333 Do you remember how you were doing at 6 weeks? Did you get sore when walking to much or standing to much?

Sure did. It was around month four that I would not notice that pried all those thigh muscles and tendons are whatever apart to get to my femur.
Causes trauma that needs time to heal. Ever had a pulled muscle...it can take weeks to rebound.
My quads and lats are still sore if I'm going all day.
Hips don't hurt though...:dancy:

I hope today is easy ...you know it is an up and down journey sometimes...healing hugs:friends:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back