Guest viewing is limited

having spinal & nerve block for TKR

Status
Not open for further replies.
HAve had it done both ways....would always go for the spinal. i remember most of it...it did not bother me. But I had the choice of being asleep. Mostly i chatted with the anethstetist and critiqued his choice of music ha ha !

Liz
 
I had a spinal and nerve block. I don't remember a thing. The doc said if I did have any issues, he could have me totally under in 15 seconds, but it was not an issue at all. I did so much better afterwards that I would go this way again and I'm a real wimp in the hospital, well, in general I guess. So no worries to anyone going that way.

The nerve block lasted a couple of days, maybe 3, but I was able to walk on my leg fine and it helped get me through the first few days.

Skeet
 
I am a retired anesthesiologist and have given many spinals and epidurals for THR and TKR. Bottom line, they are really safer in the long run. There is a reduced incidence of blood clots post-op vs general anesthesia. That's a very big advantage. Also, mentioned earlier, you are pain free post-op for several hours and longer if the anesthesiologist keeps the epidural in and gives post-op meds for a day or so. You will probably never remember the surgery because you are usually given sedation during the surgery which produces amnesia to events in the OR.
When I have my THR or TKR I will insist on regional anesthesia (spinal or eipdural).
Hope this answers some of your questions concerning anesthesia.
PS- General anesthesia is also very safe these days with the modern agents and monitoring equiptment but I still give the edge to regional.
 
Thank you for adding your expertise to our discussion. I was totally happy with my spinal/epidural and will certainly insist on the same combination next time around. Leaving the epidural in place was a tremendous advantage and one I would recommend highly. My transition through the first few days post-op was much easier than many I have heard about and I know it was due to this combination of anesthesia and pain meds.
PS. The only thing I worry about is whether I was awake during the surgery (I had Versed so I don't remember) and what in the world I might have talked about! Hope I was pleasant!
 
HAve had it done both ways....would always go for the spinal. i remember most of it...it did not bother me. But I had the choice of being asleep. Mostly i chatted with the anethstetist and critiqued his choice of music ha ha !

Liz

Hi Liz, Haven't seen you around lately, how are you doing? Where abouts in Canada are you? Hope to hear from you again, Sue
 
Hello,
I had TKR of rt knee in October 07. I am going back for the left one in May. Honestly, I don't know how anyone can do both knees at the same time. And I honestly don't know how anyone can do it after 4 weeks either!! I have worked up strength in the right leg as the left gets worse by the day. I have worked on getting the muscles strong for a better recovery this time. Now I am actually looking forward to have the second one done. How does anyone go for years like this?????? Its beyond my scope of imagination!
Cathie
 
Is routine treatment here in the UK, with spinal or GA.
 
When I had my ACL replaced, I had a general and the groin block. I'm not real keen about needles in that area, and the doc had to do some fast talking to get me to agree to it. I'm sure glad he was persistant. That block was the best thing. I had NO pain for three days. The pain after the block wore off wasn't as bad as a headache. I hope I have that option when I get my TKR.

Jay
 
I have had several previous knee surgeries. The first 2 were with general anesthesia and I had problems afterwards. The rest were done with spinal/epidurals and I was completely awake for them. This really helped the surgeons to get a better alignment as I could move my leg through a wide range of movement. The sounds and things did not bother me but then I had a real interest in what was going on. The worse part was that it was cold but they would bring in heated blankets. Also, I really hate that spacey feeling that comes from anesthesia and narcotics.

Good luck
 
Now here's a weirdo for you - this gal actually ENJOYS general anaesthetics!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom