Fractured Neck of Femur/Pinning Hip repair

Morning Thanks for update and positive news!

I'm now 3 weeks post op and have been diagnosed with osteoporosis. No test. The view seems to be my fall shouldn't have broken my hip so I must have osteoporosis ! My calcium and vitamin D supplement arrived yesterday.

Whilst you were BWB did you have accidentally step on the foot? I did once and there was some temporary pain.

Cheers
Hi @MJK

I would ask for a scan referral not because the Calci-D will not have a benefit but if you do in deed have confirmed osteoporosis you can take other medications that also slow bone turnover.

It might not be right for you but once results known about your bone density a plan can be put in place. This may prevent future fractures associated with osteoporosis like vertebrae etc from simple tasks. Almost prevention rather than cure.

I haven’t stepped on foot before but sometimes a misstep still gives me a bit of discomfort like a missed step of a kerb etc.

I do remember having swelling in the lower leg after initially etc and was taking blood thinning injections daily for 6 weeks.

Frustration was my own ability to not be further on than I was. Christmas Eve will be my 3 year date from surgery and although it’s not like I’ve never broken it I have some muscle discomfort it really doesn’t restrict me.

I would try with OT or physio first crutches as for outdoor and driving once able to increase weight bearing will be easier. Navigating into a car etc. not going to say you don’t get some looks like should you be allowed to drive when people see you.

I guess it’s a marathon not a sprint I come to realise everyone was correct in that regards.

Looking back on my initial posts I seen I had 2 hydrotherapy sessions. These gave me faith and confidence it would get better. I did use the local gym pool afterwards not as warm!!! But did help with walking in water and feeling more normal movement. As much as these things help with your emotional and psychological belief it’s improving.

Bu 14 weeks I was back to work full time. Reality is this might have been too soon and I wonder if I’d have recovered quicker investing in a bit more recovery time.

Much is hindsight. I work in NHS it was a pandemic I wanted to get back to help I should have taken a bit more time for myself.

I have never had a day missing from work since other than leave so that’s the normality you can get back to. Hope that helps
 
Thanks for this update @Hobbling Along - much appreciated!

I will take you advise re bone density scan.

Couple more questions for you - hope you don't mind

How old were you when you had the op? Only asking cause I'm 63 and recovery does seem - at least in part - dependant on age.

Did you ever suffer from 'cabin fever'? I'm already suffering from it and it's makes me very restless & irritable!

I guess the question is really, if you did, how did you overcome it?

Cheers

Mike
 
Hi @MJK

I was 45 when I had my surgery so definitely never expected to break a hip. In fact I fell on ice in the morning I walked around most of the day in agony not believing it to be anything more than badly knocked. By evening I could no longer weight bare. So went to A&E.

I suppose it does play part in age but 63 is young. I was leaving the house on crutches within the first week getting on buses using the stairs within 48hrs but I’m not saying it was pain free but cabin fever was reduced just as I was going out but it was still hard being isolated from daily routine.

I could not get comfortable sitting and sleeping took me about 6 weeks to sleep a full night and to lie on the affected side.

I think I was worried about losing function and not getting back to pre fracture. But I think I probably did too much too soon.
 
  • Like
Reactions: MJK
Thanks @Hobbling Along

Very helpful and encouraging reply

Glad to hear how well you are doing - really gives me hope for my own recovery!

Cheers

Mike
 
Hi @MJK and @Hobbling Along!
Funnily enough I also just got diagnosed with Osteoporosis:( I’m 55 and fell skiing but I’ve been skiing a long time and this fall wasn’t that bad so clearly the bone is frayed!
Anyway I am at 7 months post hip pinning and I am currently on a trip to France from the states so I’m obviously doing fine.
When I got off the flight I was a bit stiff but not really pain which is a far cry from how I was feeling when I flew to Portugal in April. I was on tramadol and icing the whole way. I was miserable.
Don’t worry it does get better. It just takes time. I know you know that but there’s also lots of up and down days so be prepared for that. You will get there.
 
Hi everyone

I'm 5 weeks after hip fracture repair and over the last couple of days I've developed pins and needles in the foot that my hip was operated on.

Google tells me this is common and probably indicates nerve damage.

Does anyone have an experience of this and is it serious?

Thanks

Mike
 
Hello @MJK
You'll notice that I have merged your two threads together as it's best if members in recovery only have one thread. We find it much easier for everyone.
This is because:
  • That way, you have all your information in one place. This makes it easier for others to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you start new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.

Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread. We won't miss your new question as, between us, the staff read all new posts each day.
If you need an urgent response to a question, tag a member of staff.
Tagging other members and answering tags

If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts?

A helpful hint - Many members have found it useful to bookmark their thread so they don't lose it.
 
  • Like
Reactions: MJK
Afternoon all!

Almost 6 weeks since my femoral neck fracture with Dynamic hip screw (‘DHS) and almost 5 weeks from my discharge.

I thought one or two members about to undergo similar op (or not so far down recovery road as me) might be interested in my journey so far!

Due to see surgeon for first review a week next Thursday. Been non weight bearing since day after op and still am!

I couldn't get to grips with crutches so been using a walker. Very hard at first, hoping about on one leg! And, in my case it's my weaker left one!

Anyway, the good news - using the walker soon gets very easy and you start to develop muscles you didn't know you had!

I've had the occasional mishap and accidentally and very briefly, put my operated on foot on the ground.

First time was just over a week after the op. And it did hurt in my wound area later in the day. Had largely gone by the morning. Second and last time was a week ago. No pain whatsoever.

I didn't report either mishap to anyone but others may advise you do.

From about the 3rd day after my op, pain levels rarely above 3/10. Even when I came off codeine. Probably took ibruprofen at night for about a week and paracetamol on and off for first 2-3 weeks. After that, nothing and pain levels very rarely above 1/10 and nothing to speak off for about a week now.

I've been doing the leg exercises as directed almost every day since the op.

Recently added some simple Upper Body Exercises, to help build strength to aid with the walkers and lately a wheelchair.

Wound appears to be healing as expected - District Nurse very happy with progress when she removed the bondage.

So far, so good. I'll post update after my review with my surgeon. I'm hoping he will allow me to begin weight bearing on my right leg!
 
Last edited:
Nice update! Thanks for posting and best wishes for your appointment next Thursday. We'd love to hear about your review sometime afterward, if you'd like to share.

Please notice that we have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. Having your recovery information contained in one place will make it easier for you to reflect back on. It is also helpful for those stopping by to be able to review your history before advising or commenting. Please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you'd like your thread title changed at this point, please let us know and we'll gladly edit accordingly.

Have a lovely weekend! :)
@MJK
 
No worries. You have a great day! :SUNsmile:
@MJK
 
  • Like
Reactions: MJK
I'm now 6 weeks post femoral neck fracture hip repair op (tomorrow to be exact!) and thought I'd share my experiences of the (excellent) support I've had since I was discharged.

Obviously these are personal to me - and UK specific - so may not be applicable to others but hopefully this will be of some help

Contact your local council's Adult Services (or similar) once you have your discharge from hospital date to see what help is available and how to access it.

I personally contacted the Early Intervention Community Team, though this is a Birmingham specific team so may have a different name in your area, or may not exist.

They are a partnership between Birmingham City Council, Birmingham Community Healthcare and University Hospitals Birmingham.

They arranged for an Occupational Therapist to visit me in at home to produce a Care Plan.

The OT also arranged for up to 6 weeks free home care to help with dressing and washing in the morning.

They also arranged for an NHS OTs to visit my home to see if I needed any adaptations such as grab rails by the bath, shower stools etc.

And in my case, ramps to help use a wheelchair to navigate in and out of the house.

Waiting time for an NHS supplied wheelchair is about 18 weeks, so I've hired one myself at £15 pw. Hopefully I won't need it for too long!

You will probably need to contact your local GP to arrange for a nurse to come and remove your stitches, 10 weeks after your operation.

In my case the Early Intervention Community Team arranged for a District Nurse to come and remove my stitches.

Besides removing my stichtes, she was also able to supply some Cavilon 'no sting barrier film' to help with some slight sores I developed around my bottom - probably from spending too much time in hospital beds!
 
Good morning everyone from a wet and miserable Birmingham (England)

I had my hip repair just over 7 weeks ago and this morning is my first follow up appointment with the surgeon who performed the operation.

I feel the healing is going well but I'm a little apprehensive as I really can't be zero weight bearing any longer!!
 
Good luck with your visit today. I was partial weight bearing for about a month after hip replacement because I had small fracture as well.
The fracture did heal on its own thank goodness otherwise I may have needed another surgery.
It's a pain to be non weight bearing or partial but in the end it will be worth it.
 
  • Like
Reactions: MJK
X ray shows fracture heeling very well. 3 weeks 'tip toe' on leg then 3 weeks 50% weight bearing. Then next appointment . If all good put as much weight on as I can! Waiting to see physio now to decide what walking aid I need. Not a bad result
 
Good news! Thanks for keeping us in the loop.
Hang in there, brighter days are on the way. :SUNsmile:
@MJK
 
  • Like
Reactions: MJK
Afternoon everyone

Just back from second Follow Up Appointment following my femoral neck fracture.

The operation was 11 weeks and 3 days ago and I can now move from 50% weight bearing to 100% still using my crutches as directed by my physio.

I can now resume driving, flying away on holiday and step up into my bath to have a shower!!

Next appointment in 3 months time when the Registrar expects to sign me off.

It been quite a long and - at times - difficult journey - but I hope my experience encourages others in a similar position!

I found zero weight bearing with a walker very hard and frustrating. I did suffer from 'cabin fever' quite badly too.

My advice would be do all your exercises every day. Eat more greens to help increase your calcium intake, to strengthen your bones. Kale is especially good but I'm also on a daily calcium supplement prescribed by my GP.

Stay positive - and don't get too irritable with your wife/husband/partner - it's tough on them too
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom