Here we go again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why hello @Maeve - welcome back, although I would prefer it to be under different circumstances - like a whole bunch of travel photos - but as you say the goal is next May and I just know you will make it xx
 
Hi tiredwife, dovemck, @Campervan,@kneeper. Thanks for checking in on my thread and starting the cheer-squad! It will be a long game I think so hope you are comfortable there on the sidelines! Lol.

I expected to be in and out of here by now however I realize my knee isn't going to play superstar so - yeah, I'll be here with you.


Hospital stay will be 4-5 days then wheeled across to the rehab area and a private room. Quite a nice facility. Great hydro pool, young keen physios, two gym areas, very good food. Close enough for husband and friends to do lots of coffee runs.

Sounds just like me, must be the Aussie way. Sounds like the Yanks are out of hospital after two nights on average. At hospital we had a man with an espresso machine follow around the food delivery, didn't have that at rehab but did have a cafe on the ground floor - unfortunately I wasn't cleared to go there by myself for week. But it was convenient for visitors to stop there on the way up - which they all dutifully did. I have such good friends and family, they know a cuppa will put me right. About the hydro though, my surgeon and physician put a nix on that. I have my six week appointment on Friday and I'm pretty sure I'll be cleared to get into the water finally. Showers are fine, just not pools. I think it was @Celle said something like 'pools of dead skin cells and bacteria?' paraphrasing there, but I think that's the gist of it and of course she's right.

On my way to outpatient physio - will chat again later - Cheers!
 
Hi @dovemck ,
I'm liking your optimism...sounds like you are doing just fine on the recovery path!
We are very lucky here in...if we have Private Health it all seems to come together very well.
My knee has now totally collapsed. No amount of dry needling or TENs machine can help. Physio sent me off to get crutches as the knee just collapses without notice! The muscles around the joint are now just seizing in a futile attempt to protect the joint! Now I just have to get my mojo back and keep positive for the weeks until the op! Roll on Oct 9.
Re the hydro...the rehab physios are very careful about ensuring the wound is healed sufficiently and apply heaps of waterproof latex stuff over it. They check it microscopically before any of the "knees" are allowed near the water...I take your point however and perhaps the hydro will be a no go for the first part of the rehab stay?
As I was a hippie last time I didn't take much notice and my wound healed fantastically and very quickly!
All the best with the 6 week check. It's a great milestone because you get confirmation that all is well with the op and recovery is on track!
 
I....want....espresso....machine....

I gave my kids and husband my Starbucks order and a map of places on the way to the hospital.

I'm leaving for the hospital in a bit.
 
Oh my @Jane B.
Lucky you I say! On your way to great mobility again! All the very, very best.
Before you know it you will be in recovery...Go Girl:cheers:
 
Well! Seems it's all down hill for me! My knee has now totally collapsed. The joint has so degenerated that the surrounding muscles, in an attempt to protect the joint....so my physio says, just let go at any time when I am walking! Result the knee just grabs and my leg collapses..shooting pain and then I have to try and get the joint loose enough again to straighten! That's the best way I can explain it.
I'm now on two crutches and can't put any weight on the knee. Even with the crutches, unless I am very tentative the knee will buckle and 'give' under me at any moment.
I have three + weeks until surgery and am pretty well immobile. Not game to venture anywhere that requires walking, even on flat surfaces in case I crumble. Afraid I might have a fall and damage the newish hip! Oh dear!
Anyone else have this problem? Any clues how to manage it until the surgery date? Apart from just being totally sedentary and hobbling from bed to lounge? I don't do sedentary very well but don't want to do anything that will land me in a wheelchair for these three weeks pre surgery!
I don't have any bone on bone chronic pain and don't need any pain meds. The only pain is when the knee grabs and "gives" and then it's an excruciating shooting pain that eases once the knee seems to manouevre itself into a position the joint can tolerate. Any advice will be OH SO GRATEFULLY received!!:eeeuw:
 
Hey! Can anyone tell me what the little eye glasses symbol on my posts means? Senior Member perhaps?
 
?Are you talking about the '@' ? That is a way to tag people so they get an alert.
Before you hit post reply, after the a. Those two are so you can post a link to another site.
 
Thanks @tiredwife ,
I have a brace of sorts ...but not a really rigid one..sort of a sleeve with rigid bits each side of the knee. I might check with my physio if a more 'surgical' thing could work???
 
Hi @tiredwife ,
When I log into the pre op posts there is a pair of reading glasses! I think @Celle has the same icon on her posts? I know the @ symbol from hippie posts last time! :-)
 
Looks like you're getting the tkr just in time. Some kind of knee sleeve might help, but I know when I tried one from the drugstore when my knee was getting that way (with meniscus tears in addition to the arthritis) it was kind of painful. Hopefully the crutches will be enough for the next few weeks. :console2:
 
Sorry to be so long in replying -I'd be getting a walker /Zimmer frame and using it all the time until after the surgery. Don't be shy, embarassed or too proud to ask for and use it. You will have far more control than crutches or a brace.
 
Thanks @kneeper and @dovemck!
I have a walker/traymobile...quite a heavy duty one on hire....I found this was a great aid after the THR for around the house. Can carry coffee cup, bits and pieces etc and am now using this around the house and crutches for when I venture out. I am walking very tentatively lest I do more damage and really end up totally immobile . I have so many little chores to do before hospital.
I don't go out by myself...frightened I'll end up in a heap! My husband is great so hopefully I'll struggle through until Oct 9. Can't wait. Googled uploader braces as an option but they are SO expensive so will try and get through on a wing and a prayer until surgery!
Very depressing really but it is what it is. Can't wait for the surgery!
 
@Maeve I wonder if wrapping it with an ace bandage would help? Make sure it isn't tight enough to cut off circulation. Each day brings you closer to surgery and relief.
 
Thanks @tiredwife. I don't think icing can do any harm. Have just ordered a knee strap on ice thing for after surgery. I have some gel packs that are permanently in the freezer but I think it's as josephine explained in the 'waiting for my tkrs" thread I posted on....a "stone in the shoe" situation. Debris stuck in the joint ! Roll on the op I say!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom