Guest viewing is limited

Hip problems without groin pain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ramp, try using this form. Print it off and fill it in. It's for you only, no need to tell me the results. But it will give you a really good idea of your quality of life and you can take it to the surgeon so he can see how bad things are for you.
 

Attachments

Ramp, try using this form. Print it off and fill it in. It's for you only, no need to tell me the results. But it will give you a really good idea of your quality of life and you can take it to the surgeon so he can see how bad things are for you.

Hah. I think we all know that form is going to tell me to get a hip replacement yesterday !! Thanks !


Sent from my iPad using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
stem cells in the interim
I'm afraid you would not be a candidate for stem cells. The joint has to have very minimal damage - in most cases patients have no symptoms it's so early.

Get that THR and then you can stop worrying.
 
I never had groin pain. My pain is exactly like yours. Doc Taunton Mayo Clinic notice cyst behind the labrum and said according to his research pointed to the need for hip replacement.

I had bilateral anterior about ten weeks ago. Left still hurts right is doing well


Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
I think I've also torn both my gluteus minimus muscles. A doctor told me he saw that on my MRI and I wonder if that is because my joints are in bad shape. It makes sense why I have so much glute pain. Anyone else have this issue with your bad hips ?

I wonder if they need to be fixed before any surgery.


Sent from my iPad using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Folks, it's unnecessary to quote a post just to reply to it. Just scoot on down to the bottom of the page and get typing! Unless there is some specific phrase you want to address, of course!
Then do it like this How to quote a post.

Thanks for understanding! :)
 
I agree with the doctors that say you are too young - but not for the reasons they give.
  • You are too young to be living your life in constant pain.
  • You are too young to have your mobility so badly compromised.
  • You are too young to be giving up the lifestyle you enjoy.
  • You are too young feel so old.
Why spend your life now in pain, with constant doctor visits and temporary "fixes" for your hips? The years you spend as you are now will be wasted years - years when you could be out, doing the things you want to do.

Before my first knee replacement, I was a victim of a surgeon's "too young" philosophy. I spent nine miserable, painful years, becoming progressively more disabled (despite the temporary solutions) until I was almost housebound.
During that time, I lost muscle strength and my tendons and ligaments distorted, which led to a longer recovery period.

My first knee replacement gave me back the life I wanted, the life I had been missing for years. After a period of recovery, I could again go anywhere, do anything.

When your life is as affected by your hips as yours is, nothing is going to make it better except for having those hips replaced. Don't muck around with temporary solutions. Do it once, do it right - go ahead and have those hips replaced.
 
My situation is similar to yours prior to your surgery. I have two bad hips, but my right is the worse. My right hip looks pretty worn on x-ray, with a narrowed joint space, bone spurs, and, of course, the residual deformity caused by SCFE. However, I have virtually no true hip pain or groin pain at all. But I do have what feels like a very weird, hard-to-describe pain syndrome which I have been battling for well over a decade. This syndrome consists of lower back pain and stiffness, lower leg and knee pain, ankle pain, and foot pain. That combined with my stiff hips and lack of mobility makes my day-to-day life miserable at times.

The arthritis in my hip, combined with my functional limitations, qualifies me for a hip replacement now, despite my not having any true hip pain. My surgeon thinks that most of my pain stems from altered biomechanics and gait abnormalities caused by my bad hips (specifically my right hip; my right leg is 1/2" shorter than the left as well, and my right thigh is much less developed than the left).

So, I am close to deciding to have surgery.

I wonder how often an asymptomatic but clearly diseased hip joint gets replaced because of functional issues and how it negatively impacts other parts of the body by causing referred pain to other areas?
 
I went to see my OS for groin pain ten years ago. X-rays revealed stage 4 osteoarthritis in the left hip. I had pain, but not severe pain. I was able to deal with this pretty well and was able to cycle and hike, even run a little bit without much limitation. It seemed that the pain subsided over the years, but my range of motion got worse. Maybe I was just avoiding motions that would cause pain, but I would say that I had little to no pain. I often had soreness and stiffness in my back, maybe by having to bend too much when I couldn't bend at the hip. My right foot might have also been negatively impacted.

This last summer it became clear that it was time for surgery. I was able to complete a 75 mile backpacking trip, but it would take all day to cover 6 miles and I wasn't always able to put on my own boots and socks. I didn't have enough range of motion to get bicycle pedals around in a full circle without pain.

It's now a little over four months since surgery and things are great. I can hike at a fast normal pace without any difficulty or discomfort. The soreness and stiffness in the back is completely gone.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder how often an asymptomatic but clearly diseased hip joint gets replaced because of functional issues and how it negatively impacts other parts of the body by causing referred pain to other areas?
A clearly diseased hip joint will rarely be asymptomatic though the pain might be tolerable for some. But the diseased joint certainly can affect other places such as the back, the legs, neurological issues such as headaches and mental health issues like depression. As the saying goes "everything is connected to everything else!"
 
I have a lot of pain in other areas of my body on a regular basis, i.e, lower back, lower legs, knees, feet, etc., but very little direct hip joint pain. Even during the hip exam, my hips are asymptomatic -- except for internal rotation; internally rotating the hip during exam is the only movement that can cause direct hip pain.

But I can do jumping jacks, hop up and down, and do things like leg presses and partial squats with zero hip joint pain. My hips are, however, stiff, and my gait is somewhat uneven and my overall mobility is impaired. And of course, I suffer from what feels like a hard-to-describe pain syndrome, where, like I said, my lower back and most areas south of my hip joints regularly ache and hurt -- even my ankles and feet often hurt; and my lower back is always stiff. But again, no direct hip pain.

My hip x-rays tell the story of the state of my hips though. All the pain and biomechanic issues have been constant for well over a decade. So, I am motivated to have my hip replaced (right side) if that will alleviate all the residual issues and seemingly referred pain from which I suffer. My surgeon thinks that most of my issues are because of bio mechanical issues and misalignment, which should be remedied by restoring correct joint anatomy.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Hip problems without groin pain?
    IMG_7470.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 180
I feel most of my glute muscle pain is from the muscles trying to compensate for the bad joint. Your X-ray does look low on the right side for sure but if you can get an MRI those are really good too or better. Your left side might have issues. Some hips seem to look like they have some life left but the MRI shows bone on bone in some spots. That's what happened to me. Radiologist report said mild arthritis and then MRI said torn labrum. Bone on bone in some areas and some kind of cyst on one side too. It's pretty depressing reading but at least you know it's fixable with surgery.


Sent from my iPad using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
Well my specialist wants to delay the THR and is sending me to a rheumatologist and for a back MRI as well as half a dozen blood tests. I am still planning on the THR anyway in case it's a dead end. But now he thinks that I may have other issues because I have no groin pain and the pain is mostly in my sides and glutes. Could be nerves etc and doesn't want me to wake up from THR and still have pain even though my hip joints look pretty rough. I had shockwave treatment today for the glutes to see if it would help. So far I'm just sore. It's just so many more tests and time but he does have a point. If I am going to have surgery it better solve my pain. The latest MRI didn't show any tendon or muscle damage so I am scared it is a nerve issue and is going to be impossible to diagnose.


Sent from my iPad using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom