Guest viewing is limited

TKR Hepster's new knee!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your muscles will be sore and tight at first. Gentle is the way to go so you don't aggravate the already angry tissues. I did some light stretching but rest and time for healing was also needed.
 
Hi all, I'm 6 weeks post op now and think I'm doing ok. Still having quite a bit of pain so still on the pain killers. Also sciatica type pains down into my foot. Still not sleeping very well. I'm doing more round the house and go out for a short walk every day. I'm still using crutches out of doors. I've got my last PT session tomorrow and hoping my RoM has improved, it was 95 a couple of weeks ago but it has been that since the week after the op. I'm doing gentle exercises at home and icing and elevating loads.

The main problem I'm having is finding it difficult sitting on a chair with my legs down eg in the car or at the table. It's really uncomfortable. Thankfully I don't need to go back to work yet. (Although I am getting a bit stir crazy!)

Hope everyone is doing ok :)
 
Hi Hepster! Sorry you are having so much pain. I've finally gotten where some nights I sleep now - but then I've never been a good sleeper so I can't blame my knee surgery on that. :heehee:

When I started sitting up more with my legs down it was hard - my knee seemed to swell and not feel good....so I practiced having them down for a bit and then up. (first few weeks I went to church I kept my leg up on the pew during service!) Now I can sit all day with legs down - but my knee is tired by night time. If I get it up - laying down with toes above my nose seems to work best - for a couple of hours icing then I'm okay.

Good luck!
 
7 weeks post op now. Still painful, some days more than others. I've got sciatica in my operated leg as well which isn't helping. The pain is down the back of my leg into my foot rather than my knee.

I'm sleeping a bit better now thank goodness. ROM was 105 last PT session. Not using crutches now, I'm limping but I think part of that is habit as I limped before. PT has given me things to do to improve my walk.

Finally feeling like I can see the light at the end of the tunnel!
 
@Hepster. Hi had such bad sciatica that my chiropractor recommended that at the base of side of back where it hurts the most lean back on tennis ball. Helps and gives relief. I used to use that when driving put the ball behind me and relief felt good. Hope it helps you . susanne


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thanks Susanne that makes sense, I'll give that a go.
 
I'm coming up to 12 weeks post op now. Feeling much better on the whole but been back at work for a couple of weeks now and am feeling it! Even though I'm sitting down I have to use my right operated leg to work a pedal and it's hard to stay in one position for long. Luckily my employers are fine with me having a walk about every so often. A few weeks ago I was really in despair with the pain and not sleeping, and thought it would never end but it's probably 80% better.

still find it painful to walk too far, mainly because my left knee has also decided to play up and I'm getting that bone on bone pain with that one. I seeing the surgeon next week. There's no way I can get this knee replaced until next year for financial reasons, just can't afford another couple of months off work. At least I know what to expect now!
 
3 and a half months post op now. My operated knee feeling much better, just a little stiff and swollen and painful occasionally. Bad news is I saw my surgeon a couple of weeks ago and he confirmed my fear that it's looking like I need my left knee replacing also :( The pain has got so much worse from the odd twinge to full on bone on bone in a short time. Surgeon said it's my decision when I have it done but realistically I can't really afford to take more time off work yet.

I'm really suffering from sitting all day at work on a typist chair. My lower back, buttocks and thighs are so painful as the day goes on. I don't even know if it's anything to do with my dodgy knees! But I sat on the same chair before I had my op and didn't have this pain. I've ordered a special gel cushion to sit on and hoping it will help. Has anyone got any ideas?

I'm still not sleeping well, not because of pain particularly but I think I've just got into a bad pattern, nothing worse than lying awake until 4 am knowing the alarm will go off at 6 am!
 
Are you getting up and walking around for 5 minutes or so every hour when at work? If not, I suggest you do that. Your back problems may be related to how you walk with one recovering knee and one bad knee. Are you limping when you walk?
 
Thanks Jamie, yes I'm trying to walk about at work as much as I can. I also agree that the lower back pain is to do with the way I'm walking now. Hopefully when I've had my other knee done it will sort itself out. I just need to win the lottery so I can get it done sooner rather than later!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom