Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Here I go again!<<.

Jordan6, I didn't have an MUA or lysis after TKR, (narrowly escaped)- only during my TKR after my first surgery when I messed up my knee. But one day I just decided, I'm not giving any more that I must to this. I'm still not my old self - but doing 30 min on exercise bike instead of biking 10-20 miles/day and still do stop and ice and/or elevate probably once a day but otherwise carrying on and it feels so much better. Off pain meds helps a LOT too, much more energy and much less depression. I put up with a little pain and take Tylenol a couple of times a day, usually at bedtime and morning. I know I have adhesions (did in my first surgery, and shin scar from plate removal is adhered to my leg bone again) so I keep pushing them just a little. And now, feeling sorry for myself a lot less! Good luck to you too!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
It's been 5 weeks to the day for my MUA and lysis of adhesions procedure. I still have tightness, soreness, and moderate swelling after an active day. My ROM Is hanging around 105. At 5 weeks, is this a normal recovery? It's been 10 months since original TKR.
 
@Jordon6 I too had MUA almost 5 weeks ago. I also still have some tightness, soreness, and some swelling. My flexion on Tuesday was 116 degrees. My therapist said that it could possibly take a year from the manipulation for all these symptoms to go away. But you also had surgery so that may make your situation different from mine. But then again we shouldn't compare each other because everyone is different as to how we recover, heal, etc. I have to remind myself every day to be patient...we can't rush how we heal. Hope this is of some reassurance to you. I feel like I am doing well since my MUA and it sounds like you are doing well too. I pray we can both continue to progress!
 
@jmp65 I pray for that too! I try not to compare my recovery to someone else's, but it's nice to hear from someone who's going through something similar! Just wanted to compare notes!

Thanks again!
 
You are so welcome @Jordon6 It is nice to know someone else is going through some of what you are. We don't have to feel alone!
 
Help bonesmarties!

I've started having pain on the back side of my knee, in the bend area. It's mainly when I go to stand from sitting (even after 5 min of sitting). It hurts and I can't bear ant weight for a couple of minutes. After a few minutes I can walk but still with a limp. It's been 9 weeks since my lysis of adhesions/MUA. I used crutches for a few days and walked ok until about a week ago. I had 6 weeks off work- I teach. My ROM is still about 100 with gentle pushing from therapy. I stopped PT 2 weeks ago cause I was so active at work, about 6000 steps a day and the added therapy was excruciating while my knee was swollen from work.

How long is the recovery and is this normal for this stage? Or do I need more therapy? I called my ortho because I read on here that it may be hamstring issues. He said to stretch and ice- which I do very often a day.

Any advice?
 
On Saturday I had a deep tissue massage. It felt great but I left elongated sore- which I was expecting. The therapist was trained in scar tissue relapse and I felt scar tissue manipulating. Today three days later I'm still very sore and I'm having some new knee pain. Is this normal?

Also I'm limping worse that I was before the massage. I'm afraid of blood clots. I have no new swelling but new pain.
 
Wow that was some massage. Let's ask @Josephine what she thinks of the massage you mentioned and how long you've had pain from it. IMO it seems like too much and your knee and leg is letting you know,
 
On Saturday I had a deep tissue massage. It felt great but I left elongated sore- which I was expecting. The therapist was trained in scar tissue relapse and I felt scar tissue manipulating. Today three days later I'm still very sore and I'm having some new knee pain. Is this normal?
I don't think the massage was a good idea at all.
Remember this, from the BoneSmart mantras?
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist (PT) - to do it to you. exercise only gently
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again


I'm pretty sceptical about the therapist having been trained in scar tissue relapse and scar tissue manipulating. It sounds like witch-doctor stuff to me.

Having a MUA and scar tissue removal sets back your recovery. Although it is almost a year since your TKR, igt is less than 3 months since your MUA. So, consider that you are really only about 3 months into recovery.

Honestly, I think that it could be time to just give your knee a complete rest from all the therapy. It's probably saying "Leave me alone for a while, and see what happens. I've had so much done, and I'm tired."
 
@Celle my knee is truly tired! It's been through so much. My muscles were so tight that I thought it would be a good idea. After thinking about it - she focused on my knee and not my leg!! I feel like I've had a MUA! I'm taking off work today to rest and ice.
 
Well I saw an OS that specializes in revisions because I am still having issues at a little over a year. I am still stiff- ROM at about 95/100 and very weak and unsteady walking. After reviewing my file- notes and film he said the implant looks secure at-this point but my quad is terribly weak causing weakness and unsteadiness. He also said that my bone density is very weak and referred me to a specialist to begin treatment. He said that bone density could cause imlant loosening if not treated. He feels like the combination of the two is causing my troubles. He wants me to work on my quad strength and to follow up in 6 months to monitor it through x rays.

It's sorta bittersweet. I'm glad I don't have to face a revision --yet but more work to be done!
 
I'm glad you saw a revision specialist and that he has referred you for treatment for you bone density.

Do remember to start the quad strengthening gently and only increase the exercises gradually. It took your quad a long time to get like that and it will take a long time for it to recover fully. I know you'll want to try and speed it up, but beware of imposing too much strain on it. Gently does it!
 
Let's ask @Pumpkln about quad exercises. She knows more about that than I do.
 
You can start with the most basic while we are waiting for more. Do a "quad set". sit down with your legs in front of you---floor or bed is best, but the couch with your leg up works too. Contract your quad and hold it for 10 seconds. release. You can do this all day long---but it is far more realistic to do it 10 times 3 times a day. This is not a straining type of exercise---you need to wake up your quad and get it back to working.

I am impressed that your physician was able to diagnose your situation and to direct you to help. I think you need a good PT---did you get a referral to one? If not, you can call his office and ask for a referral to PT. Second it is very important to address the bone density issue---that can have lifelong effects.

When you are tired of quad sets, set or contract the quad and see if you can life it a tiny amount---a kleenix width off the table or couch. A stationery bike would be good for you as biking is non weight bearing. If you don't have one, ask your friends---I found two people who were using their bikes to store extra clothing!! My friend lent and eventually gave me the bike!! But, always start slowly. When I first had my TKR, it was hard to ride the bike for more than 5 minutes, but eventually, the time went up. Now, I ride for 30 min every day.
 
The chair pew activates the quads. Recommend you start with just a few reps, 3 - 5, to start and working up from there. I agree with Skigirl, find a good PT to work with you.
 
@skigirl I asked him about therapy and he kinda shrugged it off. Told me to just do the quad exercises on my own. I will take your advice and ask around for a stationary bike. I have a gym membership but rarely use it cause it's such a hassle getting there. If i had to look at a bike sitting every day, i would probably be motivated to use it more! I definitely will follow up about my bone density health. That news was surprising! Come to think of it, a few years before my mom passed, she was very wobbly and unbalanced (for 70 years young!) Makes me wonder if she also suffered from it!
 
@Jordon6 I also had a MUA back in June. After I had it done and was going for therapy my PT asked me to contract my guad muscles and I was unable to do it. This was after I mentioned to her that I felt like my leg was weak and tired feeling. She told me that sometimes after surgery or MUA the connection between your quad muscles and your brain is not there. This was about 6weeks after my MUA. She hook me up to a small device with 2 pads on my quads and it periodically shocked my quads...to wake them up and reconnect with the brain. It sounds like it would be very uncomfortable but it really wasn't. And it worked! I then was doing quad exercises and it wasn't long and I regained strength in those muscles and haven't any trouble since. Just wanted to share that with you as this may be a possibility that this would help you! Just a thought.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom