Watch 2020 JRAD Videos

THR Here We Go Again!

SurreyGirl

supremo
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Welcome to the bright side. Re the peeing, I had a catheter which filled up regularly . Apparently the spinal injection causes this. I had Paracetamol (Tylenol) on adrip when they wouldn’t give me morphine. It helped.

Don’t get bored! Text the world and we will all respond. I remember hubby printin g off 100 text messages from friends for me to read when I came round. I couldn’t believe it.

Keep well and take care xx

GrannyC

post-grad
Country
United States United States
Welcome to recovery! By now you are probably getting ready to head home. It’s always nice to get back home and it sounds like you are off to a great start toward recovery. Just be sure to take it easy, rest, elevate and ice once your are home.

ahipgma

graduate
Country
Good morning!
So glad all continues to go well.
I too needed the stronger stuff and will need it again. Just had a spinal with moderate sedation last time. There are others in my family that get nauseated from strong narcotics, it's a thing with us I guess! But better informed this time it'll be better I hope. Leaving the hospital and being home is always a plus-- hoping for lots of rest and comfort for you today!

OP
OP
Barbaraj

Barbaraj

supremo
Country
Okay, first full day in recovery——it’s 6:30 AM and I am officially up and writing this on my teeny tiny cellphone screen. Feeling a bit light headed so munching on graham crackers and sips of water. Since food service doesn’t open until 7:00 this will have to suffice for now.

A tougher night than I recall from my last go-round. I dutifully got up and took a slow walk about 8:30 which was distinctly uncomfortable. But I powered through, took my first oxy and then had them bring in a boatload of pillows for positioning me for side sleep. I thought it would work, as it did for hip #1, but no way this time. Even after waiting for the oxy to kick in it was simply an awful sleeping position, stiff and painfully uncomfortable. I slowly nudged the pillows away and gingerly flopped onto my back. That wasn’t wildly comfortable either but tolerable and, boy, I was exhausted and fell asleep around 10:00 or so. Then two blissful hours until the midnight vitals check. Got in some short bursts of sleep after that until a 6:15 bathroom trip and decided at 6:30 to sit up, have them open the blinds (dreary, wet day out there) and start another fun (NOT) recovery day.

Have to pass OT and PT this morning, plus get trundled home in my husband’s car so opting for another oxy with breakfast this morning to help me get through the busy morning without gritting my teeth too much.

I am apparently quite dehydrated so they are “power pumping” fluids through my IV line. They asked if I’d been drinking any water last night and I thought, “how weird is that? Isn’t nighttime for sleeping?” Since, no, I was trying to get in some sleep despite all the interruptions! Anyway, trying to sip my ice water as I am listening to the faster IV line chug away.

Can’t wait to get home early this afternoon. Weary of hospital life. More later when I am home and ensconced in my own bed.

Last edited:

Fit4Family

post-grad
Country
:welome:So good to see you on the other side @Barbaraj

Hoping the fluids help you feel a bit better and that you get cleared to go home! You sound upbeat! You are an old pro with hip number two. It’s quite a learning curve for those of us who weren’t bone smarties. Healing vibes!

Going4fun

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
@Barbaraj, congrats on getting through your second "graduation." Sorry to hear of the overnight discomfort. Look forward to reading your updates ... love how active you are.

OP
OP
Barbaraj

Barbaraj

supremo
Country
Good morning, @Fit4Family. Thanks for the welcome! I am feeling much better now with big bag of fluid pumped in and some breakfast. Dreadful rubbery omelet but coffee was fabulous! Got a morning oxy as well, so things are looking good at the moment. Hope you are doing well, at a few months out you’re well on the way along this tedious recovery trail.

OP
OP
Barbaraj

Barbaraj

supremo
Country
What a sweetie you are, @Going4fun! I am feeling so NOT active this morning, a complete slug pretty much, though with a bag of fluid pumped in, breakfast eaten, a washcloth rubdown and brushed teeth life is looking up a bit. Just passed OT, waiting for PT and then hubby—and hopefully out of here by noon. Morning drear turned to sunshine and that makes me have a more positive attitude—uh, that and the oxy! I know it will be a even better when I can get home—so looking forward to my own bed and “stuff”. Hope all’s going well for you! Are you having days now where you don’t even think about your hips? That is my ultimate goal.

Last edited:

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Sounds like a good plan for your morning, Day 1 post op!
You sound great :loveshwr:
The best part is that you’re through surgery and a few weeks earlier than planned, that’s such a good feeling. Well, it was for me and I hope it’s the same for you. Nap when you can. :sleeep:

Elf1

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
@Barbaraj I'm hoping that by now you're home and safely snuggled into your nest, with your stuff! Sounds like you're coming along well, just remember to keep a slow roll! You have pretty much been channeling the energizer bunny so far! Have a peaceful day.
:hi:

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
@Barbaraj Safe journey home. Get those meds started, ice and elevate. You know the drill very well and do know that it will all get better each day.

Ptarmigan

senior
Country
All of this makes perfect sense - some hydration, nutrition, medication, grooming and COFFEE and the world is a brighter place even if we’re having uncharacteristic July clouds. It seems to me you’re coping with a long stretch from your “last supper” through to getting back to your “nest” with lots of demands and not a lot of rest, so I confess I am glad to hear you’re imitating a slug. Sounds perfect. Looking forward to your big “ahhh” when you get home and settled in.

Going4fun

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
@Barbaraj, yes, I do have "times" I don't think of my hip. Long stretches of days ... But ... I think of my hip a lot, usually in a positive way. I was so frustrated (which seems impatient now) with how long it took me to walk without a cane ... and then frustrated with various aches and pains and stiffness ... Well ... now that I can buzz around without a problem ... I'm frequently thinking, "I'm walking so well. I don't feel a thing."

Was in a dance class earlier in the week and at the end, I felt great ... just walked to my car with no problem ... "Couldn't do this a year ago," I said to myself. So so my hip is still on my mind, but that's fine. I'm in a celebration/appreciation phase ... not a bad place to be.

SurreyGirl

supremo
Country
@Going4fun exactly the same for me. I still think about my hip but mainly how different things are from this time last year when I was wincing every time we drove over potholes and the lack of sleep etc. Trying to lose weight now as I feel that I owe myself and the NHS a duty to do do and no more excuses!

@Barbaraj hope things are continuing to go well for you.

KathyB

Country
Congratulations @Barbaraj. So glad you are on the other side with the second hip. I remember how you wanted to have some extra time before having to have leftie done. Sometimes we just have to give in to our bodies. I will be pushing my OS to have my second hip done this year as well. Although my leftie is no where nearly as bad as the right one was, I do not want it to get to that point. I had developed a bad limp with my right hip and it took so long to get rid of it after surgery. Looking forward to your posts which are always so entertaining. Hope you get plenty of sunshine to keep your spirits up.:SUNsmile:

Top Bottom