Guest viewing is limited

Revision THR Hip revision surgery 10/14/25

Happy One Month Anniversary!
I hope you're doing well. Let us know when you have time.
Enjoy the weekend! :SUNsmile:
@Woodbutcher
 
Happy Two Month Anniversary and Happy Holidays too.
Hope you're getting back to all that you love.
Take good care!
@Woodbutcher
 
Thank you Layla.
I would like to also thank you and the Bonesmart staff for helping to keep things in perspective not only for me but everyone that writes in. You certainly help to make sense out of things that after surgery seem absolutely whacko with calm,sane and informed advice.
I have stopped walking with a cane and am back in my shop doing projects that don’t stress my new hip, mostly working on the lathe. I stopped physical therapy because I thought they were getting too aggressive and I am making better progress on my own without the extra stress of not knowing what they were going to try next. I really didn’t realize how different a revision recovery is after the gamma nail removal than a first time hip replacement.
Thanks again to all and I wish you all happy and healthy holidays.
 
I think you are wise to listen to your own body & take charge of your recovery. We need to be our own advocates in the healing process. Not be told we should be further along or not using a cane or whatever anyone else has to say.
I wish you the best & a joyous holiday season.
 
Thank you, Woodbutcher! Your words truly mean a lot to us and we appreciate you taking the time to share those thoughts. We're grateful to be part of your journey and we're thankful for the support you offer BoneSmart through your Insider membership. I love to read about the progress you're making and hope you'll continue to share hitting new milestones with us. Wishing you only the best, a very Merry Christmas and a blessed 2026!
@Woodbutcher
:merry-xmas-smiley-emoticon:
 
Hi Woodbutcher,
It's three months to date since the revision. Happy Three Month Anniversary!
I hope you enjoyed the holiday season and 2026 is off to a good start. May this year be a good one for you!
Stay in touch when you have the time. We love updates. :)
@Woodbutcher
 
Hello and happy belated New Year to you everyone.
This week was one year since I fell and shattered the neck of my femur.
One emergency surgery to to fix my bone with a gamma nail, one surgery to repair damage to my knee when I fell and one revision surgery to a total hip replacement later I was able to go out and shovel all the snow and ice we got last week. I moved slowly and carefully as the last thing I wanted to do was fall 3 1/2 months after the hip replacement.
I never thought that being able to shovel snow would bring such a sense of accomplishment.
It has been a long and sometimes frustrating journey and I would like to thank my surgical team for doing a great job with a complicated revision surgery and to the Bonesmart staff
especially Layla for helping me stay somewhat sane through all the ups and downs of the past year.
To anyone reading this and having a rough recovery stay strong and patient. There is light at the end of the tunnel.
 
@Woodbutcher … what a fabulous success story. I’m so happy for you to be able to shovel a pile of snow after all you’ve been through this past year. Please do take it easy on your beautifully repaired body. And let us know how you’re doing now and then. As you know, updates from our post-op members are sooooo important to those who are facing an upcoming surgery or just beginning recovery.
 
Thank you so much for the kind words, Woodbutcher, it truly means a lot and its been my pleasure to support you on your healing journey. I worry about you shoveling the snow. I understand what an accomplishment it feels like, but the thought of any of us hipster's slipping and falling really frightens me. If you don't already have a pair, look up traction cleats, gripper spikes or ice cleats...some of the key words to search for these products online, if interested. If you're unfamiliar, they're relatively inexpensive and normally slip on over boots or shoes for better traction on icy surfaces.

I'm happy you had a great surgery team and felt confident in your OS's ability to get you back on track. You're doing fantastic at only a little over three months post op and even brighter days are on the way. Stay in touch, we love updates and those following behind will find your posts inspirational. Happy 2026! :SUNsmile:
@Woodbutcher
 
Thanks for the info Layla. I do have a pair of cleats that attach to my boots. It is truly frightening to think about falling again. I think about all of the falls I’ve had in my life either at work or participating in sports and how lucky I was that this injury didn’t happen sooner than it did. We take our bodies for granted until something catastrophic happens. Thanks again and stay safe and warm during this crazy weather.
 
Hello Woodbutcher,
Happy Four Month Anniversary, Happy Valentines Day and Happy Weekend!
I hope you're doing well and your weekend is all you want it to be.
Stay in touch! :)
@Woodbutcher
 
Hi Layla, Happy belated Valentine’s Day to you. I hope that the weather where you are is tolerable for this time of year.
Thank you for contacting me on this the 4 month mark of my new hip. Things are progressing well. Each day I get a little stronger and the only pain left is in my groin when trying to move my leg while sitting. We went dancing today and it was nice to be able to feel somewhat graceful while moving around the floor.
It truly is a long slow process to get back to a normal lifestyle after this type of injury and the then having to have revision surgery after that. Patients and the determination to heal and move on with your life I believe is one of the keys to a positive outcome.
Thank you again for your support and the good work that you do helping people cope with the trials they have to deal with before and after the life altering changes that come with these surgeries. Take care and thanks again, Woodbutcher
 
We went dancing today and it was nice to be able to feel somewhat graceful while moving around the floor.
What a wonderful update! This is what makes the journey worthwhile.

Yes, recovery takes longer than we expect (or hope), but you are proof that we can get back to the things we love after injury and surgery.
 
Dancing?!! :happyfeet:Good for you, Woodbutcher, that's wonderful news!
You're doing well even though it feels like a slow process and we're happy to support you through it all so please keep sharing your progress and we'll continue to cheer you on. I believe you still have many milestones to look forward to on your way to full recovery. May it only get better! :thumb:
@Woodbutcher
 
Totally agree on the joys of being able to dance again after hip replacement! What an absolute joy! Well done you :flwrysmile:
 
Happy Seven Month Anniversary! :wave:
I hope you're enjoying Spring 2026. If you have time to share an update on your progress, we'd love it. Wishing you strength, ease of movement and many active years ahead with your new hip.
Take good care!
@Woodbutcher
 
Hi Layla, thanks for the well wishes and for keeping in touch.
Everything seems to be continuing to heal and get stronger.
I still have a bit of trouble walking long distances but each week gets easier to go a little farther.
Patience really is the key to recovering from these types of surgeries just as you tell us with the advice you give. It is hard to fathom that it has been almost a year and a half that this journey from shattered neck of femur to pinning to revision hip replacement started.
Thank you all at Bonesmart for your advice and support. I hope you all have a great summer. Stay healthy and keep up the great service you do for all that are going through a very difficult time in life.
Woodbutcher
 
Happy 7 month anniversary!
You are so right about bonesmart. I would have been lost without it.
So many well meaning friends giving advice that never had the surgery.
That’s the benefit of this site. It’s in real time with real people doing real recoveries!
 

Staff online

  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Members online

Back
Top Bottom