TKR HaylingIslander Recovery Thread

I said the same thing on someone else's thread a week or so ago. If docs that did mostly knees were "forthcoming" they'd be out of business. And most of them never had tkr. They'd have a new attitude if it happened to them. He was honest.....after the fact LOL
Sounds like you're doing great!
 
I'm ashamed of limping and walking so slowly
I totally understand. I felt the same. My limp was so ugly for a while and I was so slow. Everyone stared ): I knew I shouldn’t care but I did.
Don't know if that's because I started driving?
Anyone experienced more aches on driving?
Oh yes. Driving was my knee’s least favorite thing for a while there. It still doesn’t love it, but it used to swell up and feel awful every time I drove. Much better now! It starts feeling a little stiff if I drive a bunch, but normal trips are ok.
I know others have reflected on here "who knew we were in for such a long haul"
Ain’t that the truth!! It does get better though! With time and patience.
 
To the 'newbies on this thread. My TKR was almost 18mths ago and when folk said it was an ongoing recovery for a year or two, I thought 'yeah, right'. Well they WERE right and I am still improving.

I had a 'good' op. in as far as it was fairly pain free [I religiously took my meds on the dot] and a quick recovery although I was very uncomfortable for a month or two and a decent sleep eluded me for months but one thing my wonderful physio told me was, don't have any fear of appearing a wuss [my phraseology] if you need to use an arm crutch or a stick at times.

Apart from the fact it steadies you when you might feel a bit tired, it lets others know to keep their distance or give you space. Use it as a badge of honour and not a slightly pathetic item you'd rather dispense with. And if it stops your fear of falling...RESULT!. :)

My name says it all, I was scared stiff and put it off for years but it was the best thing I did. Have faith, it will be great for you all too.
 
At first I was self conscious going out with a cane but then I thought "you gotta do what you gotta do!" :)
 
Apart from the fact it steadies you when you might feel a bit tired, it lets others know to keep their distance or give you space. Use it as a badge of honour and not a slightly pathetic item you'd rather dispense with. And if it stops your fear of falling...RESULT
Agree. Also helps to get a priority seat on the bus or train!
 
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I believe you started back to work last week, at home, with plans to return to the office a couple days next week.
Hopefully you're able to make a smooth transition. Please let us know how it goes for you.
Wishing you all the best!
@HaylingIslander
 
Feeling down today.
Now nearly 9 weeks and feel no further forward than at 6 weeks.
I do my exercises ice elevate but nothing seems to work.
Went out out (uk will get that ref) Friday for meal with friends. Didn't want to make a fuss asking for table to be moved out. So pushed my knee more than it was happy. Although felt pain it eased off and I could stand and walk OK.
I just want to be fixed.
Sick of hearing of all those with great flex.
It's not for want of trying that I can just about get in my car!
Rant over!
 
I found those weeks 6-10 pretty dispiriting as my recovery has also been pretty slow.
You are probably doing more than you were at 4- 6 weeks and the extra activity can make you feel stiff/ sore and that no progress is happening.
Also people have crazy expectations and start asking stupid questions- like " Aren't you better yet?" which is really infuriating!
I found my fitbit useful for recording what I was doing. Otherwise I would agree with someone here who suggested writing down once a week what you can/ can't do. You will then see small improvements which gradually build up.
 
I found those weeks 6-10 pretty dispiriting as my recovery has also been pretty slow.
You are probably doing more than you were at 4- 6 weeks and the extra activity can make you feel stiff/ sore and that no progress is happening.
Also people have crazy expectations and start asking stupid questions- like " Aren't you better yet?" which is really infuriating!
I found my fitbit useful for recording what I was doing. Otherwise I would agree with someone here who suggested writing down once a week what you can/ can't do. You will then see small improvements which gradually build up.
Thanks for the empathy.
I think you're right about the doing more and so feeling more pain and stiffness.
And tell me about people assuming you're fixed by now.
 
Feeling down today.
Now nearly 9 weeks and feel no further forward than at 6 weeks.
I do my exercises ice elevate but nothing seems to work.
Went out out (uk will get that ref) Friday for meal with friends. Didn't want to make a fuss asking for table to be moved out. So pushed my knee more than it was happy. Although felt pain it eased off and I could stand and walk OK.
I just want to be fixed.
Sick of hearing of all those with great flex.
It's not for want of trying that I can just about get in my car!
Rant over!
Sending hugs @HaylingIslander It's tough going isnt it? I can't even imagine going out out yet. I can't sit in a chair for more than 5 - 10 mins at the moment. Visited parents today, sat in chair with leg up for 10 mins and knee swelled more. You did really well to have a bit of pain but no stiffness or mobility problems so that's a great achievement. I look forward to being able to do that too.

I can't remember who it was that suggested taking note of your weekly achievements as Ealinggran suggested but think it's really good to see how far you've come so far, even if it doesn't feel like it sometimes.
 
We're just 6 days apart. I love your rant and totally get it!
I went out socially for the first time on Fri afternoon. First time in 9 weeks. I've tried before, but the knee wasn't ready.
Wonderful time and it was good for the soul. By 2 hrs I was done LOL. The knee wanted to go home to ice and elevate. Didn't feel bad the next day
Now that I'm a social butterfly, the next day we took our son and his gf out to dinner. 2 hrs, knee is done.
I paid for it on Sunday and a bit today.

Its still early times, but sounds like you're doing well. Getting in and out of the car is a bit tricky with right tkr. Lefty had me driving at 5 weeks.
Don't hate me, but I have great flex:rotfl:
Extension is lagging, but I know it will come along.

Hang in there, it gradually gets better!
 
So yesterday went into the office.
Had agreed I could use disabled parking so I could fully open car door and they thoughtfully provided a leg rest to elevate.

The positive stops there! I'd planned to do some stretches in shower room at lunch. Shower room out of order. Was going to elevate in a booth in restaurant at lunch, all booths taken!

By the end of the day was in a lot of pain. So tight I was worried I would not get back in car, but I did!

My knee does not like driving I've decided.

Have week off now. I hope things will be better next time I venture to office.

Any tips?
 
Can you take ice packs or your ice machine into work? You could then
put some ice/ cool water sleeve on under the desk.
I would also try to just get up every 45 minutes or so to walk around. I do a little work from home ( about one day/ week) but it involves meetings where I can't leave for up to 2- 3 hours. I find sitting harder than walking about. I move my foot and do ankle pumps under the table which helps.
If it is still bad when you go back, I would ask to see Occupational Health and see what reasonable adjustment can be made- such as possibly shorter hours/ doing some work from home etc.
 
So it'll be 10 weeks Tuesdsy. Feel like I'm standing still. No pun intended.

I'm not in the pain of the first couple of weeks and sleep reasonably well most of the time.

But my normal pretty hectic life has resumed and If I'm honest my knee feels worse now that I can't take it easy like the first 6 weeks.

Any tips on how others managed this stage? Like if you're tight on time and just need to crack on?

I don't even know what my post is about. It's just rest ice elevate is not going to cut it. Argh.
 
If you can't take the time to ice and elevate, then try taking Tylenol up to 4000mg a day, counting everything that you might be taking that contains acetaminophen,(Tylenol). Some people take ibuprofen, but you need to be very careful with it, it is an NSAID and can be harmful to your stomach and heart.

Is there any way you can stop during the day and ice and elevate, like during lunch and/or breaks? That would help.
 
@sistersinhim
Just looked up Tylenol and it is paracetamol in UK. Some days I take the full measure,some days one dose less. Guess I need to take full doses every day.

I tend to avoid ibuprofen as it does not suit my stomach. May have to relook at that if this carries on.

I'm off work for a few days but my mum has taken a turn for the worse in a care home. So fitting in all chores I'd planned for these non work days, plus visits to mum and liaison with family and health care.

I have physio on Tuesday and want to check I didn't do my knee any damage last Fridsy when I sat down awkwardly when out with friends.
 
I tend to avoid ibuprofen as it does not suit my stomach. May have to relook at that if this carries on.
I'm right there with you. If you find you need to take it, make sure you have something on your tummy. Protein takes longer to digest, so something with that would probably be better to eat to help your tummy. Also, a Pilocet-type pill would be advantageous.
I'm off work for a few days but my mum has taken a turn for the worse in a care home. So fitting in all chores I'd planned for these non work days, plus visits to mum and liaison with family and health care.
I'm so sorry to hear about your mom. Life does still happen to us after we have these surgeries and we have to struggle through the best we can. :prayer:
 
That is really tough because 10 weeks is still quite early and your knee still needs as much rest/ ice as you can- if you are going to be more active.
I am 21 weeks post pkr and can now walk regularly 10000 steps and some days 15- 17 thousand but still like to rest/ ice and my knee can get a bit warm/ sore by evening.
You are just going to have to try to cut corners where you can - food delivery/ pre- prepared meals/ help with cleaning ( or ignore it!)- to make time for some rest.
All the best.
 
Back
Top Bottom