Having TKR on Jan 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

.Tommymack

I'M having my left knee done first as its the knee with the oldest problems.I feel that I could get back to work in two months or so I'm a plumbing and heating mechanic. What do you think. I also need to do the other one at sometime.

Having TKR on Jan 9
.Tommymack, so please you have joined us here on the forum. I think back to work in two months may be a bit optimistic. I am going to give you links to articles from our Library that are essential reading for anyone considering a TKR.

Groups A and B are essential reading, Group C is useful, and Group D is just good information; but you will need it all.

First are the mantras: - rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!

And then the articles in order of importance :
Group A
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Progression of activity for TKRs

Group B
How Long Does Healing Take ......
Chart representation of TKR recoveryEnergy drain for TKRs
Elevating your leg to control swelling and pain
Using ice

Group C
Knee Replacement - Where Am I in Recovery?
So What Is It Going to Take?
The Five “P’s” of Knee Recovery
Work “Smarter” and not “Harder”
About recovering a knee - from one who knows!
Some suggestions for home physio (PT) and activity progress
Myth busting: The "window of opportunity"

Group D
MUA (manipulation under anaesthetic) and adhesions
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's Worth the Wait for ROM
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

I know this is a bit overwhelming, but the articles are not lengthy and are packed with info that you need to prepare yourself for knee replacement. Knowledge is power, and the more you know and understand about TKR, the easier everything about it becomes.

We are here to help you in any way we can: answer questions and concerns; support and encourage you through the whole process; give you a place to vent, whine, complain if you need to; and to share experiences with others on the forum.

Take care of yourself and keep us posted. We care.
Having TKR on Jan 9

Hey there Tommymack!
Well, you'll have to see how you are doing after 6 weeks or so. Unless you absolutely must go back, though, I'd suggest waiting another month and make it more like 10-12 weeks.

Does your work require a lot of walking, climbing, standing or can you sit and put you feet up between appts or at work. Can you be on desk duty or light duty for a few weeks?

Usually standing and walking causes swelling for awhile, so if you are able to elevate your leg and ice it that helps. I picked up some of the chemical instant cold packs to use at work and that helped when I didn't have ice available.

Good to have you on the forum!

You're a plumber? Then I;m afraid I'd have to say it's a) most unlikely and b) unwise anyway. People do get themselves back to work at 6/8 weeks but usually they are office workers or something and even then they regret it big time AND it sets their recovery back as well. They also find the need to ice during the day and put their leg up for periods. I doubt you'd have much time for that would you?

You see, 8 weeks you'll still be in the 'angry tissue' stage with swelling, some pain and kneeling will be out of the question too. I know if you are self-employed you are feeling the necessity to get back to work but think about it - unable to kneel or crawl around in cupboards and such. Plus the very real risk of adding about 6 weeks to your overall recovery - is that really worth it?

However, bearing in mind that it is your knee and you are more than able to make up your own mind about this, perhaps you would find this article interesting - it's a protocol I apply to all returning hip and knee replacement employees where I work Phased return to work.

btw, where are you? You haven't entered a country in your profile .......

Hello! Welcome to the forum! You have been given some very sound and sage advice---and read those articles---they also have great information in them, too.

I agree with the others---I went back to the classroom at eight weeks after my BTKR, and i was much too early! While I could do things, I paid for it in spades, as they say---I was stiff and sore for quite sometime, and, looking back, I now realize that going back when I did lengthened my recovery process and time. I was stiff and sore by the end of the school day for about four months, and it was not until about five months that I lost a pesky little limp.

Many of us, myself included, did not realize the extent of the surgical trauma that the knee sustained during a TKR, and it takes time---lots of time---to recovery and let the knee lose its "anger."

Consider that you will be sliced open, sawed up (two bones!), pounded, and manhandled (they are not very gentle with this!), glued, and finally sewed back up. Some say it takes a year to return to normal---and I agree.

I will say, though, that after everything that I went through, I am amazed at how great I feel---and yo will feel the same way, too!

Pleae keep coming back and posting and let us know how things are, where yo live, etc.

Hi, Tommymack.....welcome to BoneSmart. I have to agree with what the others have said. Your particular job is demanding physically and you knee most likely won't be ready for that at just 8 weeks. Keep good thoughts, but do make a Plan B just in case you are not ready to go back.

Hello and welcome! I am glad you found us!

I agree with the others, you have a physically demanding job and might not be ready to go back so soon. It can delay recovery and just cause misery by returning before the "knee" is ready.

Even through I hear all the others, It might be you could. What I am trying to say is I don't know. If I remember right you spend a lot of time on your knees when working so the knees are going to tell you if you can or not. Step back and take a day at a time and don't make any plans like that for right now. Tashia

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017