TKR Help! I've developed right hip pain 3 months after LTKR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there,

YOUR FIRST FOUR WEEKS HAS ONLY JUST BEEN COMPLETED!! :yahoo::yahoo:

A bit less pain? A bit less swelling? A bit more movement of the joint?

YOU ARE MAKING PROGRESS, SO WELL DONE!! :happydance::yay::happydance::yay::happydance::yay:
Relax with a small tipple of your choice and celebrate the first four weeks of your recovery. :flwrysmile:


Best regards,
:cheers:
Ian
 
Well, it IS good to be at the one-month milestone, that's for sure. It snuck up on me. Who would ever guess that a month like this one could fly by? Day by day it did NOT fly by but looking back, it seemed to. Now I'm starting month two. Thanks for your cheerful note @Dutto. A tipple of my choice, is it? Maybe soon. Right now that doesn't appeal to me -- but it will eventually! And at that point I'll want a lovely dark red wine...

The treadmill thing worries me. I've stayed clear of treamills for years mostly because of my knee which is now new but old fears die hard. My new knee doesn't seem ready for a treadmill but maybe it is. My PT said he only wants to have me on it for about 5 minutes. I have to decide by Friday morning whether I'll allow it or not.

Someone here told me that the narcotic pain meds are responsible for my small appetite. Well, I'm slowly cutting back on those meds, knowing that I'm soon to need a new Rx and will be given something less strong than the Oxycodone I'm now taking. It works pretty well and I hope the new med does, too. I'm wondering as my appetite returns and my activity level remains low, will I start to see my weight go up? No! I'm going to have to be careful.

Off topic but how can I change the name of this thread? It doesn't make sense any more.
 
@sunny-island you could tag in an advisor and ask them about changing your thread name.
I think it is too early for the treadmill. Maybe you can suggest to PT that you just walk around the room for 5 minutes instead.
Yes when you get off the meds the appetite will come back big time! Hubby lost a lot with knee one, but gained most of it back before knee two (all in a 10 week period) so you will need to be watchful.
You have a great day!
 
My Mum knew a thing or two about pain and she always advised NOT taking pain relief medication BEFORE doing ANYTHING that could cause or increase pain.

This advice was given on the basis that pain is the body's response to something that is doing it harm and masking it with pain-killers will only make things worse.

No-one should stop or reduce their pain medication but equally I believe that taking pain-killers before carrying out PT can be masking the fact that the body is asking you to stop.

As I have commented earlier, good luck to any PT who tries to hurt me or get me to hurt myself!

It just isn't going to happen!:egypdance::egypdance:

Best regards,
:cheers:
Ian

PS

I could do with shedding a few pounds so really looking forward to the suppressed appetite of pain-killers! :chinstroke::chinstroke:

Does it work for wine and whisky?? :whistle::whistle:
 
My philosophy was to think in terms of nutrition for healing. @Poppet has some good articles on this I believe in the Library. I wound up also eating some not so healthy things--ice cream anyone? It's summer. :) But now that I'm more healed I can start thinking in terms of watching my weight--and I'll be able to be more active over the next months too.
 
@Dutto. I believe that, too. In fact I asked that very question (wouldn't taking pain meds just before Pt mask pain and possibly cause damage or injury?) at the pre-op appt at the hospital when all of this was being explained and somewhat glossed over. I was told that they recommended that patients take pain meds before PT, period. She said if we hadn't had pain meds recently when the hospital PT would come to get us, they would wait and come for us later. She seemed to think my question was off the wall. Now that I'm post op, I do take pain meds before going to PT even though I'm not sure I should.

@tiredwife, @kneeper. Right now my appetite is slowly coming back and I'm trying to be careful. It would be so easy to put on weight during this period of very little activity. I'd really hate that! I've started weighing myself everyday just so nothing sneaks up on me. Healthy eating is important - I hope I can be good....
 
This is going to be a long Post. Sorry!

My understanding
of "pain control" and the reasons why it is put in place is that they know the knee(s) will hurt for quite a time after the operation.

The reason for this pain is that damage has been done to the bones and tissues in the knees and during the healing process the body provides pain as a reminder to NOT move the damaged materials.

However, not moving the damaged tissues can have a major side-effect in the form of "adhesions" whereby the damaged tissues heal and at the same time attach themselves to places where they are not supposed to be.

If the adhesions are allowed to form the movement of the knee will be severely restricted and subsequent movement will require the adhesions to be torn away so that the joint may be free to move.

This is an extremely painful situation and in severe cases the patient may have to return to the hospital to have the adhesions torn away under general anaesthetic.

So here's the rub, during the healing process:

1. The formation of adhesions can only be prevented by moving the joint on a regular basis.

2. The joint must be moved to the maximum angle permitted by the swelling and inflammation.

3. Moving the joint will cause pain.

So that's why you are recommended to take pain killers before PT; the hard bit is maintaining the balance between "benefit" and "cost"!

I haven't had a TKR yet but the reason I need one is that 47 years ago I smashed my left knee to bits hitting a lamp-post on a motorbike. The knee-cap was pulped, the knuckle of the femur was broken into four pieces and the splintered end of the femur came through the side of my leg.

For "pain relief" I was given:
Day One:
o A shot of morphine when I arrived at A&E (which was fifteen miles away from where I had the accident),
o General anaesthetic when the removed the remains of my knee-cap and put me into traction.
Day Two:
o Eight 500mg of Paracetamol
o One shot of Pethidine to allow me to sleep.
Day Three:
o Eight 500mg (4 x 2 tablets) of Paracetamol.

Er .... that was it!! The Ward Sister decided that I was getting "Addicted to Paracetamol." (her words) and stopped them. I have to confess though that fluttered eye-lids (I was better looking in those days) did get me a couple of smuggled tablets from a susceptible nurse at 2am on Day Four when I couldn't get to sleep because of the pain!

I then lay in traction for four months. Discharged from hospital in a plaster spica my knee was kept unmoving for a period of nearly six months! Adhesions had formed, the movement of my knee was limited to about five degrees and trying to go beyond that limit was extremely painful.

I despaired of ever getting back to "normal" but tried my best. Then one day I took my children to a paddling pool here in Skegness. I was managing to walk with the aid of two crutches so I went paddling with them.

The two crutches shot out from under me on the slippery bottom of the paddling pool, my good leg shot out from under me for the same reason and the foot on my left foot stayed exactly where it was as my full weight went down and bent my injured knee to the maximum available angle.

The pain was excruciating but the adhesions were removed and my rehabilitation started from that date.

I sincerely hope that I can cope with the pain of a TKR sufficiently to prevent the formation of adhesions; and I will try to keep the pain-killers to a minimum so that they don't mask and potential damage.

I hope this helps. :egypdance:

Best regards,
:cheers:
Ian
 
@sunny-island Yes hubby has found it was easy to put the weight back on after his appetite came back from the first knee. It would have been different if he had been back to work. Just don't skimp on the protein because your body needs that to heal.
 
@Dutto. Wow! What a story! I guess I don't want adhesions, do I? Doesn't it take a bit of time for them to form? If I'm doing some PT and/or walking each day, won't that alone avoid their formation at this point in the healing (I'm at one month post-op)? You've waited a long time to get a new knee. After what you've already been through I would think you are well prepared. The pain med I take before PT does not remove all sensation of pain but it does lessen the pain. This is working for me.

@Celle, @tiredwife, @madinana, @happymum, @kneeper. Today I finally asserted myself and fired my PT guy. I didn't put it that way to him but that's what I did and he knows it. I said I was going to go someplace closer to where I live. I've found a new PT who has a philosophy of therapy that sounds a lot like Bonesmart. I'm so excited about this! No more heading off to PT in fear. Today my ROM, at home, is 108 degrees. I'm so pleased.

My doctor started me on Norco today and so far it seems just fine. Maybe not quite as strong as Oxycodone but still it seems to be working. I won't know for sure until I've been on it a full day.

Next big step - am I ready to go out for lunch? I'm trying to decide if I can spend a couple of hours with my leg not elevated. My husband has been so wonderful through all of this and he thinks it would be super if we could go out for lunch Sunday as it is our 46th wedding anniversary. He knows I won't be up for a dinner date but maybe a lunch outing would be good. I think I'll be able to do it and I really do want to. We'll see!
 
Hi @sunny-island

Congratulations on firing your PT! I hope that your new one is more suited to what you need.

Don't get the idea that adhesions are always there, just waiting to pounce if you don't exercise enough! Nobody here advises sitting around doing absolutely nothing. If circumstances force you to lie like a log for weeks (as Dutto did), then adhesions can form. Just gentle exercise can prevent this, whereas too much exercise can irritate and inflame your soft tissues, which makes them more susceptible to adhesions.

It's a month now since your surgery, so I think you could try going out to lunch. You and your husband deserve an outing by now and you certainly have something to celebrate. :loveshwr:
Just ask him to choose a place where you can be served fairly quickly, and where you can cut the meal short if you are getting too uncomfortable.
I hope you enjoy the outing!
 
Way to go @sunny-island ! I agree with Celle--make it a fairly quick place,but do it. It will feel good to get out and about to somewhere that's not PT :)
 
Hi @sunnyisland,
Woot woot! So glad to hear that you have found a nicer PT, well done. I'm very jealous of your fantastic Rom :)
I say get dressed up and have a lovely lunch, stay as long as you can as 46 years together is certainly something to celebrate. Congrats x
Cheers from Deb
 
Norco is definitely NOT as strong as Oxycodone. Phooey. I kept waking up all night wondering if it was time for meds. I'll have to adjust. Pain level is lower now than it was so I'm sure it will continue to go down.

@happymum. You shouldn't be jealous of my ROM. It's just as you said earlier, as the swelling is going down the bend is going up. My good leg is something like 155 degrees, so I have a ways to go! (Yes, I do understand the new knee might not bend that far...but I can hope!)

We're definitely going to go out for lunch on our anniversary. It's funny how exciting such an everyday thing suddenly is. We do have a lot to celebrate! As for getting dressed up, my knee is still in charge so I'll be wearing shorts with a pretty top. That's how most people here in Florida dress anyway. I'll wear diamond earrings to bling it up a bit!
 
I've been watching this thread for awhile and have to tell you how relieved I was to read you've changed your physio. Whew, I think you'll enjoy less excitement on rehab days. And really, you shouldn't fret about changing your physio - we're all very different and you need to find a like-minded person you can trust for the journey. You probably wouldn't agonize so much changing your lawn mower man if he kept cutting the grass too short and you'd quickly stop ordering takeaway from a place that doesn't cook your food the way you like it. It's a service not a judgement about a persons character. Move on! Bring on the new and enjoy your anniversary lunch.
 
@dovemck You are SO right but I had never looked at it that way. Funny that you would use "the man who cuts the grass..." as an example of a service we would easily change. A few months ago we did just that. Our new yard guy is super, if the new PT is as good I'll be thrilled. I spoke with my new PT before making an appointment. She doesn't believe therapy should go beyond the point of pain but acknowledges that it can be uncomfortable at times. That sounds reasonable. The sessions will last no more than an hour. Where I WAS going the sessions were often two hours long. If it weren't for Bonesmart I'd still be there.

I see that your LTKR was done on July 30. Just a few days before mine. How are you doing? Has your recovery been acceptable so far? Do you have much pain?
 
@sunny-island I am thrilled that you fired your PT! Way to go!
Congrates on your long marriage! I agree that you need to go out, pick a place that serves fast, and that maybe has a booth so you can put your leg up. Make sure you elevate when you get home. Have a good time.
 
Hi there,

Great ROM! :egypdance::egypdance:

With a ROM like that you are keeping ahead of any adhesions because they form pretty quickly, as explained by this extract removed from another site:

They stretch across the walls of the knee joint, binding the surfaces and limiting movement.

Initially they are easily broken with knee movement, but later the adhesion tissue matures into scar-bands and these thicken and make the knee stiff. When the knee is stiffened by adhesions the condition is called arthrofibrosis.

The reason knee surgeons order CPM (continuous passive motion) and early mobilisation is to prevent adhesions forming in the first place. Once formed, if caught early enough they can still be broken with manipulation under anaesthesia (MUA) but if this is unsuccessful they may need to be removed surgically.

I quote your first Post ....

My flexion is at 90 degrees. Improvement is extremely slow.
​
Really??

EIGHTEEN DEGREES of improvement in ELEVEN days is "Extremely slow"?


I think you are doing just great! At this rate you will be able to bite your own toes by Christmas! :flwrysmile::flwrysmile:

Best regards,
:cheers:
Ian
 
These post are really helpful, as I will be have LTKR on September 12. I was worried about the PT due to hearing some horror story. I think I will take Ian's suggestion and tell them in so many words to leave me alone. From my understanding from others that have had TKR it takes time. Don't rush back to trying to complete the things you were use to doing it will come in time. This to shall pass!!!
 
@Dutto. Point well taken! When I first posted that my progress was slow I wasn't as Bonesmart educated as I am now. My OS likes his patients to reach 90 ROM before being discharged from the hospital. I hadn't reached the magic number. Then I got started with my PT and heard more of the same. Things are different now. No one is pushing on my leg, I've found a new PT and I'm doing dome PT and walking home. I ice and elevate a lot and so the swelling is going down. I'm very pleased with my progress now. Yep, I expect to be sble bite my toes well before year end!

@CityGirl I might not be the one to give advice yet but I'll suggest that you talk with several PTs in your area now. Find someone before you have your surgery. You could save yourself a lot of trouble later! I'd ask each of them how they approach PT after TKR. Since you've done some reading on BS you have an idea of what to look for.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom