TKR Hippietoo's recovery

I'm at 4 weeks post-op and doing well.

Here is a snapshot of my current condition;

1. I have been off of the walker, and on a cane for two weeks. I am able to walk without the cane, but I am not strong enough to do so without a limp.

2. I am sleeping through the night, but I cannot sleep in my bed. I sleep on the sofa because it just feels better there. I have tried laying on my side with a pillow between my legs, but I begin having pain within 30 minutes. I look forward to getting back to my bed, and sleeping on my side.

3. I am stiff as heck in the morning, but 10 minutes on the exercise bike loosens my knee up. I have added a slight amount of resistance and have not experienced any increased pain or swelling.

4. I ice and elevate 3 times a day for about 2.5 to 3 hours per session.

5. My outpatient Physical therapist has kept her promise not to ask me to do anything that hurts. If I get tired, she has no problem with me stopping the exercise. The routine is 8 minutes on the bike with zero resistance, followed by manual massage therapy for 10 minutes. The massage helped my bruising to disappear at less than 3 weeks. It also loosens up my tight quads and hamstrings.

After the massage we do a few heal slides, and calf stretches. We are just beginning to work on gait training.

6. The only thing that concerns me is that my foot tends to rotate outward as I walk. I concentrate on preventing this but so far it remains an issue. If anyone knows why this is happening please let me know your thoughts.
 
I found my foot also turned after surgery. I went to a store that caters to runners. They measured my feet, watched my gait, looked at my old shoes and suggested a couple of pairs of sneakers. The sneakers I purchased help to maintain that I am not walking on the side of my foot. It has helped me immensely. You might need some orthotics to help with regular shoes. I hope this info helps.
 
I'm post-op 4 weeks on Monday, and my foot is also turning out when I walk! I'm wondering if it's just an instinctual way to prevent pain?? I say this because when I make an effort to walk correctly, albeit slowly, heel... toe, I get pain in my knee, or sometimes shin splint like pains? Is this happening to you two, also?


11 July, 2016 LTKR
29 February, 2016 RTKR
 
I've had similar pain but it is slowly going away. I've now had some days when I don't feel it at all. It seems worse when my knee has swollen after a lot of activity.
 
I agree that turning the foot outward does relieve my pain. As I concentrate on keeping it straight it appears to be getting better. I've also found that as my strength improves my pain improves.
 
@hippietoo and @Nammy925 seems every time I look at these post there is something of interest I can relate to. Prior to surgery my left leg was slightly turned out when I walked and when I sleep it tends to be more comfortable to let it turn it self out somewhat also. P/T has been after me from the start to pay attention to my walk, I still find comfort when on my back to leave that leg turn out.
Is this wrong, I am the most comfortable this way, should I be working harder at correcting this while walking. My husband claimed the other day he thought it was getting worse. Not sure if I am doing it to prevent pain, or it's just a habit, way of walking prior to my surgery that carried over.
 
Hippietoo, I just read the post where you showered the day you got home. Any difficulties moving, reaching, getting up from your shower stool (if you used one) while wet and slippery? I think I'll put on my swim shoes to be extra careful not to slip. I have a barrier free shower, so figure that's a good start.
 
I didn't say it was easy:)

I was nervous about falling, but my wife helped me walk into the shower. I did have a shower chair, and it was adjusted to about as high as it could go. I have semi-rough stone tiles on the shower floor, so I wasn't worried about slipping.

Getting up from the chair was a bit difficult, but when one hasn't showered in three days, it isn't impossible.
 
At 7 weeks post-op I am pleased with my recovery. My OS said the X-rays were fine, and that my next visit should be in my one year anniversary. I measure 0 Extension, and 135 Flexion. I am walking without my cane, and have been doing so for the last three weeks.

I ride my exercise bike 20 minutes a day, and I found that to be the best way to relieve morning tightness.

I am still working on Quad, and Hamstring strength with my PT. I am strong enough to climb stairs in the normal fashion, but I can only climb about one flight before I feel muscle fatigue. I can walk on uneven surfaces without difficulty. Just this morning I mowed my lawn.

My foot continues to prefer an outward rotation, but I'm hoping that will improve.
 
Wow! You mowed the lawn! Wow.


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 9/20/2016
 
Back
Top Bottom