Guest viewing is limited

Fractured Neck of Femur/Pinning Hip pinning, increasing pain starting month 5

@Merrill I am sorry you got no response to your question. Have you discussed the previous MRI report with your surgeon or any other doctor? Sometimes the written reports can be confusing but a physician can look at the images themselves and see things not in the report. Also have you talked to your surgeon or primary care doctor about other imaging options? While a 3D MRI probably would give more information, those I imagine are expensive, would need to be special ordered by a physician, and probably would been per-authorization from your insurance. As for a CT Scan - that might give more information but a physician would be the best person to decide what would be most useful to your particular situation.
 
Thanks so much for your response. I have excellent secondary (to Medicare) health ins and am very fortunate that I don't need pre authorization for MRIs. Won't bore you with too much detail but it's been a struggle. Original surgeon, not a hip specialist so out of the picture since surgery. UCSF doc who ordered MRI referred me to a hip specialist who refuses to see me because I'm "over the age of 50." Finally, after four weeks of not getting anywhere with UCSF, I asked the UCSF doc who ordered the MRI to refer me to Stanford but he said he can't do that. Primary isn't with either UCSF or Stanford, so they likely won't be able to assist either. Surreal.
 
@Merrill Surreal indeed! I am particularly puzzled by the "over the age of 50" comment ..... that's a new one on me as many hip replacement surgeons seem to think folks don't need hip replacement until they are at least 50 if not 60. I've asked my colleagues who may be more familiar with the SF area than I am, to suggest some hip specialists in that area. Hopefully some one will have viable ideas for you.
 
I'm in rural northern Calif, so accustomed to travelling to specialty care.

In my experience, if I can come up with a specialist I want, my primary care doc is happy to refer me to any medical center I can get to - her own affiliation doesn't matter in the least.

I believe our Admin has some Stanford orthos she can recommend. It's definitely worth asking your primary to make the referral (assuming you need a referral... I have Medicare with a good Medigap policy and self-referred to my ortho).
 
I provided a list of possible surgeons in Post#17. @Merrill … have you checked with any of them or set up consultations?
 
I provided a list of possible surgeons in Post#17. @Merrill … have you checked with any of them or set up consultations?
Hi Jamie - circling back - I was finally able to get an appt with Dr. Hansen's PA but Dr. Hansen (understandably) was not available for months. His PA is suggesting another steroid injection but I'm not sure that's a good idea.

But was also told "well this is the hip replacement center" and seemed to imply I needed to be seen in a different dept. But the UCSF doc who was best for me to see refused due to the fact that I'm over the age of 50.

My primary referred me to Stanford tho not a specific doc. Stanford does not call back and when I called again last week I was on hold for an hour and had to give up.

This is a very surreal experience. I'm willing to travel out of the area at this point.

P.S. I'm a former competitive swimmer. During Covid for example, after being out of the pool for 1.5 yrs, I hopped in the pool and churned out a quarter mile (18 lengths in 25 yard pool) without stopping, with no problem whatsoever.

A couple of weeks ago, I had access to a good pool while on vacation. Did a total 8 lengths - slowly, stopping in between. Next day could barely walk - could not put weight on my leg.

It's now been close to a year since the injury and it's super frustrating and my health is definitely deteriorating.
 
I'm in rural northern Calif, so accustomed to travelling to specialty care.

In my experience, if I can come up with a specialist I want, my primary care doc is happy to refer me to any medical center I can get to - her own affiliation doesn't matter in the least.

I believe our Admin has some Stanford orthos she can recommend. It's definitely worth asking your primary to make the referral (assuming you need a referral... I have Medicare with a good Medigap policy and self-referred to my ortho).
Circling back to update everyone on the ongoing saga - thanks so much. I called Stanford initially and they refused to give me an appointment without a referral, even though I have Medicare and a fantastic secondary policy (via a big Silicon Valley tech company) which is actually better than a Medigap policy. I can self-refer anywhere. And Stanford is in network for the secondary.

Ok so I then when through the hassle of asking my primary (at Sutter Health) for a referral to Stanford. She sent me to hip preservation which is the right dept. After weeks of trying I had to give up on Stanford. They don't call back. On Aug 15 I was on hold for an hour and finally had to hang up.

It's surreal.
 
@Merrill - wow that's worse than UCSF! They answer their phones and voice mails!

I had one busy practice up north here also insist on a referral "to make sure it's appropriate so you don't waste the doctor's time." Ummm... bye!
 
I had Dr Sah in Fremont do my THR which was complicated due to a previously botched surgery, you might give him a try. There is a specific type of MRI used when you have hardware, it's called a MARS MRI.
 
I think you’re wise to forgo any injections at least for now. Many doctors will not do surgery for 3 months following an injection and just in case that becomes needed, you don’t want to have to wait because of the shot.

I would try some others on the list. There are many great surgeons outside Stanford.
 
Certainly frustrating navigating the health care system.
In my experience I only found a cortisone injection to be beneficial once & that was when I tore meniscus in my knee & it was swollen. OS drained & gave me cortisone shot & felt like I could run marathon but since have had them in my shoulder with no relief.
When I developed bursitis after hip replacement once again they suggested cortisone shot & I just said no thanks, fixed it on my own with massage, heat & ice.
I have no good advice for you but I feel your frustration & wanting to get back to day to day pain free life.
I do wish you the best.
 
@Merrill - wow that's worse than UCSF! They answer their phones and voice mails!

I had one busy practice up north here also insist on a referral "to make sure it's appropriate so you don't waste the doctor's time." Ummm... bye!
Thanks Mendo! Unbelievably, I received a message from Stanford Health this morning. "We apologize for the delay in processing your referral..." I checked the date and the referral was submitted six weeks ago. I called the phone number listed on the message - same phone number as before - 19 callers ahead of me in the queue. Selected the "call back" option. It's been hours. No call back. Don't know whether to laugh or cry.
 
I had Dr Sah in Fremont do my THR which was complicated due to a previously botched surgery, you might give him a try. There is a specific type of MRI used when you have hardware, it's called a MARS MRI.
Oh my lord - this is super helpful info. Thank you Gray. I'm flummoxed by UCSF.
 
I think you’re wise to forgo any injections at least for now. Many doctors will not do surgery for 3 months following an injection and just in case that becomes needed, you don’t want to have to wait because of the shot.

I would try some others on the list. There are many great surgeons outside Stanford.
Thank you so much Jamie - great advice! I didn't know that and it wasn't conveyed. (I love this forum.)
 
Certainly frustrating navigating the health care system.
In my experience I only found a cortisone injection to be beneficial once & that was when I tore meniscus in my knee & it was swollen. OS drained & gave me cortisone shot & felt like I could run marathon but since have had them in my shoulder with no relief.
When I developed bursitis after hip replacement once again they suggested cortisone shot & I just said no thanks, fixed it on my own with massage, heat & ice.
I have no good advice for you but I feel your frustration & wanting to get back to day to day pain free life.
I do wish you the best.
Thank you for the feedback and sympathy. Greatly appreciated. Bursitis. Ouch. Many years ago, I had a steroid injection in left shoulder for frozen shoulder. It was a miracle cure. This time, on the right (due to having wrist/arm immobilized after the accident) - not so much.
 

Staff online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom