Help!! Scared!! Newly diagnosed with severe arthritis in hip!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lela22

junior member
Joined
Mar 8, 2016
Messages
74
Age
67
Location
Virginia
Gender
Female
Country
United States United States
Hi, I was just diagnosed with severe arthritis in my left hip. For years I thought much of my pain was my knee and another long term problem. I was shocked, as I am now a THR candidate in my left leg. I'm finding it more difficult to walk long distances, buckle a sandal. I limp going short distances. It's scary to think of surgery, but also limiting the way it is now. How do I know when to have surgery?? Also, I hear the anterior incision is the best way to go. Anyone care to elaborate?? I work, too, so need to recover as quickly as possible.
 
@Lela22 :hi:. Well just be assured this is THE place to be. You speak the words we've all uttered when we hear we need an Op to take away the pain and give us our lives back again. I, too, was terrified but the best ever thing I did was to find Bonesmart and really make use of the wealth of advice I get on a daily basis through the new friends and professionals on here. It was the realisation that I am almost housebound that woke me up to the fact that I want things to change. After weeks of solid support on this site I can assure you that I now feel in a much better place. I now accept that this is the route to a happier, more active and pain free future. Read @Cynthia777 's link and then come back with what actually bothers you and your fears can then be addressed one by one - you will find heaps of help is at hand. If you have a surgery date add it to your signature so we are all aware and can keep in touch. Best wishes :flwrysmile:
 
@Lela22 Welcome to BoneSmart! We have all been in this scary space. Yes, the diagnosis can be a bad surprise. But the good news is technology is on your side. THR is one of the most often performed procedures and the results are absolutely amazing. Post op all that bone on bone pain will be gone!
How do I know when to have surgery??
Sounds like your world has already narrowed due to this pain. Get this done now. As Cynthia says, delaying will only result in more pain and a possible collapse.
I hear the anterior incision is the best way to go. Anyone care to elaborate?? I work, too, so need to recover as quickly as possible.
All marketing hype I am afraid. Let your surgeon decide what approach and implant to use. They are the experts.

And approach will not dictate the length of your recovery. How you react to the surgery and indeed how far gone that joint is now, will impact this. Plan on anywhere from 8-12 weeks off work and if you recover quicker - that's great. There is a significant Energy drain for THRs and you just can't fight it!
 
Hi Lela22, I had a similar shock. I needed both hips replaced and I'm only 41. I'm one down and one to go at the moment and my advice would be to go for it as soon as you can. Once I had the diagnosis I though things would pretty much carry on as they had been and I would be able to work right up until the replacements but my right hip just got worse every day and the last few weeks before my operation were awful.
I wish I had found this forum earlier - you'll get lots of fantastic advice and reassurance here.
 
@Lela22 . Amazing isn't it, how we get the "gotta get a new joint replacement" and we start looking for others like us. I was told by an orthopedist about 4 years ago that I would need both hip joints replaced. He suggested I return every year for X-rays and to watch the progress (read deterioration). I chose not to. I felt like if I didn't go back the pain would just go away and he would be wrong and I wouldn't need surgery. I did PT, I exercised, I walked (mostly with pain) and I limped and slumped and complained about my back and my feet and made my family miserable. I had to back out of trips, say no to hikes and I couldn't climb steps in bleachers at ballgames or climb stairs at concerts. What an old poop I was. Finally it became do or just give up enjoying life. I found BoneSmart and read the information, read some of the threads of people just like me and I researched surgeons in my area who did lots and lots of joint replacements. When I went in for a consultation, he said I needed both done and ASAP. I was bone on bone and one side was wearing away the bone. Actually, I was in so much pain that I didn't mind how scared I was of the surgery. I decided nothing could be as bad as my hip and leg pain was. I wasn't sleeping well at night and I never knew from day to day how much activity I would be able to do. Someone once told me when I asked how I would know it was time to get my hips replaced that "You WILL just know". I just knew I couldn't go on and I wanted them replaced immediately if not sooner.

I'm done. Nine weeks out. No more pain in that hip. Resting without pain at night. Walking at least a mile or more every day and restricted only by the other hip that is waiting to be replaced. I wish I would have had the surgery at least a year before I did. I let fear and the unknown keep me down with pain and a limited life for far too long. It was not terrifying. It was magical and I wish someone would have slapped me hard up side the head and told me to wake up and start moving. I searched for a surgeon specializing in Anterior because a friend's husband had it done that way and she said he was walking about with only a cane within a week and was loving his new hip. I did too and I'm loving it. Research surgeons in your area. Read threads on BoneSmart - both preop and post op and you will see how crazy we are to wait a day longer than absolutely necessary to get our lives back. Join us! We have all felt the hesitation and now question why we waited. Welcome to the club @Lela22 . You'll get lots of hugs in here! :friends:--julie
 
I will add my "do it sooner , not later" to others. I wish I had! Last August I thought "I can put up with this level of pain"...by the end of September I had gotten so bad I could not take it.....then it takes months to get a surgeon appointment and you wait more months to find a slot for your surgery! Ugh!


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR in my future.
 
@Squirrellymom is SO right. How often do our stories tally? When I was told by a surgeon in plain English you have OA, you will need a hip replacement, it will not get better. I went home and thought I can delay this for a couple of years. A few months later I knew he was right and I was wrong. One bad hip turns out to be two bad hips and now I'm counting down the days. The pain diary I kept reminds me just how bad it was back then - and that is nothing compared to the debilitating effect it now has on not just my life, but my husband's too. It really does gallop at a frightening speed. I hardly recognise the person I have become. We are very fortunate to be in a position whereby we can choose to have this life changing operation!
 
Also, I hear the anterior incision is the best way to go. Anyone care to elaborate??

I know @Jaycey said that the approach doesn't make a difference in recovery time (and she is the expert!), but I just wanted to add my thoughts on this question. I had the anterior approach and for me I am so happy that I didn't have the posterior approach because of all the movement restrictions you have to follow afterwards. It is really nice not having to worry every time I move if I'm bending too far. I have zero restrictions for movement after surgery. I also would imagine that it might be more painful to have your incision on your posterior when you have to sit for long periods. I imagine it would be uncomfortable. But I could be wrong about that.
 
Hi @Lela22
I was so shocked when those words were spoken that I remember little afterwards. Roll on two and half years later, I had no life, "walked like a drunken duck" and was in agony. I did not believe people when they said I would wake up with no pain, and they were right, I have now had both done and have to get my knee done but it is worth it. I had both Posterior ops, but the restrictions are not that bad, use the "granny grabber" as my kids call it and the long shoehorn and you will be surprised how adept you get!You also get used to sleeping on your back, a big pillow and a small one works for me. Just don't leave it until you cannot bear it any more, it is not worth it.
 
I had the anterior approach and for me I am so happy that I didn't have the posterior approach because of all the movement restrictions you have to follow afterwards.
That is a popular myth. There have been as many people NOT given restrictions after the alternative approaches and even one or two with anterior who have had restrictions imposed. I keep saying, it's nothing to do with the approach, it's all to do with the surgeon's preference.
 
I see. Well that is the information that was being given at the pre op joint replacement class in my community. They presented it as clear cut that anterior had no restrictions and posterior had a lot. They even have it in the printed materials that were handed out. There were actually some patients in the class that were getting worked up over it and asking if they should get a new surgeon that does anterior.
 
It's took me three years from finding out I had arthritis to actually deciding to have the surgery. It as just hard for me to believe that I needed something as drastic as a total new hip. Yes, my surgery was done anterior. I'm glad I went that route, but my surgeon didn't seem to think it really made much difference which way. The recovery wasn't bad at all. First week a little rough, with constipation & just swelling and such. They have the pain management down pretty good. Physical therapy was minimal, I think a total of 4 home visits. I was able to drive at the two week mark, & life was back to normal by 4 weeks. By far the hardest part was the leading up to surgery, not knowing how bad recovery would be. It wasn't bad. Bills still keep rolling in though, good lord it's not cheap! One just showed up today, my insurance was billed $34,000 for just the surgery time, OR suite. So with the price so high this think better last 20 years!
 
Some surgeons prefer posterior because anterior has the higher risk of nerve damage. My mom and I both had anterior, and she had a patch of burning feeling on her thigh for a few months, and hers is simply numb (3 years out). I have a patch that is numb now, but no burning. Both approaches end up in the same place!
 
Some surgeons prefer posterior because anterior has the higher risk of nerve damage. My mom and I both had anterior, and she had a patch of burning feeling on her thigh for a few months, and hers is simply numb (3 years out). I have a patch that is numb now, but no burning. Both approaches end up in the same place!
I have a numb patch (no burning) as well; I didn't mention it to my doc as I assumed it would be temporary. :unsure:
 
I had a RTHR within 8 months of the first (of three) surgeons who told me I was heading in that direction. things Just kept getting worse. I had anterior, all the numbness in the area they cut is back to normal. I had surgery 10 months ago. I'm so glad it's behind me. Btw, I know people on here will disagree with this but I work FT and was back to work w/in 3 weeks. I took 2 weeks off and worked the 3rd week from home. It wasn't the easiest thing but I was mentally prepared. And my husband pretty much took the lead on everything else which helped (kids, cooking, cleaning, etc.). Good luck!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom