• SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE. BoneSmart will be unavailable from 8:00am - 10:00am CDT on Tuesday, May 21, 2024 due to required systems maintenance and upgrade.

If you are unable to log in, please check back later and the maintenance should be completed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

THR Heal first, then exercise, then dance!

I'll still find time for Jane Austen because she makes me laugh!

@bickypeg , Yes, Austen is one of my all time favourites (after I warmed up to her), with her wry wit.

My husband adores Christmas, however, and would miss all the folderol, noise and enthusiasm. I envision, in my fantasy world, escaping to a gorgeous mountain retreat (the sort where SOMEBODY ELSE has installed a gorgeous, festive holiday tree, the food is good and room service is impeccable).

@Barbaraj , Same with my Hub--he has four grown children and all the grandchildren, and he is deeply embedded every year in their festivities, including 20 or 30 people for a big turkey dinner, and all the associated 'noise and enthusiasm'. I, meanwhile, have previously had an inclination to crash and burn as Christmas approached (but maybe not any more with my new, improoooooved personality! :) ) Is there another elephant in the room?-- people who find Christmas the most depressing time of the year. My father thought it was SAD syndrome; he came to life again when the days started getting longer in February.

@Mojo333 , this THR experience also gave me insight into the lives of people with infirmities. I have a sister in a wheelchair, and I never realized how much her husband does for her 24/7 until I got into the same vulnerable situation myself, and needed Hub on hand for the simplest things. Now I marvel at my sister's consistent good humour, easy-going ways and optimism. This whole experience has been a real game-changer for me.

This whole experience has been a real game-changer for me.
I feel the same.
Four months post-op was my biggest turnabout...so great that you are doing well and giving this recovery the patience and respect it deserves.
It will serve you well!:loveshwr:

I am always somewhat amused, @An54, at the fact that the male partner in a relationship is more often the overly enthused one at Christmas (not enough experience with same sex couples). I personally think this is because it's the female partner who bears a disproportionate burden of making all the happy stuff happen at the holidays. I am the one who makes up the Christmas lists, plans and cooks the too numerous meals (the one who gets up at 6:00 AM on Christmas morning to make sticky buns for the familial masses arriving at 9:00!), decorates the house, etc. Not that my husband doesn't contribute, he does, but the lion's share is mine which is why the evening of Christmas day I'm collapsed in a chair somewhere swearing to myself that we are NOT doing this next year, only to find next year rolling around and--no surprise--it all starts up again. But maybe recovering from hip surgery will provide an excuse to really roll it back a bit this year--sounds like you've found the courage to do what YOU want, which is wonderful. Who would have thought it would take major surgery to finally make you take a stand?!!

Last edited:
Loving these posts! I am another one who would just like Christmas to go away.... to be fair hubby can cook a very good Christmas dinner and he and I would take turns to cook dinner for his parents. But I hate the force feeding that seems to come with Christmas. With the exception of the “Carved Angel” Christmas puddings which are exceptional.

One year I would love to go somewhere tropical just to experience it there and to see whether I would end up missing Christmas in England after all.

I do enjoy popping over to France and shopping the Christmas Markets. Love the atmosphere and the air smelling of mulled wine and ginger and spices.

I Hate Christmas office parties. Didn’t go last year but felt I should sign up this year. You are not a “team player” if you don’t go. Enforced Secret Santa’s, forcible wearing of Jolly Christmas Jumpers and all the rest.....Bah Humbug...!!

SAD syndrome is real for me and I always cheer up when the days get longer again. A few years ago I started taking Vitamin D from
October and believe it helps.

Also (FWP alert) going to the Caribbean in January for the first time 20 years ago changed my life. It made such a difference and got me through the worst part of winter. I now save up every month so that I can continue to do this. I have a birthday near New Year so the timing always sucked when I was younger. . Now I postpone celebrations until I get into the lovely warmth and throw a party out there. Hard work but worth it.

I hope everyone has a great Christmas whatever you end up doing....hmmm turkey or Goose?!

Sounds like a wonderful idea @An54 and it's great when those you hold near and dear are on board!
That's half the battle. Getting everyone herded together and hoping they're happy to be together.

It is a demanding time of year and with grown married children and grandchildren, it becomes even more difficult. Your kids leave the nest and gain another's family traditions to join in on also. We took the kids to Florida for Christmas one year and hailing from the frozen tundra, it felt weird! While the weather was beautiful somehow a blown up Santa Claus sitting on a dried up lawn looked so wrong. It felt like the Floridian's were pretending it was Christmas :heehee: Can't say I'd never do it again but it really didn't feel like Christmas to me.

I'll bet you have a wonderful time in Halifax. I've never been. Will it be similar Christmas weather as the weather you'll be leaving behind at home home? Just think how much better and stronger your hip will be then! Something else to celebrate :)
I hope you have a nice weekend :SUNsmile:

I am the one who makes up the Christmas lists, plans and cooks the too numerous meals (the one who gets up at 6:00 AM on Christmas morning to make sticky buns for the familial masses arriving at 9:00!), decorates the house, etc.

@Barbaraj Yes, a lot of work is right. I 'did' a few Christmasses (sp?)-- hosting & cooking everything including the turkey and two kinds of dressing (one vegetarian) and all the roasted vegetables, etc. For me it was two or three days preparation, as I would start by drying fresh bread for those 'stale' bread crumbs needed for the all-important dressing, in which I also used seared mushrooms & celery, maybe diced apple--it varied from year to year; I tried to be creative with it.

However I don't eat turkey; I went off meat at age 17, and have had zero desire to switch back. Also, several years ago I was diagnosed with celiac disease, so even the vegetarian stuffing made with normal bread is off limits. So a turkey feast doesn't have much appeal for me, and even less if I'm the one running around doing everything, and handling a large dead bird.

( As an aside about the celiac -- the symptom that triggered my diagnosis of celiac was a recurring rash around my neck. I also had chronic digestive troubles--but never knew it because I thought a three-ring-circus in the belly was normal. My stomach has gone from circus to peaceful church. My family doctor recommended my siblings also get tested. They did, through a simple 'transglutaminase' blood test. Two of my four siblings tested positive through the blood test, and both were confirmed by way of an endoscopy. My sister was asymptomatic, but her transglutaminase reading was over 160, whereas normal is something like under 20. My reading was "off the charts" as my blood test only read up to 100. Also, several children of those two celiac siblings also have celiac. It can be invisible, and is insidious. The old model of the skeletal celiac person is no longer applies. )

Also (FWP alert) going to the Caribbean in January for the first time 20 years ago changed my life. It made such a difference and got me through the worst part of winter. I now save up every month so that I can continue to do this.

@SurreyGirl , I used to dread the approach of winter. Having sunny warm plans does make a difference. Speaking of plans, at the moment I have a ticket to Halifax. When I tell people my birthday present from Hub this year was a one-way ticket to Halifax, they're not quite sure how to take that :) But it just means we haven't decided on step 2--where we meet after Christmas. One idea floated was to meet up with Hub in the Caribbean, straight from Halifax (or Toronto) . Recommendations?

It is a demanding time of year and with grown married children and grandchildren, it becomes even more difficult. Your kids leave the nest and gain another's family traditions to join in on also.
@Layla , With my four siblings and all their children and increasing grandchildren, and Hub's four kids and all their families and in-laws etc, we'd have to rent a large hall to get everyone together. So I have just peeled off gently, like a leaf from the family tree, being blown across the country for a little Christmas journey, and will land gently in Halifax. My family lived in Nova Scotia for generations, and I have never been there.

@An54 I know a lot about the island of St Lucia and the place where I have timeshare has a lot of Canadians staying as it is owned by Ellis Don. It is a villa resort so plenty of privacy but plenty to do. Set on s big hillside and shuttle service takes you personally to your villa. Can get busy but is very social. Rental
And timeshare. One does not have to stay all inclusive and we prefer to make our own breakfasts and sit on the balcony being entertained by the friendly birds. The views are fabulous. I would call it a solid 3-4 star. I have also been lucky enough to stay at some true 5 star places on the island. Do message me if you want specific info. Btw I am not a travel agent and we don’t let our place out :)

Hmmm...seems like a lot of folks (all women, I'm noticing) are ready to chuck the holiday season and escape! I have to say that going somewhere warm isn't what I'd like, just somewhere where I get to be a complete bum and don't have to produce any meals. I refuse to do turkey, my brother-in-law hates ham which would be my preference, and mother in law doesn't do spicy. I do a lot of pork tenderloin and pasta dishes! I can't imagine having celiac disease--sounds like it would cut out a lot of the foods (baked goods!) that I find so appealing. Thus far I have an iron stomach, although certainly have likes and dislikes, but never found a food that didn't agree with me. At least you don't have a problem with dairy--I have a friend with that, and never being able to eat good cheese again--shoot me now! And am I understanding you correctly, @An54, you are taking this trip by yourself? Oh, how lovely. Love my husband dearly, but would love to wake up in my fantasy mountain lodge on a king size bed, sleeping spread eagled by myself. Okay, he can come after I'm awake and stretched, bearing the bloody Mary and gifts...

Last edited:
At least you don't have a problem with dairy--I have a friend with that, and never being able to eat good cheese again--shoot me now!

Yup, that would finish me off. I love cheese. I could found a religion based on cheese. I write poetry about cheese (posted in the poetry thread here--proof!!). Hubby, covered with a nice cheese sauce, would combine my two greatest passions. ;)

And am I understanding you correctly, @An54, you are taking this trip by yourself?

@Barbaraj , Yes, I'm one of those odd people who enjoys travelling alone. I mean, travelling alone in the right countries: Canada, UK, Ireland, Curacao, Rarotonga. Not so keen any more on adventure travel, dragging back packs on and off chicken buses. I figure I'm allowed to be lazy now, as I did my rough hostelling/ Khyber Pass style adventures in the Olden Days. Now I'm ready to be served up a real hotel room (the kind grown-ups stay in), real restaurant, solid infrastructure.... so my traveling-alone penchant is qualified.

Three months and two days post surgery update:

Let it be stated for the record that yesterday I left home, walked around for a couple of hours to run errands and vote in the civic election--and felt entirely normal.

This walk was significant because the odd tweaky feeling running down my op leg was finally gone. This delightful 'normal' was celebrated yesterday evening at a dinner/dance. I interpreted the end of the tweaky phase as my body telling me it's safe to take the next step. So I got up on the dance floor with Hub, and danced to about six old '50s and '60s songs in a row (yes, I veered from instructions given above; I blame wine-induced euphoria), and even snuck in a few 8 count triple steps here and there. Then we walked home from the venue, about a half hour walk.
I wondered how I would feel this morning, but so far, so good. I am keeping my fingers (but not my legs) crossed.

Awesome! How fun to get out with hubby for dinner and some dancing.
I like 60's music. I listen to it often when I'm cleaning the house, it gets me moving.
So a couple hrs worth of errands, dinner, dancing and a little vino with hubs and you're feeling great :yes:
She's on her way back....watchout! :happydance: :yay:
@An54

@An54
That all sounds just fabulous. A great example of life after THR. You must feel so,pleased with yourself.
Well done

Thanks @Bionic , but I won't get too complacent until the six month mark. And I hope my recent post doesn't come across as smug or boasting or anything like that . I don't mean it to be that way. Sometimes I wonder if I should even be posting updates here at all. As another BoneSmartie mentioned, it feels like an insensitive thing to do when others are in pain and distress, to post things like "Yay--I was out dancing last night!" My thinking so far (and someone please tell me if I should shut up!) has been that if I continue to record my recovery here on the forums, it reflects better the spectrum of recoveries from THR. If I get too complacent now and crank up the vigorous activity too soon, ending up with problems, revision etc, then that too will end up being part of this narrative. Hmm, I'm getting garbled I think. Hoping some of what I am trying to say makes sense.

I will be up for a THR on my left side too at some point, so we will see how that one pans out.

Well an envious congratulations from me but lovely to see your very careful approach to recovery has paid off.... enjoy your dancing!

What you're saying makes sense. I don't feel it comes across as insensitive, or as bragging.
We all understand Recovery is different for each of us. We come to surgery with our hips in varying degrees of deterioration. Add to that pre-existing health issues, rate of healing, adequate sleep and diet, and the list goes on. We're not all going to heal within the same time frame. I think the great majority will be happy for you. You've been kind, caring, supportive and encouraging with others. I can think of no reason why we wouldn't we want to share in your victories. Please continue sharing.
@An54

Thank you @Layla . I have to confess that I feel kind of wretched and guilty at the moment (stupid, I know!) As I have been reading through more threads this morning, my heart goes out to those in pain, and I ask myself again why should I post updates that may depress others rather than inspire them. I have been trying to embody the Rest Cure . I'm not so much 'pleased with myself' as I am pleased with this slow approach to healing--slow, like ketchup. @lovesstars :) For learning about this approach, I thank the many threads and advice on these forums, and I also thank @Alitm for her comments on the healing of horses. When animals heal, it seems to me that it must be a purely biological process; animals aren't saddled with conscious goals, the work-ethic, or declare themselves a certain type of personality who will speed things up through sheer determination, etc.
I'm at three months; I'll see how my 'passive' experiment on my own body looks at six months.

@An54
I dont think it's insensitive to post good progress. People often post when they have problems and want opinions on their aches and pains and that in itself gives a skewed picture of recovery.
It's lovely to hear of people doing well.
I am sort of one of those people, or would be if the knee on the other side wasn't playing up so much. I am so pleased with my hip but am not able to capatalise on it YET. If my knee goes anywhere near as smoothly as the hip I will be very happy.

I had a decent recovery also @An54, really can't complain. I do understand while reading day in and out of other's pain and struggles that mentioning our lucky fortune may be mistaken as gloating to those whose recoveries are taking more time. It may irritate some if you only shared victories but that's not the case. You've shared struggles and have graciously supported others.

We run the risk of offending someone here everyday. Mentioning "husband" to those who lost theirs. Posting about children to those who weren't able to have them. Talking about ice machines to those who can't afford them, or lift recliners to those making due with their broken in sofa, etc. You get my drift.

Lastly, if you undergo another THR which we both may, whose to know how our second recoveries will go.
That is still unwritten....

Just keep doing, you. You're doing fine and adding the balance the forum needs.

@An54: There is absolutely no reason for you to feel guilty for a positive post. For someone like me who is at the beginning of this journey(THR on 10/1) it is inspiring and hopeful to see a recovery like yours! None of us knows when we begin this journey how things will work out. That is one of the reasons I read many different threads leading up to surgery - to be prepared for any outcome and to accept that no 2 recoveries are alike. It was important to me to read both kind of posts but remain positive and hopeful that my recovery would be trouble-free. So far so good - I just returned from having lunch with a friend and am now icing, not in any pain, just a little sore. Slow and steady does it for me. Just to be able to walk with no pain is such a blessing!

Thanks @Bionic , but I won't get too complacent until the six month mark. And I hope my recent post doesn't come across as smug or boasting or anything like that . I don't mean it to be that way. Sometimes I wonder if I should even be posting updates here at all. As another BoneSmartie mentioned, it feels like an insensitive thing to do when others are in pain and distress, to post things like "Yay--I was out dancing last night!" My thinking so far (and someone please tell me if I should shut up!) has been that if I continue to record my recovery here on the forums, it reflects better the spectrum of recoveries from THR. If I get too complacent now and crank up the vigorous activity too soon, ending up with problems, revision etc, then that too will end up being part of this narrative. Hmm, I'm getting garbled I think. Hoping some of what I am trying to say makes sense.

I will be up for a THR on my left side too at some point, so we will see how that one pans out.

@An54 ...I just want you to know...and I think you know...that I have been watching your posts and finding so much value in your process because I have needed to be so careful as well. Thank you for being the Grand Dame of the Grand Rest. :) :-) (:
:) :-) (::) :-) (::) :-) (:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
buyvalium10mgon
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom