TKR Hello from new member 8 weeks post op, persistent rash

jbailey

new member
Joined
Aug 12, 2016
Messages
4
Age
75
Location
Oregon
Gender
Male
Country
United States United States
Hello, I'm posting this on behalf of my husband James who had a TKR in the U.S. on 6-17-2016.
About 2 weeks post-op, significant edema developed on the surgical leg. On the advice of the on-call surgeon, we went to the ER where they did an ultrasound scan to rule out DVT (blood clot), which turned out negative. That was 6 weeks ago, and although the swelling is better, it never totally goes away even after lots of rest, elevation above the heart (according to the FAQ here) and ice. But that's not the primary concern, as we know swelling is part of the healing. It's the rash that developed at week 6. It started out looking like bug bites, and it is summer and mosquito season, so we applied calamine lotion. It continued to spread quickly into angry red raised areas on the skin. We emailed the surgeon's nurse these photos (below). They advised we see husband's primary care physician (PCP). The PCP ordered another ultrasound (negative for DVT) and a blood test (negative for infection, cellulitis). James visited the surgeon's assistant (she said she hadn't seen a rash like it, and suggested discontinuing compression hose, as it might be irritating the skin). The surgeon's assistant also said that in over 600 TKRs, their office has never had a pt experience an allergic reaction to the implant. James visited his PCP for a follow-up, who prescribed prednisone (currently at the beginning of the 10 day course), and yesterday (8/12/16) James saw his dermatologist who said it is hives, and expressed some concern that this could be an allergic reaction to the implant (nooooooo! our worst nightmare!!!). Here are some photos...the rash continues. One theory the PCP shared was that it could be the skin's reaction to swelling and stretching, like a contact dermatitis.

Our hope is that others on this forum can share stories of rashes/hives that resolved over time. Sorry for the length of this post. If it weren't for the edema and rash, my hubby feels he would be so much further with his recovery. Otherwise the knee feels great. By the way, he discontinued narcotics around week 5. He takes Tylenol 2x day if he has aches or pain, and it does the trick. He's back at work 1/2 time (sedentary job) and he takes it super easy and rests when at home.

Thank you in advance for your feedback and input. These photos were taken 10 days ago as of this writing on 8-13-16. But it still looks pretty much the same. Perhaps not quite as raised and as red. Sometimes a new hive shows up on his arm or non surgical leg, but doesn't present as significantly.

Thank you in advance, Ann & James

Right TKR June 17, 2016
Left knee Arthroscopy (lateral release) April 2000
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Hello from new member 8 weeks post op, persistent rash
    IMG_4894.JPG
    109.9 KB · Views: 13,014
  • [Bonesmart.org] Hello from new member 8 weeks post op, persistent rash
    IMG_4895.JPG
    108.3 KB · Views: 4,113
  • [Bonesmart.org] Hello from new member 8 weeks post op, persistent rash
    IMG_4896.JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 4,807
Last edited by a moderator:
That is a scary looking rash----I am glad that a dermatologist is involved with the process. I will also tag @Josephine , our forum nurse, for her opinion.

In the meantime, I will give you the recovery articles from our library that we recommend to new knee owners. the articles are short and easy to read.

First are the BoneSmart Recovery Philosophy. . .

- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds according to your prescription, don't wait for pain to occur, don't overwork.
- If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
- If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it.
- If you won't die if it's not done, don't do it; if you must do it, short and sweet, not hours on your feet.
- Don't stand if you can sit; don't sit if you can lie down, don't stay awake when you can go to sleep
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

Next is a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) thread.

The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs

Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Activity progression for TKRs
Heel slides and how to do them

Extension: how to estimate it and ways to improve it

Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling

Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?
 
So did the dermatologist prescribe anything? I have had hives most of my life but test negative for all allergies. No one knows what causes them (idiopathic). Does the rash itch? Hives usually do. My hives are usually controlled with OTC Allegra, an antihistamine. Has he tried any antihistamines?

Edit - hives usually get worse if you scratch.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
For the hives/rash he is taking Prednisone (10 day course), cimetidine (histamine II blocker) and Zyrtec. He had been on Fluocinonide cream, but his PCP d/c because it didn't have any effect.
 
Those prescriptions should cover the rash if it is hives or eczema. Looks pretty bad. I've never had that much at once. Perhaps he needs to ask his OS or PCP for testing for an allergy to the metal in the implant. I can tell you one thing about hives - if you are prone to them, any slight skin irritation can get them started and then they will blow up big time especially if you scratch.
 
Hi jbailey,I'm the one that had a rash from an allergy to my implant. I am allergic to nickel. An allergic nickel rash would resemble a burn and usually follows your incision. Most likely it isn't the nickel causing problems,although there are a lot of other metals you can b allergic to and the cement.
If you look at the rash,it follows the incision. Nickel rashes also look like a burn,at least for me.

[Bonesmart.org] Hello from new member 8 weeks post op, persistent rash


Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
 
I wonder about the pain meds---I know that morphine causes some folks to itch. I wonder if the rash is caused by a pain med.
 
  • Agree
Reactions: pdx
Skygirl that is exactly what I was thinking. My husband is alleric to the generic form of morphine and he swells up and gets the same type of rash

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
 
I had a rash post op. It occurred about 3 to 4 weeks after I had surgery and lasted about 1 month. Was very itchy. Tiny red bumps, so looked nothing like your rash. We never did figure out what the cause was. Never showed up anywhere else on my body...only on my TKR leg...and never reoccurred. Used hydrocortisone cream on it for the itch.
 
If this rash had developed right after surgery I would wonder if it was caused by the skin drape because of the location of the rash but I don't think it could develop 6 weeks after it was removed.
 
I have a friend allergic to morphine. She develops a similar rash. Did you take morphine for pain?
 
Hi all, thanks for the replies. No, never took morphine...for the first 5-6 weeks I took Tramadol 50 mg b.i.d (one in the morning, one at night), then I titrated off that. While on Tramadol, I also took an occasional dose of Oxycodone (5-10mg) during the night if I had night pain that woke me up.

The hives/rash started after I d/c Tramadol, but while I still took the occasional Oxycodone. I'm off all narcotics now...interesting..that's when I began taking Tylenol. Could I be allergic to that? I take Extra Strength Tylenol as needed, but no more than 1000 mg in a 24 hour period. FYI the rash is subsiding with the Prednisone and antihistamines. Fingers majorly crossed that the hives will STAY AWAY. Edema is ever present. This weekend I've been elevating and icing like crazy. The rash started on my calf as a nettle dotted rash, then spread.

@borymms4 I followed your thread and really feel for you. Sounds like you're doing a lot better with the revision and gold plated knee. For what it's worth, the rash I have has never really been around the joint or incision. Not sure that it's an indicator of anything, but I would love to think it means it's *NOT* an implant or cement allergy. Thanks for your reply.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@jmp65 Thank you---this is my hope too...that the rash will go away never to return. Your story gives me hope!
 
I am hoping he has been tested for shingles. The rash runs along nerve pattern. After my THR I had a bout of shingles. Very painful and needs viral meds

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
 
sannykent, I def. Am doing better then bfore my revision. It is a slow process but def. Better. As for ur rash,all I know is about the nickel rash. If it is cause of nickel it would b on ur replacement and it follows the incision and will spread outward from the incision. Sounds like mayb it was medicine related. Hopefully it goes away for u soon

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
 
If it were shingles it would be painful and have weeping blister like eruptions.
 
Thanks everyone. Glad to hear you are doing better. Blessings gs to you and family

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
 
It sounds to me like a reaction to the skin prep.
 
So sorry for such an extreme rash. Only on the affected side and good time after surgery is a challenge. So glad it's receding. People are talking about nickle allergy. I told med team up front I had an allergy to nickle so I figured the appliance just didnt have it...
Get Better and stay Better!

Applepie Bilateral TKR 7/28/16
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom