Guest viewing is limited

TKR Hedie's recovery thread

I'm going on my second week of pt. I started with 75 bend and thur i was at 85 bend. Straighten my leg seems to be the hard thing. Pt is going good. The best part is the ice when I'm done lol. Hopefully if I can get my knee to straighten. I can be off the walker soon. Work is fine, i still elevate and ice all day.
 
Before getting out of bed I do some leg extensions to straight, then some gentle bending. I also do the ankle pumps. Then I jump out of bed, race down the stairs, and head out to the back lawn, where I do 6 to 8 cartwheels and a dozen somersaults in a row. :rotfl:
 
I saw my surgeon today. Im 5 wks post surgery. We got into it today. She mad thst my leg is not straight. I explained I have been doing the therpay she told me i have not. I said yes i have she told me i was not doing them right. Then she walks out the room. Will let me tell you. I donot care who you are. You will not talk to me like that. So we got into it. I grab my folder gave it to her and walked out before I lost it
I was so ticked off. Realistic i just started Therpay 2 weeks ago. How straight should my leg be. How long did it take you? Im so mad i just might skip my next appt witn her.
 
How frustrating. I don't care how high and mighty surgeons are, there is no excuse to be rude like that.

I am not having that kind of issue for the surgery, but I've been fat all my life and I have plenty of experience with doctors telling me I'm lying or I'm stupid and I don't know what I'm really doing. How does that help anything? Statistical outliers are a well known part of statistics. Why do that balk when they meet one of us?
 
Most of us don’t have perfect extension at 5 weeks. It takes time for that to happen after reduced swelling and healing. I don’t remember when my surgeon said he was happy with it, but it was way after 5 weeks. He never made a big deal about it.

I personally would not deal with a doctor who had those expectations of me and treated me like that.

In my future knee replacement all I need a surgeon for is to install my new hardware and prescribe the initial pain meds. Bonesmart and I can handle the rest of the recovery.
 
Last edited:
I'm sorry your doctor treated you this way. Just keep doing what you're doing.
 
It is nothing unusual for extension to take much longer than the bend to come in. My OS new that and let me work on it at my own pace. All I did for it was to walk with longer strides with a heel to toe foot placement. I believe your doctor's action was unacceptable! No one should treat you the way he treated you. Good for you holding your temper. I don't know if I could have done that.
 
Knee is warm and blotchy. I think i might have infection
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Hedie's recovery thread
    20190823_213702.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 203
@Hedie. do you feel like you have temp? You might want to contact your OS or GP that is on call if so .. if it were me I’d do that or go to ER if you think it might be infected.. be safe. Definitely have it checked. Let us know... thoughts and prayers :prayer:
 
I was just checking to see what you'd decided to do. I'll check on you in the morning. Praying for no infection.
 
I hope everything is ok...definitely let us know!!
 
It normal for the knees to be warm after this healing. Mine also would be different colors at different time. The more I walked on it, the warmer and darker it got. It was the lightest first thing in the morning if I had, had a good night. Warmth is a sign that healing is going on. You want it warm, but not hot. Maybe you can email a photo to your doctor.
@KarriB, would you tell Hedie your symptoms of your infection?
 
@sistersinhim I was thinking it might be from over doing it. Thank you everyone. I do not have temp which is good. I'm going go watch it today see if it gets better being off my feet. If it doesn't then i will go to the er and get it checked out. I just hope all it is that i did to much yesterday.
 
It normal for the knees to be warm after this healing. Mine also would be different colors at different time. The more I walked on it, the warmer and darker it got. It was the lightest first thing in the morning if I had, had a good night. Warmth is a sign that healing is going on. You want it warm, but not hot. Maybe you can email a photo to your doctor.
I had the "mood knee" for a while too.
 
My knee has attitude. Sometimes its good and sometimes it is stiff and hurts. I feel like every step forward i take 2 back. I have fluid and scar tissue in my knee. My bend is to 94 but my straight some days good and some days cant do it. Some days I regret this surgery. Hope better days are coming.
 
I'm sorry you're feeling so down about your progress. You didn't have to option to coddle your knee as it would have preferred, so I expect slower progress isn't a real shock. But it is progress, and you will get there. Please dont' regret. Slow or not, every day is progress, where before, everyday was part of the endless downward spiral.
 
You aren't even two months out from this major surgery. Your knee isn't even 1/6 of the way healed. The swelling and stiffness is normal. Some days are worse because you probably did more that day or the day before. When you ice, elevate and rest for a few days, then your swelling will decrease and your ROM will improve. It's a cause and affect thing. If you do more than your knee is ready for then it will become more inflamed and swell more. Pay attention to what you are doing and then how your knee reacts. If you let it be boss, you'll have an easier time of it. Doing too much causes setbacks. Your knee isn't out of shape, it is injured and needs to heal.
 
My knee has attitude. Sometimes its good and sometimes it is stiff and hurts. I feel like every step forward i take 2 back. I have fluid and scar tissue in my knee. My bend is to 94 but my straight some days good and some days cant do it. Some days I regret this surgery. Hope better days are coming.
That is so normal at this stage. Just keep taking it slow and steady and listen to the knee. Don't let PTs force it.
You're experiencing the rollercoaster that is recovery. Hang in there. :console2:
 
The doctor is putting me in a brace extension. Has anyone use this?
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom