TKR Help! I've developed right hip pain 3 months after LTKR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My rom at nine months out in my rtkr is 137 - just measured last week so my PT could see how that knee ended up. My new tkr is 105 at two weeks out. I am hoping my left knee ends up close to that but I can already do full revolutions on a recumbent bike and am happy with that! I did not "work" at it but just got on with living my life normally! Lots of short walks was key for me!
 
Thank you @TexasTee. That's exactly what I was hoping to hear. Both of my heels could touch my bottom before surgery and of course my non surgery leg can still do that. I'd just like my surgery leg to bend further than it does now and as close as possible to where it was before surgery. Massaging the scar helps? Really? I've been doing that because my PT person said to but I had no idea it might help with ROM. How does it help?

You have to wait until Jan. Wow, that's a long time. I hope you aren't in pain.
 
@Jozilla. You didn't work at getting ROM? Even in PT? It seems PT concerns itself with flex and extension. Right now I need to work on stairs more than on anything else. Even though I want better ROM, I really need to be able to go up and down stairs in a normal way. That will take some work. Your Rtkr is nine months out, how soon were you able to do stairs?
 
As to massage - I've read so many threads and articles I can't even recall them and a quick search didn't find the one I was thinking of all but I think it makes sense that breaking up scar tissue and removing swelling would improve the range of mobility?

Time for the surgery is my choice - it's when I can leave my job for an entire 2 months without feeling like a slacker. Yes, I am an idiot. :)
 
I could do stairs (like a baby) the first few days. Normally did take me awhile - maybe two months but I was very hesitant. I actually did very little PT - eight sessions. I did the same thing each time - 15 minutes on recumbent bike, 15 minutes walking on treadmill and up and down one step - only up with the bad ( the opposite of what is usual. )
 
You are NOT an idiot @TexasTee! You're smart to plan this so carefully - it will greatly reduce your stress level, I'm sure. You'll also have time to read everything ever written about TKR!
 
@sunny-island Question - do you know the kind of implant you have and also, did they retain your PCL?

The results of this study showed that patients with posterior cruciate-retaining TKRs had the least pain and best results when their knee flexion motion was 128 to 132 degrees. There wasn't much difference in function for patients with range of motion just above or below these figures. But stair climbing was improved with motion between 133 and 150 degrees.

https://www.eorthopod.com/content/optimal-range-of-motion-after-total-knee-replacement
 
@TexasTee I believe it was @Lovestoread that had an minimal invasive surgery. She might be better to answer any questions about that.

@sunny-island I massage the area above my husbands knee (where his tight band area is) every night and I believe it does help because the area that is bunched and hard is getting smaller, it also helps reduce swelling because it gets the fluid in that area loosened so that when you elevate it can drain down easier.
 
@TexasTee. Mine is a Stryker implant. I don't know anything about retaining my PCL. It just makes sense that the greater the flex, the better. Thanks for the info!

@tiredwife. I've been massaging that tight band and pressing my thumbs into it with rotating motions. I'll do more of it. That area of scar tissue is the main problem. Thanks for giving me a solid reason to keep doing it! I am SO determined to get my ROM back.
 
@sunny-island On hubby's first knee the tight band just magically disappeared one day. It was day 56 post op. Be glad when it leaves this knee. Remember people gain ROM up to a year or more after TKR you have plenty of time, it will happen.
 
Oh gosh, day 56 is just a few days away for me @tiredwife! I know, I know, each of us is different and our recoveries differ as well. I shouldn't compare my recovery to anyone elses. Nevertheless, I'll check to see if it's there on Day 56! You are right, ROM will continue to increase for a long time. No one ever accused me of being patient.
 
Good news for you Sunny - not all implants have the same potential for flex - the Stryker reports 150+ so it's at least conceivable for you to reach your goal. Bonus!
 
Oh my gosh! @TexasTee.. That is the best news I've heard all day! My ROM pre-op was over 150, so maybe I can actually reach that again. You have so much information - have you decided which brand of new knee you want? I did know that the Stryker knees were good. I don't play golf but we live near several golf courses and there are lots of serious golfers here. They favor the Stryker implant. I had heard good things about it. But I chose my doctor not my implant brand and it just happened that he used Stryker. He's supposed to be the best knee surgeon in this part of the Southeast. People come from other states to see him. So I trusted him to chose the right implant for me.
 
Good luck Sunny - I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

My OS is going to try to do MAKOplasty - which is a partial - requires a CAT scan so that the measurements are precise. I'm quite active with no desire to give that up and he thinks there might be enough lateral cartilage that it will work. Frankly, I'm skeptical but willing to try, the result is a much more naturally functioning knee.

There is no down side - if he opens me up and sees that there is not enough or holes in the cartilage then he will switch to a normal TKR so nothing lost. The implants he uses are Smith and Nephew - theoretically more naturally shaped and provide improved ROM plus made of a material that is unlikely to cause rejection. Proof is in the recovery though! I think the most important part of the implant is that your OS is comfortable using it. I saw 3 different OS's in my quest to NOT do this and the first 2 said that if they were replacing, they would go to my guy. SO. There you go!
 
@TexasTee. I wondered about a patial but my OS said it wouldn't work for me because of the damage to my knee. That was fine with me as I really this to be a once and done thing. My knee should last the rest of my life. I was pretty active until this started slowing me down. My husband wants us to be able to hike again, for instance. That should be possible! I'm impressed with how much you know about all of this. It makes me realize how much I didn't know going into it! I was determined to have THE best surgeon and left the rest to him. I hope reading about all the recovery problems doesn't scare you away.
 
I also had a CAT scan tkr using the Depuy Trumatch system. I am amazed at the fit and do think it must make a little difference. My legs were also straightened which I believe comes down to a great OS doing ligament work. For the first time in my life I am not bowlegged!! This has also relieved a lot of pressure off my back and hips! @TexasTee you have a great background doing your homework. You will do well!
 
@sunny-island congrats on your progress so far. I keep reading how this is a journey and you have come a long way. I also picked my OS based on his reputation and skill and trust him to use the implant he is comfortable with. Mine will be a Smith and Nephew. No chance of a partial for me either. Best wishes for continued improvement and reaching your goals.

@TexasTee I understand about planning to be off work with minimal impact. I started my pre op appointments in late Jan then decided I just wasn't ready and it wasn't a good time for me to be off work. Fast forward to now and I am out of excuses (being scared of the surgery was my main problem).hoping for a surgery date late Oct or early Nov.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom