TKR Hello, new here. RTKR Jan 2024

PaintandPlay

Country
United States United States
Hello, Just found this Forum. I had my first TKR 1/17/24 on right knee. I am currently been doing PT three times a week but next week will start twice a week for at least next 3 weeks. This is the hardest thing I have ever done and unfortunately I did take a fall this week (tripped over furniture) - Tues. Called on call ortho nurse who asked if weight bearing okay and any new pain unexpected pain. I said no and have gone to pt Wed and Fri. No problems doing the pt, I have a very small light bruise at the lower bottom part of the surgical knee about the size between a dime and a quarter. As I am 7 weeks out I still have swelling around the knee. After reading some post here of history of falls feel like I probably just made my knee a bit more angry for a few weeks. I am looking forward to gleaning from all you post TKRs.

:welome:Hi and Thanks for joining us! I will start you out with our Recovery Guidelines and type more in a post below.

KNEE RECOVERY GUIDELINES

As you begin healing, please keep in mind that each recovery is unique. While the BoneSmart philosophy successfully works for many, there will be exceptions. Between the recommendations found here, your surgeon's recovery protocol and any physical therapy you may engage in, the key is to find what works best for you.

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary.

If you want to use something to assist with healing and scar management, BoneSmart recommends hypochlorous solution. Members in the US can purchase ACTIVE Antimicrobial Hydrogel through BoneSmart at a discount. Similar products should be available in the UK and other countries.

2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
the BoneSmart view on exercise
BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
Activity progression for TKRs
The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

Nutrition is of paramount importance. Available here are dietary tips, nutrition basics and additional food supplements. These articles are both general advice on food and specific guidelines aimed at people both pre- and post-surgery.

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Hello Paint and Play!
I am sorry to read about your fall. Thankfully you're okay and it didn't affect your implant.
I believe icing wherever you are experiencing pain from the fall, in addition to wherever there is swelling, will help ease both. Swelling can occur for several months post op and you may notice it increase with certain activity or when you overdo it. Normally it slowly eases over time. I hope you enjoy reading others threads and will feel free to let us know if you have any questions. I wish you only the best as you continue healing and hope that you enjoy your time here. :)
@PaintandPlay

Falling is one of the biggest fears after this surgery. I'm sorry to hear that you did, but am glad that you caused no damage. Your soft tissues will be more painful for a few days, more than likely. But, that is normal. Even if you have a fall without having a TKR, it takes a few days to get over it. Ask me how I know! :heehee:

7 weeks out I still have swelling around the knee.
That's totally normal! I am 12 weeks post-op and my knee still occasionally becomes inflamed if I overdo it. Icing always helps.

I'm glad you didn't hurt yourself when you fell, but please baby that knee for a while. :console2:

Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope you've recovered from the fall. Please consider an update when time allows.
Wishing you a great week! :)
@PaintandPlay

Hi all, Just an update since the fall at 7 wks post op. It was rough for a week as my knee bruised up again around the area of the knee that contacted the floor and the knee was with more swelling than had been experiencing. I was also very timid and walking with a more pronounced limp due to fear of falling again. Now two weeks since fall doing much better, swelling is as was previous to fall and bruising gone. I am walking better, doing pt now 2x wk instead of 3 x wk. My current flexion if 124. At 9 wks PO I finally started sleeping at night for more than just an hour at a time. I will say......becareful all don't fall it did give me a setback on my progress.

Wanted to add one interesting thing I had never heard of; when I told PT about my fall the therapist used a tunning fork on my knee in several places to see if it caused pain, it did not. He explained that if there was a fracture the tuning fork vibration would be painful as it would cause the broken bones to vibrate. Never heard of this, thought it interesting.

Thanks for the update, @PaintandPlay! So glad to read that you are doing well now, in spite of the fall. Your flexion is excellent for just 9 weeks post-op.

Just keep in mind that you are still early days in this year long recovery. Be careful not to push yourself into pain during your PT sessions. Also, keep icing and elevating to minimize pain and swelling.

Please do keep us posted on your progress.

Hi all, I'm 12 weeks post RTKR today. Cleared last week to stop PT and doing well. I actually think my knee is doing better, less swelling and better ROM since NOT going to PT and just doing my own exercises at home. Like some others have said the PT clinic wanted to push and shove on my knee when measuring, seems wanted to show improvement to record with every treatment, I mean I was at 125-130 range but they kept pushing....if last session was 129 - they wanted 130, if last session was 130 - then wanted 131. Really, when went to doctor he said rom was good by having me demonstrate without measuring. Think the PT clinic has too much emphasis on numbers.

Congratulations!!! :flwrysmile:
You really are doing well and we hope to see you celebrating more real life milestones.

less swelling and better ROM since NOT going to PT and just doing my own exercises at home
Amazing and great news! Glad you're doing so well, have completed PT and received a nod of approval from your OS. You're on your way, P&P! :walking:

Thanks for posting updates. It lets us see down the road as we are walking the journey at week 7. My pt is very concerned about numbers . The support here has been helpful to know it ok to say no and go at your own pace.

Hi there PaintandPlay :wave:
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
Enjoy the rest of the week and stay in touch. :)
@PaintandPlay

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
kneequery
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom