TKR Having TKR in April

kidwithaknee

Country
United States United States
I hoped I could schedule my TKR during my break from work (am educator - so Spring Break) but doc is not available, so I am scheduled for April 1st. I will be working online only for Spring Term. I was pleased to find out they can do a spinal block rather then general anesthesia as I have past issues with it.

Is there a forum that discusses the different types of replacement joints?

Congratulations on getting a surgery date, @kidwithaknee !

Please let us know whether it is the left or right knee you are having replaced so we can complete your signature.

As a rule, we strongly recommend that you choose a surgeon you trust and let the surgeon chose the type of prosthesis that is best for you:
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis

I will share BoneSmart's helpful pre-operative guide here -- you will find many of these articles helpful as you prepare for surgery.
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

Also for tips on how nutrition can help you prepare for surgery, see: dietary tips and nutrition basics.

The website and app My Knee Guide can help you stay organized and informed. The free service keeps all the information pertaining to your surgery and recovery in one place on your smartphone. It is intended to be a personal support tool for the entire process.

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing knee recoveries

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. So feel free to ask any questions you have about this surgery and recovery; our members will be happy to share their experiences with you.

Thank you for the great information!

It is my left knee. I posted in here a while back because I am pretty nervous. I've had five surgeries on the left knee starting in 1981 (I was 9 y.o.). At 12 y.o. I had the Houser procedure, I've known this was coming for a long time, now that the time is here I am really stressed.

Thank you for the great information!

It is my left knee. I posted in here a while back because I am pretty nervous. I've had five surgeries on the left knee starting in 1981 (I was 9 y.o.). At 12 y.o. I had the Houser procedure, I've known this was coming for a long time, now that the time is here I am really stressed
My Initial post, if you read it lacked empathy necessary for this forum. If you read it, I apologize. My message is still appropriate however. April 1 is a while away. Between now and then, get yourself physically and mentally prepared. It takes the energy you use being stressed for a positive purpose. It will make your recovery much smoother. Make sure you do things now that makes your heart sing. You got this! We are glad you are here.God Bless!

Last edited:
Is this my personal thread? Just want to make sure I am using this right.

I am getting pretty freaked out. Surgery is actually April 2nd not 1st. I found out yesterday the surgeon expects me to spend the night as my prior surgeries make things more complicated. I have a friend who will be here with me the first week - after that I will be relying on a few folks who have offered to do errands and cook a bit (I only moved here a year and a half ago and don't have real close friends.

In addition to the joint the surgeon said he has to add a kind of spacer to prevent the vertical movement my leg does - i tried to illustrate it and I cannot. I'll see if I can find a pic

This is the best I can do
1711141167511.png
wobbles side to side

Last edited:
Is this my personal thread? Just want to make sure I am using this right.
Members may create as many threads as they like in the pre-surgery forum. Feel free to continue to use this thread or to start others if you have questions on a different topic.

Once you are post-op and start a recovery thread for yourself, we ask that you maintain just one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier for us to go back and review history before providing advice and also gives you a diary of your recovery.

Also, I have corrected the surgery date in your signature and one of the admin's will correct it in the team thread shortly.

Best Wishes tomorrow!
Please join us on the Knee Recovery Forum once you're back home and feel up to posting.
We will have some Recovery Guidelines to share along with lots of support to offer.
Hope to see you soon!
@kidwithaknee

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
FirstroundSAFS
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom