Hip Infection - Any Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
BMsea
Sorry to hear you continue to have troubles with you septic hip. @Josephine may be able to help answer your questions about the infection maybe returning.
 
@BMsea You really are having a tough time of it, aren't you?
The dr recommends going off the OxyCodone and put me on Tramadol 50 Mg two every four hours and alternate with 800mg Motrin. I really don't see all that much relief, but it's something. Has anyone had any better painkillers or combination that might help better?
Motrin is ibuprofen, an NSAID, which is actually a very poor/mild pain killer. Plus it has some side effects. I know many doctors (UK) who won't prescribe or even recommend it these days. Read this Medications: acetaminophen (Tylenol, paracetamol) and NSAIDs, differences and dangers.

However, I've always found Tramadol to be a really excellent pain med and always recommend that based upon my own experiences of TKR. But I'd suggest you do three things:
1. take 100mg every 6 hours
2. take 1,000mg Tylenol with it - as per this chart
3. if one dose is scheduled during the night, make sure you take it then - set an alarm if you have to!

[Bonesmart.org] Hip Infection - Any Advice


You may find this better, you may not but it's worth a try.
the pain got so bad I switched to crutches
I was going to suggest that from your earlier post. I hope you're finding it better.
The doctor and I talked about having to be infection free for about 2-3 months before replacing the hip.
Absolutely! And longer if possible.
my hip is making clicking noises when I walk
That will be because the bone is in direct contact instead of having the cartilage lining. IN addition to which, the bone will be rough, like a gear box. And this will be the clicking you are aware of.
He did possibly recommend a temporary hip replacement. Said once he cut off the femoral ball, if any infection was present it would be gone. He told me I could stay with the temp hip upwards of three years before getting the permanent hip installed. Has anyone heard of this?
I have. It's a very good resolution for such a situation. It's called a Girdlestone's op, that being the surgeon who first described it back in the 1900s! Before the advent of the hip replacement (in the late 1950s) it was almost the only remedy for arthritic hips. Patients generally have a very odd gait after this as that side tends to drip down as they put weight on it but the plus side is that it is totally pain free. And later, when the infection is eradicated, the THR can be done in the usual way.

This is what such a hip looks like and a normal hip to compare. I hope this helps to reassure you.

[Bonesmart.org] Hip Infection - Any Advice
 
Ok, the pain was so bad today I was unable to walk. I had to call out of work. Pain meds are not working, 100mg tramadol every 6 hours and a 800 mg Motrin in between. I'm going to try icing, can't think of anything else to do. I did up my OS appt to this Thursday. Hopefully the Doc can do something for me.
 
@Joesphine hello, thanks for getting back with me. I will try the Tylenol right way. The OS also said if the infection was back they might have to install a spacer. From the forums, it sounds like most have pretty good results from that. My big concern is getting bad to work quickly, we are a one income family. I have almost 3 weeks vacation. Doc told me with the new hip, he could get me back to work in 3 weeks, I assume it about the same with a spacer. It's mainly a desk job.
 
Well, got the blood work results back today. My CRP was 12.7 last week, the blood work from yesterday was CRP 98. Yep, infection is back. OS ordered temp hip and getting it putting Monday. What I find strange is neither the OS or ID Dr are putting me in the hospital. They are prescribing oral antibiotics and a stronger pain killer. I thought for sure they would get me on IV meds right away. My temp is normal, sugar was 172, I just can't walk from the terrible pain
 
OS ordered temp hip
In that case, what they are probably using is a device made out of antibiotic impregnated bone cement, like this
[Bonesmart.org] Hip Infection - Any Advice


You would find it much more comfortable to weight bear on than you arthritic hip.
 
@Josephine thats encouraging. Doc phoned in OxyCodone and cephalexin, he seems to think the antibiotic will help with pain. If it doesn't I think I'm going to go to ER in the morning. I would be much more comfortable with stronger meds and can ask my million questions Thanks a lot for your feedback, it helps a lot. I'll let you know what happens next. Incidentally, BMsea was my rank in the U.S.CG (BMC)
Thanks Mike
 
@BMsea I had an antibiotic spacer in my right hip for nine weeks. The first six weeks with PICC line and Vancomycin then Daptomycin injections daily. It did the job. I'm two months post op for a hip revision and now doing well. With spacer I was partial weight bearing on the right hip so I used a walker and didn't drive. Hoping you have the outcome you want.


08/12/2016 THR
09/10/2016 REMOVAL of THR AND PLACEMENT OF ANTIBIOTIC SPACER
11/16/2016 REVISION THR
 
@Ipolovchik thank you for responding. That's mostly likely the path I'll be taking. The pain got so bad, I went to the ER on Wednesday. I'm now on IV antibiotics and Diladid and resting as comfortably as I can. I had my MRN done Thursday morning and they discovered an abscess within the leg, most likely the cause of my extreme. @lpolovchik once you came out of surgery with the spacer installed, did you have a feeling of relief? I'm really glad to hear your new permanent hip is doing well. I'm assuming your pain free and able to get around like before? Thanks
 
@Ipolovchik thank you for responding. That's mostly likely the path I'll be taking. The pain got so bad, I went to the ER on Wednesday. I'm now on IV antibiotics and Diladid and resting as comfortably as I can. I had my MRN done Thursday morning and they discovered an abscess within the leg, most likely the cause of my extreme. @lpolovchik once you came out of surgery with the spacer installed, did you have a feeling of relief? I'm really glad to hear your new permanent hip is doing well. I'm assuming your pain free and able to get around like before? Thanks

No I didn't have relief. I was so sick that I didn't care about anything for about four weeks until my Sed Rate and CRP were going down. The spacer caused a lot of pain and discomfort. I was very angry about the infection and having my hip removed and getting a spacer in its place. It caused me to loose all independence. My infection was hospital acquired. Now with a revision I'm doing well and off pain killers but back on my RA meds. I can take care of my home, cook, do laundry and drive locally to shop. I walk most of the time with the cane especially on steps. I exercise and walk on a treadmill daily. I was told that the spacer takes a lot out of the body. I needed blood transfusions after the spacer surgery and again after the hip revision. My blood work from yesterday shows that my hemoglobin is now normal. You will need lots of rest. Elevate and ice a ton. At two months post op I still rest all afternoon. My PCP stays in touch with me on a regular basis. My health plan requires her to coordinate my care. The worst is behind me. It'll get better for you too. Patience is a virtue going thru something like this.


08/12/2016 THR
09/10/2016 REMOVAL of THR AND PLACEMENT OF ANTIBIOTIC SPACER
11/16/2016 REVISION THR
 
Yikes, thank god for the end results. Still not really sure what OS is planning, I guess I have hope for the best and focus on the future. I'll let you know. Thanks for sharing your story! Mike
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom