BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. Announcing BoneSmart's NEW Joint Surgeon Locator tool

We are pleased to now offer a tool to help you find just the right surgeon for your needs. If your surgeon is not listed, please let us know and we'll get them added.

Read more about this in this announcement:

Dismiss Notice

[THR] Hi All... Right side done today

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by JonnyNight, Feb 5, 2019.

1. JonnyNight

JonnyNight junior member

United States United States
    Sorry for the Controversy All...!!

Apparently from what I read this is an ongoing debate..!!

Ok... So searching google "anterior hip replacement recovery time"... This comes up very first thing right at top of google search...

Recovery Time: Because the posterior technique involves cutting muscles around the hip joint and giving them enough time to repair, the recovery time is longer — generally two to four months. Since the muscles around the hip joint are not cut with the anterior approach, recovery only takes two to eight weeks.

The above from Orthopedic Institute of Pennsylvania..

https://www.oip.com/all-about-anterior-hip-replacement-surgery/

I don't know... Unless this is a fly by night place... LOL..! Sounds legit....

So this would make sense why people playing golf after 3 weeks...

It goes on...

• Like Like x 1
  2. midouri

midouri junior member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi Johnny,
    Good luck with the recovery. Do what i was advised here on the website (and btw I was pain free early on). I started only walking a very very little for the first few weeks... I didn’t rush anything. I mostly just rested. I backed off on the physio a bit as advised here and barely did any for first few weeks. I tried not to get frustrated with sitting still and I enjoyed loads of tv, reading etc. I literally followed the advice I got off Josephine, Layla and Mojo and that’s why I believe I’m pain free. I’m at 3 months now and back to work and back in Pilates.
    Best of luck it’s hard the first few weeks because you think there’s little progress but there is internally you just can’t see it. You will get there x.

• Like Like x 1
  3. midouri

midouri junior member

I wouldn’t pay too much attention to other websites. I saw people on YouTube pumping weights at 3 weeks... it depressed me as I thought I’m really struggling. Ask those people now wat they’re like and they might be riddled with pain. Your recovery will take time and give it that because you need your hip to last for a long long time and not wear it out. I’m now glad I didn’t rush things and looked after my hip and btw I’m still not doing things I’m told I can do until I’ve given my hip a chance to get stronger x.

• Like Like x 1
  4. midouri

midouri junior member

Sorry Johnny
    I think I read wrongly that you were just over surgery oooops

5. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

It's a bit of marketing hype. For awhile anterior was the latest and greatest - mostly because surgeons who used this approach did not impose any post op restrictions. No restrictions meant it was billed as an easier recovery. These days many surgeons don't impose restrictions.
    The end result is the same. For some it takes months or years to heal for others weeks. It's more about your surgeon's skill and how your body reacts to the trauma.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

:wave:Hope you're doing well, Jonny, and had a good week.
    Leave us an update one of these days and let us know how you're doing.
    Enjoy the weekend and make sure you behave! :wink:
    @JonnyNight

7. Debru4

Debru4 graduate

Hey, Jonny....haven't heard from you in awhile. I hope your recovery is continuing to go well!

Are you still using your mini green to golf? Probably a bit early to be thinking about a regular golf course? I would imagine golf is one of those sports you have to be careful with, as it involves twisting, but I'm sure you are more than ready to get back to it!

I remember a big improvement happening around 8-12 weeks, which is where you are now. Not that I still didn't have some thigh pain, or other pains, but my strength and movement were so much better, and I felt more confident about getting around. I hope you, too, are feeling better every day!