Guest viewing is limited

THR Heterotopic Ossification after Total Hip Replacement

Sorry I didn't see the image of the toilet come up and I inserted it more than one time.
 
Just wanted to bring my wife's tread back up front. Does anyone have any more info on Heterotopic Ossification???

#heterotopicossification
 
April 22, 2018 - My wife's problem with Heterotopic Ossification in her right hip after she fell and broker her hip and had a total hip replacement in Sept 2016 continues. However, after her last bone scan (full body) the doctor reports that the calcium has stopped growing and now she can have surgery to remove the calcium tumor and the bone growth on her right femur. She is scheduled for surgery on May 22 at Emory Hospital in Midtown Atlanta. The doctor is Dr. Shervin Oskouei, Musculoskeletal Oncology, Emory Orthopaedics Center, Atlanta, GA (one of two doctors I could find in Georgia who is familiar and can operate on people with HO. To hopefully prevent the return of the HO he will give her a treatment with radiation. I will let you know how this turns out. Prays would be appreciated. Thanks.

#heterotopicossification
 
@CalciumHip thanks for keeping us updated on the situation with your wife. Sounds like you have an expert to deal with the problem. Our thoughts are with you and your wife as you move forward.
 
Thanks Jaycey. This is a condition that has very little information about it anywhere. It has been a very tough on my wife and she has to use a walker and gets tired very quickly. She has fallen several times but fortunately has not broken anything else. Because of that she doesn't drive her car on her own. I really pray that this surgery works and that she can get back a lot of what she has lost. Thanks again for this web-site and I will keep you updated on the outcome.
 
I will remember you and your wife in prayer.
What a sad story. I hope the next surgery is a success and brings her healing and peace.
Please keep us updated.
Wishing you and your wife a pleasant week.
@CalciumHip
 
Thank you for bringing us an update on your wife. Wonderful that you have found a surgeon
who is familiar with her diagnosis and that she has surgery scheduled. I will be praying for a
successful outcome for your wife.
 
I hope the next surgery goes your wife relief. Sending you both prayers and positive thoughts :prayer:
 
Thankful a surgery for this complication is coming soon.
Wishing your wife all the best.:angel:
 
Surgery done on May 22, 2018 (last week). Doctors advised they took a "ton" of extra bone material out of my wife's right hip and leg. The day after the surgery they gave her a treatment of radiation on the area of the surgery to try to prevent the calcium from coming back. She had to spend two nights in the hospital. However, the surgery went well and no problems so far. I just took the bandage off after 7 days and no bleeding or drainage (or redness). LOTS of bruising below the area of the surgery from where they had her leg secured for the surgery. Also her right foot, ankle and leg is swollen but I understand that is normal from hip surgery. Will keep you posted on her progress. Sept 4, 2018 will be two years from the first hip surgery that lead to the HO. Thank God it's doesn't happened to that many people but it does happen and they is not a lot of info on this condition and HO is a rough road. Thanks to Bonesmart.org I was able to get some good info on HO.
 
I'm happy to hear your wife's surgery is now behind her and she's doing well.
Please read the Recovery Article below. It contains a lot of useful information.
I hope your wife is resting comfortably and I wish her the best as she moves through recovery. Please stay in touch, we'd love to follow her journey.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each, member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice. @CalciumHip
 
I'm glad your wife has made some positive progress! It sounds as though the surgery went well. Hopefully her recovery will also. I'll be praying for you both. I'm also glad that BoneSmart was able to help you through this challenge. You did such a great job with all the research too....kudos to you!!! Please let us know how things go.
 
Best wishes for a smooth recovery and a Hip pain free future!
 
Thanks for all of the kind words with thoughts, well wishes and prayers. I just took my wife Anna back to the Surgeon who did her Heterotopic Ossification surgery a year ago (May 22, 2018). And, the great news is that the x-rays taken during this visit show no new HO has grown back. That means it's a pretty good bet it will not come back (thank GOD). However, the effects of this condition and the tough surgery has taken a toll on my wife. This all started almost three years ago with a left knee total replacement, then she fell a week later and broke her right hip and had to have a total hip replacement (a new left knee and a new right hip in one week). She went to 75 double therapy treatments for the knee and hip. Then in Jan 2017 we found out about the HO. Like most people we had never heard of this condition. It got worse and worse in a very short period of time. Rehab was worthless to her then. I was able to find a doctor at Emory Clinic in Atlanta that had experience with this condition. However, we had to wait at least a year or until her body quit producing the calcium with turned out to be 18 months after her hip replacement. Dr. Oskouei a Musculoskeletal Oncology at Emory Healthcare, Emory Orthopaedics Center in Atlanta, GA did the surgery. He is a great doctor and we were so lucky to find him. Send me a private message if you would like his contact info or do a Google search for him.
 
Hello,
Thanks so much for the update. Wonderful to hear from you. Great news that there's no HO a year after surgery and the prognosis sounds good. Hopefully the toll the events have taken on your dear wife will ease with rest and time. She's lucky to have you as her devoted partner. Wishing you both a wonderful Spring, Summer and all things good!
@CalciumHip
 
Thanks. We have our 50th wedding anniversary coming up July 2, 2019. I move to Atlanta on May 24, 1969 and first met her on May 30, 1969 and we were married five weeks later. It's been a great fifty years and I would do anything for her and she for me. Here we were 50 years ago when life was so young.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Heterotopic Ossification after Total Hip Replacement
    Scan0006.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 322
What a wonderful story and a beautiful photo! Your devotion to your wife is compelling and inspirational.

I cannot begin to imagine the pain snd suffering she has gone through - so happy to see the the HO is not recurring.

I wish her well, and wish you both happy anniversary. 50 years together is really something to celebrate - so special.
 
Oh my...that is so amazing!
Meeting her six days after moving to a new location then marrying only five weeks later.
And still hopelessly devoted to one another after fifty years. That is worth celebrating.
Wishing you a Happy 50th since it's just around the corner. You're blessed!
Thanks for sharing your wedding photo and testament to true love.
@CalciumHip
 
Back
Top Bottom