THR Hi, Yearly update

Quick hi and update :wave: 7 months since the right and nearly 4 since the left this surgery has been unbelievable to be free of that grinding debilitating pain is incredible you do truly get your life back I can even put socks on now with no aids let alone walk the dogs miles jump on and off my motorcycle and basically live a normal life . My only grumble is that stupid insect bite 2 have healed no problem the third because of where it is has turned into a small ulcer this was due to it happening so soon after the second op when I was full of blood thinners etc and my circulation was compromised due to lack of mobility. Its no great problem and will heal in time the doctor says but it is a nuisance having to keepi
it dressed and stopping me swimming but nothing compared to pre op problems. Hope all my friends out there doing well this forum and the great people on it were such a support and help in my
pre op and early post op days will be forever grateful of your support and help :SUNsmile:

How wonderful and how encouraging to us who'll need a new hip sooner rather than later! I don't want to ride a motorbike but oh the anticipated joy of putting socks on unaided!

It really is a life changing operation @bickypeg I have just come back from a 4 mile walk with my dogs no sticks , 6 months ago I could hardly walk from room to room unaided as soon as you need it doing don't wait go for it you never know it may be so life changing you buy a motorcycle :heehee:

It all depends on waiting lists I suppose. How I wished I'd made more of a fuss many many months ago when I got my first Xrays which were really bad. Think I was frightened of the op and also knew it would mean retiring from my job.What a silly I was as I was virtually housebound within months. And my lovely new hip needs more exercise than it can get at present.
Did you have it done at the QE? We lived in Brum and I worked there and in Solihull back in the 70s. Good times.

@mcopt
So so good to hear from you and know that you are doing well!
I don't know what kind of insects you got biting you over there..but oh my stars...that HAS been a while.
Was it a spider bite?
Thanks for popping by with Proof of Life.
Hope you are enjoying your new baby.
Ride free....

Last edited:
Shocker! But what a wonderful surprise to see your post.
I'm happy to read you're doing so well and are back enjoying life.
Stupid bug bite, how annoying. Hopefully it heals soon.
Pop in once in awhile, we've missed you!
@mcopt

Hello Martin @mcopt ,
I'm very happy to read your new update. I, too, hope you're enjoying the new baby.
My left hip is still fine. I still don't need the right hip replacing. Meanwhile, I've had my first cataract operation - the left eye, and it was a success. I don't need distance glasses for that eye so far. Th right eye will be operated on Tuesday, and if that works so well, too, I won't need glasses anymore for driving, only for the office and for reading. That's something, isn't it? I've never driven without glasses or without contact lenses before in my life. Another thing is that white actually appears white to me now, and no longer dirty yellow. There is just one thing that's a bit of a nuisance - not the long period of time I won't be able to work - I can use that time to relax - 7 weeks altogether - no it's more the fact that they said no swimming, no reading magazines and books (only a minimum like the boring package leaflets of my eye drops), and no eye make-up for 7 weeks. Actually, they said no sport either - but light jogging - that's not sport, that's exercise :). Anyway, I'll update when I have more news. I hope that nasty insect bite has healed by now. All the best - Constanze

mcopt - sorry I missed you over the weekend. I'm so glad to hear that you're having fun doing the things you love to do! The dogs must be loving getting their long walks back. Any plans to try skiing this winter?

@mcopt hi Martin so lovely to see your post and that you are doing so well !!!!! I have just had number 2 done and it's soooo much better than the last one. I hope to be enjoying life like you are soon too! Oh and I also have just become a Nana!

@mcopt That is truly inspiring. 11 more sleeps till my other hip gets replaced. Today I had my pre-op and brought the crutch to the hospital just in case but wound up mostly carrying it. The grinding pain you describe ... I used to call it a "nasty" pain—a burning feeling, fatiguing and depressing. When I got home from the appointment I had a bit of an energy drop and lay down, but I already feel so much better. It was good also to ask the nurse a couple of questions, like "The incision smarts from time to time; is that normal?" "Yes."

@Bevlah Congratulations!

I am hoping my second one will be easier too. The arthritic left hip starting acting up again a few days ago, kind of makes sense since the new hip side hurts minimally now. Sometimes they are more are less even pain-wise and I forget which to favor when I'm going up or down stairs.

Happy Four Month Anniversary on Hip # 2
Hope each week is better than the last!
The future looks bright. Ride safely :hog:
@mcopt

Hi all just catching up hope I haven't appeared rude by not replying to messages :sorry:good to hear from a lot of old (you know what I mean) and new hippies.
Nothing to report on the hips really except I can now get socks on easily and pull trousers up without having to steady myself sounds silly but its those sort of little things that can make a difference to how you feel about life aside from that the dogs are getting decent walks I am back at the gym and life is boringly normal thank goodness. The third bite ! Its still there it turned into a venous ulcer due to compromised circulation at the time it happened finally I have been given the correct advice and have been using compression stockings on that leg you think Teds are tough to wear then you should try these Super Teds !! 2 layers and about 3x the compression than ordinary post op teds :yikes: but they have worked and it is virtually healed so I can hopefully very soon get back into the pool and get swimming. Off for a long dog walk soon with the local dog walking group:dogwalk: something I haven't been able to do until now. Hope everyone is well @Bevlah congratulations on becoming a nana my middle daughter had a little girl on 8th Sept my second and 5th between us expensive Christmas's now ! @Constanze pleased to hear everything going well seem to be seeing so many people with cataracts nowadays got a little bit starting in my left eye I think.
Will try and keep up to date a bit more :wave::SUNsmile:

:wave:Glad life is getting back to normal.
Hate that you had to wear the Super TEDS but very happy that all is getting well.
Hope life continues to get better and better!:egypdance:

@mcopt hi lovey great to hear life is good for you. Well deserved for a very nice man. Putting socks on eh? Show off!!! I am hoping with this second one that one day that will also be me but it feels a long way off!! Patience...... God I am starting to hate that word! Yes being a Nana is the bestest feeling ever and I am blessed to have him in my life. Congrats on your fifth, blimey very expensive Christmas for you! Was lovely to hear from you and happy you have sorted out that ulcer, sounds horrific!

Hi @Bevlah hope the second one is healing well I am sure once both are working as they should you will get back to normal. Sure your lovely little grandson will be a big distraction whilst you are healing. Yeah life doesn't get much better than being able to put socks on and not falling over when I pull my trousers up :rotfl:.

Hi :wave: @mcopt
So nice to hear from you and know you're doing well.
Great news that bite finally bit the dust.
Hope life only gets better as you move forward.
Thanks for the update!

Thank you Martin @mcopt for your nice wishes. I'm back at work. Was able to go 3 weeks earlier than expected. Eyes are doing fine - driving in the dark - no problem. Hip - no news. just fine. I'm looking forward to the day when I get around to going open water swimming again. Now I'll be able to see where I'm swimming.
@Bevlah and you - congratulations to you for all your grandchildren. I'm not a grandmother yet.

Congrats on the new grand @mcopt ! I'm glad you're getting around and enjoying life - too bad that spider bite is continuing to cause problems. I lucked out of the compression stockings and was reaching my tolerance limit with the pneumatic cuffs by the 10 day point so I can't imagine wearing the super strong ones! Take care of yourself and those hips!

I'm guessing you're back to life and doing well!
I was sending you a Christmas gift but as you have graduated from recovery I'm going to just keep it!
rps20181123_060452.jpg

Hope your holidays are happy and bright.:tree lights:

Merry, Merry, Happy, Happy....wishing you a Merry Christmas and a Happy healthy 2019!
I hope all is well with you. Thinking back and missing the good times but life rolls on.
Hope you're living it to the fullest!
@mcopt
:nativity: :merry christmas:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back